2018 Range Rover

lovingit

The new 2018 full size and Sport RR are slick.  The new grille and headlights are nice touches.  Anyone have experiences with these high end SUVs?  Are the maintenance as bad as the rumors?  For a $100k car, is a Model X better overall?  I just can?t get over the ugly looks of the Model X but like the technology.  But RR exterior and luxurious interior wins.

I dearly miss my Discovery IISE-7. A monster off road, as well as a unique vehicle experience. Two words to the wise:

Extended

Warranty.

Pre-Ford LR's were great, but also spent plenty of time in the shop. The Ford managed LR's were a small step up, but nothing spectacular. For the post-Ford ownership (Tata Motors) I can't say anything about the maintenance experience. Ask anyone who owns a 2015 LR or later vehicle and decide from there. 

Why not lease the LR for 2 yrs? It should be a much less expense than a Model X lease.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
I dearly miss my Discovery IISE-7. A monster off road, as well as a unique vehicle experience. Two words to the wise:

Extended

Warranty.

Pre-Ford LR's were great, but also spent plenty of time in the shop. The Ford managed LR's were a small step up, but nothing spectacular. For the post-Ford ownership (Tata Motors) I can't say anything about the maintenance experience. Ask anyone who owns a 2015 LR or later vehicle and decide from there. 

Why not lease the LR for 2 yrs? It should be a much less expense than a Model X lease.

My .02c
Did you rice it out with snorkel, winch, jerry cans, Hella lamps, etc?

I've always been partial to the D90. Cork gaskets and push rods, a time machine to 1949.

If I had the resources at the time, I would have added a winch, skid plates, a safari rooftop rack and the light package, but by the time I sold it the vehicle had 170k miles and spent weeks at a time in the shop.

(an oldie, as told by my LR mechanic: Why didn't the English ever invent a computer? Because they couldn't engineer it correctly to leak oil")

Hopefully there's a 2004 DII HSE out there somewhere to pick up at a reasonable price, then mod it right. The 04's are last of the "real" off road Disco's.  The new Discovery is nothing more than a Ford Escape with the ground clearance of a Honda Civic rebadged as a luxury off road vehicle. Just be sure not to get any mud on it, or the thing looks like it may fall apart. Blegh.

The 1990's Defender prices are crazy and they're not very utilitarian for anything other than off road. Once the 2020 Defender comes out we'll see if it holds true to the Defender name plate.

My .02c

Buy American and get a a new JL Jeep Wrangler. Upgraded interior, new power sky roof, new turbo engine, significantly improved on road performance, and legendary off road capability.

Never understood the appeal of range rover. Model X at least your paying for a great electric powertrain, and OTA updates. Range rover you get luxury fluff with a massive profit margin, and can role play as a real house wife of oc.

Range rover says ?i spend my money on dumb crap? while tesla says ?i just solved global warming singlehandedly?

I would wait for model x refresh if your going to go tesla though. Current MCU is ancient, uses 2012 nvidia tegras which were slow even for the time. It?s called ?legacy? hardware in the current code. Model 3 has much better, and more modern, hardware all around, despite the cheaper price. The model s and x should get these better systems sometime this year or next.

Either way you?re in for a cool car  :). Enjoy the rr if you get it.

Leasing these cars is the only way to go, or wait for 2 yrs for the price to drop like a ton . In any case, I would never own these toys beyond the mfgr. warranty. 

The cool factor will be much higher in a g-wagon than the more common RR , at least around here

fortune11 said:
Leasing these cars is the only way to go, or wait for 2 yrs for the price to drop like a ton . In any case, I would never own these toys beyond the mfgr. warranty. 

The cool factor will be much higher in a g-wagon than the more common RR , at least around here

I don?t lease because it?s litteraly throwing money in the toilet.

Our anecdotal experience with a Land Rover fully confirms all of the rumors and consumer reports about Land Rovers not only being very expensive to maintain, but also completely unreliable with something always going wrong. We'll be getting rid of ours this year after eight years of lighting cash on fire.

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

Not really. Depends on the lease and the situation.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

Believe me. Yes it is.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

Believe me. Yes it is.

I have to disagree .  It all depends on how you view the usage of the car

If a car is a long term purchase (like a home) which you may even pass on to your kids , then yes , buying makes more sense - no question there

but for many people in the target audience of the luxury European 60-100k vehicle - their goal is to have the latest tech and the shiniest new toy on the block. in that case, if you are charging vehicles every 3 years or so, leasing with the proper incentives makes a lot of sense.  it also means you can afford a more expensive car -- again, I am not saying you should do it, but if thats your intent . 

A good lease target to shoot for is 1% of the MSRP of the vehicle , with zero down and everything rolled into monthlies

So, if you are buying a 60k MSRP BMW 540i , then target $600 per month AFTER taxes and with nothing out of pocket at closing -- now, that would be a good value proposition , if you are changing cars every 3 years or so. 

And that BMW 540i (excellent car by the way) is a much better value proposition than a similar 600 dollar per month 5-y financing (to own) outlay for an optioned up Honda accord btw.

Again, this makes sense if you can finagle a deal like that which many of these German brands do to push out vehicles and get numbers up.  You won't get a deal like that on a Honda  CRV for example.  This also won't work in the first model year of a high in demand car. 

Casually browse the forums of many of these German brands and you can see some great deals, which dealers often match especially at the right time of the year (quarter end, summer end, thanksgiving, December , etc) 

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

Believe me. Yes it is.

Negative, ghost rider.

A business owner can write off the lease cost, so that's 25-30% off the cost to the lease using pre-tax income versus post-tax income.  On top of that,essentially zero maintenance costs - no new tires, no brake jobs, etc.  Maybe 1 oil change and that's it.  Now throw in some MSDs and you're paying almost zero interest and only for the depreciation.  All of that with zero drive off.

I can tell you I come out way ahead on a lease.

fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

Believe me. Yes it is.

If a car is a long term purchase (like a home) which you may even pass on to your kids , then yes , buying makes more sense - no question there

but for many people in the target audience of the luxury European 60-100k vehicle - their goal is to have the latest tech and the shiniest new toy on the block. in that case, if you are charging vehicles every 3 years or so, leasing with the proper incentives makes a lot of sense.  it also means you can afford a more expensive car -- again, I am not saying you should do it, but if thats your intent . 

A good lease target to shoot for is 1% of the MSRP of the vehicle , with zero down and everything rolled into monthlies

So, if you are buying a 60k MSRP BMW 540i , then target $600 per month AFTER taxes and with nothing out of pocket at closing -- now, that would be a good value proposition , if you are changing cars every 3 years or so.

Again, this makes sense if you can finagle a deal like that which many of these German brands do to push out vehicles and get numbers up.  You won't get a deal like that on a Honda  CRV for example.  This also won't work in the first model year of a high in demand car. 

Casually browse the forums of many of these German brands and you can see some great deals, which dealers often match especially at the right time of the year (quarter end, summer end, thanksgiving, December , etc)

1. They get you on the mileage.
2 .You have nothing after the lease. (The option to buy is a joke)
3. In a way some dealerships nickel and dime you when you rerun the car. Especially if you don?t get another car.

Soylent Green Is People said:
If I had the resources at the time, I would have added a winch, skid plates, a safari rooftop rack and the light package, but by the time I sold it the vehicle had 170k miles and spent weeks at a time in the shop.

(an oldie, as told by my LR mechanic: Why didn't the English ever invent a computer? Because they couldn't engineer it correctly to leak oil")

Hopefully there's a 2004 DII HSE out there somewhere to pick up at a reasonable price, then mod it right. The 04's are last of the "real" off road Disco's.  The new Discovery is nothing more than a Ford Escape with the ground clearance of a Honda Civic rebadged as a luxury off road vehicle. Just be sure not to get any mud on it, or the thing looks like it may fall apart. Blegh.

The 1990's Defender prices are crazy and they're not very utilitarian for anything other than off road. Once the 2020 Defender comes out we'll see if it holds true to the Defender name plate.

My .02c
Just like a Jeep is not Jeep unless it has a Willys engine in it (sorry Fiat), no one considers the post 04 discos to be real discos. I make fun of the disco's archaic technology but I also believe that is the appeal of those cars. I find it very romantic that even if your original LR broke down in the middle of Afghanistan, some village mechanic will be able to fix it. The only thing I don't like about the original disco is if you get in an accident, you are probably going to die.

eyephone said:
fortune11 said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
fortune11 said:

Believe me. Yes it is.

1. They get you on the mileage.
2 .You have nothing after the lease. (The option to buy is a joke)
3. In a way some dealerships nickel and dime you when you rerun the car. Especially if you don?t get another car.

1. you can customize the lease to your liking - most commute cars work perfectly fine w 10-12 k miles per year , but your have the option to go higher , just a bigger depreciation and bigger monthly outlay as a result.  even if you go over after , you can prepay for the extra miles before returning it - again, there is  option value there  (for people who value such things)

2.  The whole point of leasing is pay for use .  you do NOT want to own the car .

In the words of the great Spencer Strasmore (Ballers on HBO)

"Trust me.. never buy a depreciating asset. If it drives, flies, floats or f*cks - lease it ! "

3. I have returned 4 leased cars since 2006 and have been dinged only once , for a genuine defect (missing air dam grill) , which I actually was able to fix myself before I returned the car so avoided the charge . And if you roll into a new vehicle of the same brand , they are VERY forgiving . And in any case , how is that different from damage you create on a car that you own ? wouldn't you need to fix that as well ?

I assume eyephone has not leased or he would not have such an absolute viewpoint.

It?s akin to term vs whole life and cash flow.

I have never met a Tesla X owners that said they bought the car because they liked the look.  I?ve had X owners tell me it looks like a load of bread and that they don?t feel that it feels like a six figure car.  The Model S looks nicer.  X owners say that they buy the car because it is electric and the best technology out here.

In the flip side, I haven?t heard many RR owners say that the RR looks ugly.  It actually looks and feels like a six figure car.  The 18 should have better technology but nowhere near the technology of Tesla.  Decisions decisions.

Back