Where to buy? Top of the World or Turtle Rock/Ridge?

melodypowell

I posted a while ago asking about where to buy, had some great input. We have narrowed it down to two areas: Turtle Rock/Ridge or TOW Laguna Beach. This forum seems to favor newer constructions, but we've toured a lot of model homes in North Irvine area since my last post and have decided they are not for us.

1. Most important thing to us is a very family oriented neighborhood. We want our kids to go to a neighborhood school and playing with neighboring kids. We have twin toddlers currently but may be adding one more in the future. I have driven through both neighborhoods quite a bit, Turtle rock has the most family friendly vibe. But I don't believe driving through can give me the most accurate picture either.

2. Max budget 2.75, target is 1.2-2ish. Need at least 4 rooms, prefer 5 bedrooms.

3. Great public schools are very important. My top preference now are TOW, Vista Verde, and Turtle Rock elementary. We would prefer to be within walkable distance to elementary school. High school is not a huge concern, we have rental homes zoned to Uni High, we can move or rebuild later.

4. Husband likes the ocean views in TOW, I want to be in close proximity to after school activities that are mostly in Central and North Irvine. But we do NOT want to live in North Irvine.

5. Commute is not an issue besides the fact I would probably would end up going to Irvine a lot.

I went through IUSD myself and did not find it super competitive, my husband went though Cypress school district. We are not sure how Laguna Beach district compared overall, it seems very impressive on paper. (I am Asian, husband is White)

I know we probably need additional insurance if we lived in TOW, not sure how much is landslide insurance etc and what extra things we need in general.

I would appreciate any comment on these elementary schools and neighborhood. If you were us, where would you choose to live and why?

The problem with top of the world is you have to drive a long ass time to get anywhere.  What is it? about 30 minutes to get to the freeway.  Doesn't Rancho Palo Verdes have this same problem?  It's not for me....friend lives in crystal cove...same 1st world problem...isolated, but the views are nice.

I think it has the problem of being a vacation home....nice to visit, but the drive would get annoying fast.

melodypowell said:
2. Max budget 2.75, target is 1.2-2ish. Need at least 4 rooms, prefer 5 bedrooms.

nothing wrong if so , but just so I understand - your preferred range is 1.2  - 2mm but maximum amt. is 2.7mm  ?  that seems like a very wide range esp at this price point. if you narrow it down some, maybe you will get a more focused response.

This is one of my difficulties (yes I know first world problem), our budget is very open, it's probably even wilder than I've stated. I have toured areas that are mostly 2M+, but I find myself not attracted to the family environment (ie summit at turtle ridge, I went 5+ times since November, never really saw any kids playing at their amazing park), I am more drawn to slightly lower priced neighborhood just because there are many more young children, which is my #1 priority. (ie there is a gated townhome community in turtle ridge that have lots of kids playing, and they all walk to Vista Verde down the hill, but it seems silly to buy in there, because at 1M+ they don't even have driveways, we can afford something much nicer.)

fortune11 said:
melodypowell said:

nothing wrong if so , but just so I understand - your preferred range is 1.2  - 2mm but maximum amt. is 2.7mm  ?  that seems like a very wide range esp at this price point. if you narrow it down some, maybe you will get a more focused response.

melodypowell said:
This is one of my difficulties (yes I know first world problem), our budget is very open, it's probably even wilder than I've stated. I have toured areas that are mostly 2M+, but I find myself not attracted to the family environment (ie summit at turtle ridge, I went 5+ times since November, never really saw any kids playing at their amazing park), I am more drawn to slightly lower priced neighborhood just because there are many more young children, which is my #1 priority. (ie there is a gated townhome community in turtle ridge that have lots of kids playing, and they all walk to Vista Verde down the hill, but it seems silly to buy in there, because at 1M+ they don't even have driveways, we can afford something much nicer.)

one thing you might find is that many people with young families are moving to these new construction neighborhoods and some of the older neighborhoods have people whose kids are about to go to college and while they have new younger families moving in, the mix has not changed enough yet. 

if all your kids activities are centered in Irvine or nearby, top of the world  will be super inconvenient . esp after the initial gloss of ocean views (and showing them off to your friends and relatives)wears off .  Personally I would lean towards Turtle Rock .

Having grown up in Laguna Beach, as the first class to graduate start to finish from TOW, and with family who lives in the TOW area right now, I'm allowed a bit of "home town" rah, rah'ing, and may have a few thoughts on the subject to share....

1) if you need 4-5 BR, in Laguna you have to start at $2m.

2) Inventory is extraordinarily low at this point, but should improve over the next 30 days.

3) Laguna properties might have 4 bedrooms, but one often is the size of a walk in closet. Seeing the home is mission critical in Laguna because descriptions rarely match expectation. There are plenty of unusual properties in town, so also consider multi family homes to expand your choices.

4) Once you're at the top of the hill, everything up there is on bedrock. Extra insurance isn't needed.

If I had your kind of capital to invest, here's a place I've been by over the years:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/2828-Bernard-Ct-92651/home/4886225

Not cantilevered, not vintage, close to TOW, and with a yard. A rare bird.

There are also 3 Brs like this one:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/1332-Cerritos-Dr-92651/home/4892502

That can clearly have a 4th bedroom fit in somewhere. At 3,150 SF, I can't imagine this was originally only a 3br.

This one as well is a 3br... plus an office... so when searching on-line, consider the 3br's in your search criteria.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/2894-Zell-Dr-92651/home/4886123

PM if you'd like more insight on areas or homes.

My .02c

I know the drive is horrible and it's an isolated area. When I was younger, I always felt IUSD is overrated, now even more so with such growth. I just imagined my kids would grow up somewhere "better" and go to "better" schools. Now I've realized not a lot of districts are better than IUSD, Laguna Beach ISD is what I feel might be better after going to see the schools. I do not care about the views in LB, and really not a beach person myself. It's just about the schools to me, though my husband likes the view and he's at home most the time. 

fortune11 said:
melodypowell said:

one thing you might find is that many people with young families are moving to these new construction neighborhoods and some of the older neighborhoods have people whose kids are about to go to college and while they have new younger families moving in, the mix has not changed enough yet. 

if all your kids activities are centered in Irvine or nearby, top of the world  will be super inconvenient . esp after the initial gloss of ocean views (and showing them off to your friends and relatives)wears off .  Personally I would lean towards Turtle Rock .

If you don't care about view and beach, TOW is not really value for money.

For family friendly at your price range I think of Port Streets in NB. School flow is
Andersen ES -> CdM MS/HS.

HMart said:

For family friendly at your price range I think of Port Streets in NB. School flow is

Port Streets feels like classic Mayberry. Love the vibe. Schools seemed good and less competitive than Irvine, though perhaps more social pressures, based on stuff I've heard from friends with kids in Newport schools. There's pressure to live the "Newport lifestyle" which wasn't for us.

We almost bought a house in the Port streets, also considered another place in Spyglass Hill/Corona Del Mar. Nice views, more privacy, not cookie cutter.

But in the end, we decided it was too much of a hassle driving back and forth to all my kids activities (which were centered in central/north Irvine), much like the OP's situation. We basically looked at all the neighborhoods that you are considering and in your price range, OP, with the exception of Laguna, due to inconvenience, and ultimately, the proximity to kids activities, shopping, good but not overly competitive schools without overwhelming Asian population, new house, lot size, views, and overall beauty of the neighborhood--led us to Orchard Hills, TUSD side.  I've been here almost three years and love it here. There's lots of families here, and almost all homes are owner occupied, not renters, in my tract.

misme said:
HMart said:

Port Streets feels like classic Mayberry. Love the vibe. Schools seemed good and less competitive than Irvine, though perhaps more social pressures, based on stuff I've heard from friends with kids in Newport schools. There's pressure to live the "Newport lifestyle" which wasn't for us.

We almost bought a house in the Port streets, also considered another place in Spyglass Hill/Corona Del Mar. Nice views, more privacy, not cookie cutter.

But in the end, we decided it was too much of a hassle driving back and forth to all my kids activities (which were centered in central/north Irvine), much like the OP's situation. We basically looked at all the neighborhoods that you are considering and in your price range, OP, with the exception of Laguna, due to inconvenience, and ultimately, the proximity to kids activities, shopping, good but not overly competitive schools without overwhelming Asian population, new house, lot size, views, and overall beauty of the neighborhood--led us to Orchard Hills, TUSD side.  I've been here almost three years and love it here. There's lots of families here, and almost all homes are owner occupied, not renters, in my tract.

Blaze Bernstein's killer lives on one of the Port Streets.

Soylent Green Is People said:
If I had your kind of capital to invest, here's a place I've been by over the years:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Beach/2828-Bernard-Ct-92651/home/4886225

Not cantilevered, not vintage, close to TOW, and with a yard. A rare bird.

this is a rare find indeed .  5br for that price .  hopefully nothing else wrong with it but almost seems like a "value" buy in that price range, esp w the beautiful views. 

OP -- if you are focused on schools -- Laguna beach I would say is better than Irvine -- esp at the HS level.  Not crazy competitive and much better balance.  For these reasons, we were almost tempted to put a bid on a place in the same area years ago.  In the end , practicality won out and we ended up in IUSD. 

But know that your life will revolve around the PCH and visiting any friends in Irvine or any activities will always feel like a special "project" involving careful planning around traffic etc.  You have to be ready to be able to commit to it.

Culturally speaking, Laguna Beach also has a much better vibe than the more ostentatious parts of  Newport Beach where everyone is sweating it out to be extra cool and hip.

misme said:
HMart said:

Nailed it

Thank you! This is very helpful~~ My husband and I both have a very hard time imagining ourselves living in the new development in North Irvine. We toured Beacon park and altair, we like the layout of the homes, but just not the area at all. We also drove through Orchard Hills, it just felt so FAR north, so far from UCI. I will go back in another month maybe take a second look. What tract are you in?

misme said:
HMart said:

sent you a PM

melodypowell said:
Thank you! This is very helpful~~ My husband and I both have a very hard time imagining ourselves living in the new development in North Irvine. We toured Beacon park and altair, we like the layout of the homes, but just not the area at all. We also drove through Orchard Hills, it just felt so FAR north, so far from UCI. I will go back in another month maybe take a second look. What tract are you in?

misme said:
HMart said:

Having the kind of budget you have, I would purchase a large lot home in TRock and renovate. That area is awesome, somewhat close to the freeway, and TRock Elem is a great school. The only con is the the middle school is not walkable.

If you want newer, you can go TRidge, but those homes are smaller, however it might have neighbors similar in age range to you and your kids as Trock has a wider range of families (UCI students, elders, etc). But, Vista Verde is K-8 and year-round schedule.

Thanks! We have thought about rebuilding, our current plan is buy one to live in now and actually rebuild the house we own in UP (that one is from the early 60s, right next to Rancho Middle), so we can move back if we want after elementary school. Thinking of copying one of altair's models actually.

In TRidge, we are also considering Arborel, the detached townhomes next to the summit, there are a lot of young families there which is what we are looking for, and an easier walk to Vista Verde. I just can't really get over the fact that we won't even have a driveway.... 

irvinehomeowner said:
Having the kind of budget you have, I would purchase a large lot home in TRock and renovate. That area is awesome, somewhat close to the freeway, and TRock Elem is a great school. The only con is the the middle school is not walkable.

If you want newer, you can go TRidge, but those homes are smaller, however it might have neighbors similar in age range to you and your kids as Trock has a wider range of families (UCI students, elders, etc). But, Vista Verde is K-8 and year-round schedule.

I?m currently having a similar predicament. I live in turtle rdidge and moved here for vista verde, but now that my child is ready to go into the elementary school system, I am hesitant to put him in due to the large class size and teacher ratio as well as curriculum.  I have also looked into El Morro in Laguna as I hear class ratio is 1:20-24 or so in elementary and their curriculum seems to par. However, I don?t know anyone that has kids that have gone through all Morro to truly tell me their experience. But based on research and numbers TOW and El Morro seem to have great credentials. I would research more about Vista Verde, it?s not as good as it used to be.

bones said:
wait - irvine schools aren't as good as advertised?  I'm shocked.
Irvine schools are indeed not as good as advertised if your kids are Asian and have hopes of getting into Ivy league schools  :D

The ?greatness? of Irvine schools would be a result of 95% of the families enlisting the support of after school tutors as the preferred form of daycare. Sadly, kids don?t get to run around and play anymore.

Back