Trying to buy in Irvine is NO Fun

LookieLucy

:'(

Reasons:

1. Being outbid by an all cash buyer.
2. Interesting properties are sold before we can even view them.
3. Inventory seems so limited.
4. Everyone says wait but we have been waiting for years. And even when we try we are unsuccessful.

Frustrating and sad.

Living in Irvine seems like a dream. And looking for a house is a nightmare.

Sorry had to vent.  :'(

Been there done that!!!!!!!!!

LookieLucy said:
:'(

Reasons:

1. Being outbid by an all cash buyer.
2. Interesting properties are sold before we can even view them.
3. Inventory seems so limited.
4. Everyone says wait but we have been waiting for years. And even when we try we are unsuccessful.

Frustrating and sad.

Living in Irvine seems like a dream. And looking for a house is a nightmare.

Sorry had to vent.  :'(

I hear you. I've decided to focus on another area when it's time to buy. You know what, though, all is not lost for you... I bet you're still in a good position financially right now if you're renting so that something to be happy about. Think of the freedom you have now that you won't have once you buy. That's what keeps me happy.

Agreed, buying here is no fun, and it's so time consuming to try and keep on top of everything that I have completely lost all of my free time.  Isn't this supposed to make me happy?

The process of buying a house won't make you happy.  But I'm sure once you finally buy one, you will be relieved.

Oh yeah, imagine if you were going through this in a "good" housing market.  You can always wait for that 15-25% drop in price that everyone is talking about.   

I agree. Inventory in Irvine is relative low for resale and the higher % of cash buyers makes it hard on traditional finance folks. Your frustration with resale is why TIC's business has been so good. People would rather have a sure thing and the ease of a new home purchase.

Personally I can understand your frustration and I too have been waiting for many years. But as SoCal says, there is a lot of pluses  to renting. I feel fortunate to have been a former IHBer and waited--saved me big $$$$.

uciguy said:
Agreed, buying here is no fun, and it's so time consuming to try and keep on top of everything that I have completely lost all of my free time.  Isn't this supposed to make me happy?

We have a little condo (1000 sq feet) in OC. Have a little toddler now so the Irvine school district and nearby parks seem so desirable. A person once told us it's a better investment to buy in a good community than spend on private school. Shrug. I almost want to give up. I'm an idealist and often daydream about living in these homes only to have my bubble burst. I'm quickly becoming a realist though. Maybe we should shift our focus to the new homes? Almost bought a Casero home. But we really like the older homes and park layouts.

It's interesting to see all of you in the same position. I guess my competitors are also made of people just like me and not necessarily just the "evil" FCB.  ;)

We are like you and I find the whole thing depressing.  We are constantly saying to ourselves that it shouldn't be so hard and that buying a home should be a nice experience.

OCMommy said:
We are like you and I find the whole thing depressing.  We are constantly saying to ourselves that it shouldn't be so hard and that buying a home should be a nice experience.
Buying a brand new house is a nice experience.  Buy a resale house is not.  Too many games being played. 

Noma said:
OCMommy said:
Buying a brand new house is a nice experience.  Buy a resale house is not.  Too many games being played. 

There are pluses and minuses to both resale and new construction and it is a personally choice. It can be tough to find a well priced resale SFR in Irvine but if you have the right RE agent and you are patient, you can find better value in resale.

For my family, renting is still a great option as we wait out this market. No one can predict the future but the more I read about RE news & analysis, it makes me pause about making such a large purchase at this time. This would obviously not be the case for everyone but it works for me.

iacrenter said:
Noma said:
OCMommy said:

There are pluses and minuses to both resale and new construction and it is a personally choice. It can be tough to find a well priced resale SFR in Irvine but if you have the right RE agent and you are patient, you can find better value in resale.

For my family, renting is still a great option as we wait out this market. No one can predict the future but the more I read about RE news & analysis, it makes me pause about making such a large purchase at this time. This would obviously not be the case for everyone but it works for me.

IACRenter,

Do you plan to buy in Irvine some day?  Or are you also considering other cities?

Noma said:
iacrenter said:
Noma said:
OCMommy said:

IACRenter,

Do you plan to buy in Irvine some day?  Or are you also considering other cities?

I do plan on buying and looking primarily in Irvine but would also consider Tustin Ranch.

Noma said:
OCMommy said:

I feel like even buying new has its fair share of BS games being played:
-Having to give all of your financial information to every banker in town to be on their pre-qual lists
-Having to be available for every phase release or be dropped from the list
-Realizing many of the details in the house that you like aren't even options, just designer features
-Having to listen to the BS spouted by sales staff without calling them out on it

However, if I had to pick a single thing that really pisses me off about buying new, it is the fact that these priority list systems are only followed to the extent that the sales staff feels it will help them sell.  At some properties, I've been told I don't have a chance at certain lots because they are saving it for someone else, while at one of the Stonegate properties the staff offered to sell me an unreleased house if I gave them a check right then (and I'm certainly not at the top of their priority list).

I don't see why you cant just let people bid on lots that they want, but if you are going to go with some first-come-first-served list system, I want them to actually follow it. 

uciguy said:
Noma said:
OCMommy said:

-Having to give all of your financial information to every banker in town to be on their pre-qual lists
-Realizing many of the details in the house that you like aren't even options, just designer features
-Having to listen to the BS spouted by sales staff without calling them out on it

However, if I had to pick a single thing that really pisses me off about buying new, it is the fact that these priority list systems are only followed to the extent that the sales staff feels it will help them sell.  At some properties, I've been told I don't have a chance at certain lots because they are saving it for someone else, while at one of the Stonegate properties the staff offered to sell me an unreleased house if I gave them a check right then (and I'm certainly not at the top of their priority list).

I don't see why you cant just let people bid on lots that they want, but if you are going to go with some first-come-first-served list system, I want them to actually follow it.

I agree. I was told that certain people get to bid on houses in the new Irvine communities EVEN BEFORE THE FIRST PEOLE ON PRIORITY LISTS!!. How does that happen and how do I get on those lists?

markspitz11 said:
uciguy said:
Noma said:
OCMommy said:

I agree. I was told that certain people get to bid on houses in the new Irvine communities EVEN BEFORE THE FIRST PEOLE ON PRIORITY LISTS!!. How does that happen and how do I get on those lists?
That's BS and whoever told you that is full of it.

markspitz11 said:
uciguy said:
Noma said:
OCMommy said:

i'd like to know where or who you heard that from...

I think what Mark is saying is there are people who are "reserved" homes before those on the list, not necessarily before they can see the models or prices.

I remember there was a lot we were interested in at Villa Rosa in Woodbury so we were waiting for it to come up on a phase release but the builder told us that it was already being held for someone. We were given the impression it was someone related to either the builder, the preferred lender or TIC.

When the phase did release, that particular lot was already sold.

Not sure what is true or not, but I remember some discussion about the priority list with the guys over at OCR and they claimed there were a set number of people who are given first crack before the general public.

Back