Author Topic: Midterm Elections  (Read 64076 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 563
  • -Received: 464
Re: Midterm Elections
« Reply #2055 on: December 06, 2018, 03:44:59 PM »
Actual voter fraud!

The state’s Board of Elections voted unanimously Nov. 27 to not certify the results amid the ongoing investigation. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the favorite to be speaker in the new Congress next year, said Thursday that the House could refuse to seat Harris.

The Charlotte Observer has called for a new election and said North Carolina law would allow it.

“North Carolina General Statute 163A-1180 authorizes the Board of Elections to intervene and ‘take any other action necessary to assure that an election is determined without taint of fraud or corruption and without irregularities that may have changed the result of an election,’” wrote the Observer editorial staff. “The board should call for a new NC-09 general election.”

News stories have quoted residents of Bladen County saying their absentee ballots were collected by strangers who knocked on their doors. Absentee ballots are often cast by voters who are unable to get to the polls on Election Day, and in the Ninth District, in the southern part of the state, they mostly broke for Democrat Dan McCready. Harris carried Bladen County, the only one of the eight counties in the district where McCready didn’t win the absentee ballot count, by 1,557 votes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-fraud-charges-north-carolina-house-race-may-headed-211359304.html

Of course the "will of the people" is just for non-GOPers as GOP have decided that they know better.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 283
  • -Received: 552
« Reply #2056 on: December 06, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »
Actual voter fraud!

The state’s Board of Elections voted unanimously Nov. 27 to not certify the results amid the ongoing investigation. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, the favorite to be speaker in the new Congress next year, said Thursday that the House could refuse to seat Harris.

The Charlotte Observer has called for a new election and said North Carolina law would allow it.

“North Carolina General Statute 163A-1180 authorizes the Board of Elections to intervene and ‘take any other action necessary to assure that an election is determined without taint of fraud or corruption and without irregularities that may have changed the result of an election,’” wrote the Observer editorial staff. “The board should call for a new NC-09 general election.”

News stories have quoted residents of Bladen County saying their absentee ballots were collected by strangers who knocked on their doors. Absentee ballots are often cast by voters who are unable to get to the polls on Election Day, and in the Ninth District, in the southern part of the state, they mostly broke for Democrat Dan McCready. Harris carried Bladen County, the only one of the eight counties in the district where McCready didn’t win the absentee ballot count, by 1,557 votes.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-fraud-charges-north-carolina-house-race-may-headed-211359304.html

Of course the "will of the people" is just for non-GOPers as GOP have decided that they know better.

This is what the GOP has come to. No statement from Trump so far? Why not? If it was a Democrat who did this he would be tweeting about this non stop! Lol

So a brief summary what happened is that a mysterious person(s) or shall I say people went door to door picking up ballots. (Allegedly) It just happen that majority of the ballots that they picked up weren’t counted were Democrats. So now the NC State election board which are majority Republicans won’t ceritfy the election because of this situation. I just heard on the news that the NC state election board is looking to invistigate and will potentially file criminal charges.

The number of votes that were not counted may swing the election.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:54:54 PM by eyephone »

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 154
  • -Received: 180
« Reply #2057 on: December 06, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
Poetic justice that after all the hoopla over “election fraud” from trumpsters , the one tangible real world  example that we find is a dirty republican politician :)

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 538
  • -Received: 866
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #2058 on: December 06, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
Not to say there isn't some measure of monkey business going on in North Carolina, but the D's might not want too stringent of a review of NC's Ballot Harvesting process. It's about as flawed as California's and thus might open a few Orange County races open to review.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/disputed-house-race-puts-spotlight-on-ballot-harvesting/2018/12/06/da85c430-f9b7-11e8-8642-c9718a256cbd_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.af237a62ea3b

and

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-what-is-ballot-harvesting-in-california-election-code-20181204-htmlstory.html

The opportunity for fraud is rife within our voting process. Eliminating this opportuny should be a priority. Many love to say "but it's too hard to vote" to which I would  say "boo 'effin hoo!" Voting should be taken seriously. If it's too hard, perhaps voting isn't something you should be doing.

To reform the system and put some integrity back in the process - why not take clear obvious steps:

1) Make election day a holiday so excuses about ability to vote are wiped out.
2) Required a photo ID to vote.
3) No Mail In/Provisional/Absentee votes accepted after 1 week before live, in-person voting begins. If you want to vote from home, get it done. If you can't get it done in a timely manner, you can still choose option 1.

It's not that tough to keep the process open, fair, easily accessible and tamp down on the ability to commit fraud at the same time. Both the right and the left surely can see the value in making the system less prone to shenanigans. 

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #2059 on: December 06, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
Actual voter fraud!

This is what the GOP has come to. No statement from Trump so far? Why not? If it was a Democrat who did this he would be tweeting about this non stop! Lol

So a brief summary what happened is that a mysterious person(s) or shall I say people went door to door picking up ballots. (Allegedly) It just happen that majority of the ballots that they picked up weren’t counted were Democrats. So now the NC State election board which are majority Republicans won’t ceritfy the election because of this situation. I just heard on the news that the NC state election board is looking to invistigate and will potentially file criminal charges.

The number of votes that were not counted may swing the election.

Not to mention all the lame-duck bills being passed to block Dems from doing things in Wisconsin and Michigan.  It's okay...people on to GOP games now...desperate gasp of a dying party.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #2060 on: December 06, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
Not to say there isn't some measure of monkey business going on in North Carolina, but the D's might not want too stringent of a review of NC's Ballot Harvesting process. It's about as flawed as California's and thus might open a few Orange County races open to review.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/disputed-house-race-puts-spotlight-on-ballot-harvesting/2018/12/06/da85c430-f9b7-11e8-8642-c9718a256cbd_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.af237a62ea3b

and

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-what-is-ballot-harvesting-in-california-election-code-20181204-htmlstory.html

The opportunity for fraud - not a focus on provable fraud, but the way fraud opportunities begin - is rife within our voting process. Eliminating the opportunity will take changes in the voting process. Many love to say "but it's too hard to vote" to which I say "boo 'effin hoo!" Voting should be taken seriously. If it's too hard, perhaps voting isn't something you should be doing.

To reform the system and put some integrity back in the process - why not take clear obvious steps:

1) Make election day a holiday so excuses about ability to vote are wipes out.
2) Photo ID required to vote.
3) No Mail In/Provisional/Absentee votes accepted after 1 week before live, in-person voting begins. If you want to vote from home, get it done. If you can't get it done in a timely manner, you can still choose option 1.

It's not that tough to keep the process open, fair, easily accessible and tamp down on the ability to commit fraud at the same time. Both the right and the left surely can see the value in making the system less prone to shenanigans.

It's not zero sum game...more hurdles you put up for voting..the more you discourage voting...more likelihood of mistakes, discrepancies, and long lines. 

Georgia is fantastic example of that.

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Lender, Abiding Dude.
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 538
  • -Received: 866
  • Make Room! Make Room!
« Reply #2061 on: December 06, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
If voting is to be taken seriously, hurdles and long lines are part of the process. I'm glad to wait in a 1/2 hour line, as I did during the mid-terms, because it's important. Thankfully it was less time than at the DMV, but still a time commitment.

Everyone will have something to complain about. "I don't have a photo ID" - ORLY? You have almost 24 months until the 2020 election. Get one. "I can't take Tuesday off" It's a holiday, you have the day off. "I forgot to put a stamp on my ballot" - hmmm perhaps voting isn't for you.

People camp out for days before Black Friday. Other people will jam up The Cheesecake Factory for a free slice. If the Government said if you vote you'd get $1.50, the line would be endless and the wait forever. It's a question of priority. If someone is willing wait in line for $1.50 but not for voting itself without $1.50, the priority one has about voting is woefully misplaced. I don't want people like that to be voting frankly, and neither should most readers here.

Changes need to come. Let's hope they are sooner than later.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:13:27 PM by Soylent Green Is People »

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #2062 on: December 06, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
If voting is to be taken seriously, hurdles and long lines are part of the process. I'm glad to wait in a 1/2 hour line, as I did during the mid-terms, because it's important. Thankfully it was less time than at the DMV, but still a time commitment.

Everyone will have something to complain about. "I don't have a photo ID" - ORLY? You have almost 24 months until the 2020 election. Get one. "I can't take Tuesday off" It's a holiday, you have the day off. "I forgot to put a stamp on my ballot" - hmmm perhaps voting isn't for you.

People camp out for days before Black Friday. Other people will jam up The Cheesecake Factory for a free slice. If the Government said if you vote you'd get $1.50, the line would be endless and the wait forever. It's a question of priority. If someone is willing wait in line for $1.50 but not for voting itself without $1.50, the priority one has about voting is woefully misplaced. I don't want people like that to be voting frankly, and neither should most readers here.

Some people camp out for Black Friday or for free cheesecake but most people don't.  That's not the goal of voting.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #2063 on: December 06, 2018, 05:48:54 PM »
Let me explain it to you in terms you can understand.
(Hypothetical) If a loan brokerage charged customers more fees. Do you honestly expect they will get a lot of business vs a competitor that has no fees for a refi? [or if the refi fees were previously $100 and then down the line they refi a year later they find out the new fees are refi $5k.] Do you expect the customer to be loyal and pay the higher refi fees? Probably not! So why would a Californians vote for someone that raised their taxes.

As you are aware, the new tax law is not favorable to Californians. Do you expect Californians to vote for someone who in essence raised their taxes? (limit the reductions)

Do you remember the post that I previously made? One of the host from Squak Box on CNBC previously mentioned the day after Election Day that he still gets tweets from people that mention that all they care about their tax cuts. (How many months after the new tax law passed and people still upset) To me this clearly shows that people dont care about anything else but their taxes which effect their pocket book.

Why didn’t you comment about the other house races that flipped from GOP to Democrat? (Throughout the US)

and

The opportunity for fraud is rife within our voting process. Eliminating this opportuny should be a priority. Many love to say "but it's too hard to vote" to which I would  say "boo 'effin hoo!" Voting should be taken seriously. If it's too hard, perhaps voting isn't something you should be doing.

1) Make election day a holiday so excuses about ability to vote are wiped out.
2) Required a photo ID to vote.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:43:55 PM by eyephone »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #2064 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
This is a stretch when you are comparing voting to Black Friday. Also, there are people that waited in line for hours to vote throughout the US.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:06:35 PM by eyephone »

Offline Kangen.Irvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 75
  • -Received: 25
    • Change Your Water, Change Your Life!
« Reply #2065 on: December 06, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
Then again many Californians voted for state legislators who have been raising taxes in a variety of ways.

Perhaps it is time to remove the D or R from candidate names.

Online morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 239
  • -Received: 255
« Reply #2066 on: December 06, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »
Morons in Cali have been voting for politicians who have done nothing but raise their taxes...hell they re affirmed a gas tax on all uf us just this last election. Why should they be butt hurt about their taxes when they vote on a national election?

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #2067 on: December 06, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
Morons in Cali have been voting for politicians who have done nothing but raise their taxes...hell they re affirmed a gas tax on all uf us just this last election. Why should they be butt hurt about their taxes when they vote on a national election?

The gas tax is peanuts compared to the tax increase to Californians. Also, I find it funny how some GOP based their campaign on the gas tax and loss. They even had almost the same color scheme on their election signs. (Yellow and blue) my gosh lol

How about the idea get better candidates? Also, Trump even mention before that they will lose the house before the election.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:25:09 PM by eyephone »

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 154
  • -Received: 180
« Reply #2068 on: December 06, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »
Let’s call a spade a spade . What happened in N.C district 9 was deemed shameful by even the local Republican Party head .

Obfuscating the real crime w essays about how to make elections better won’t  make the issue become another “both sides are bad”  thing

There is one party that has shown time and again , that wants to make voting difficult and hates democracy — because they cannot really survive in a true democracy with non gerrymandered districts .

California shows what happens when you make voting easy. People here think tax law change is what doomed republicans. Not exactly . Look at the voting breakdown - younger demographic voted in record numbers and crushed the GOP .
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 06:31:58 AM by fortune11 »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #2069 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
Someone had to make a smart remark and bring up election fraud in California. So is he also saying there was fraud throughout the US in house governors and state races? (I think it’s rediculous to not respect election results. But if there is evidence that there is something wrong like NC then bring it up)

Another thing I would like to point out that the OC Register endorsed the following GOP candidates running for house of Reps for the 2018 election:
Mimi Walters (result loss)
Young Kim (result loss)
Dana Rohrabacher (result loss)
Diane Harkey (result loss)

[I have screen shots for support let me know if you would like me to post it]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by eyephone »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links