Author Topic: Midterm Elections  (Read 135555 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 585
  • -Received: 508
Re: Midterm Elections
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
If CNN cannot deny economic reality, how can the electorate ignore it too?

Trump administration is helping a lost generation of workers recover

(CNN)According to the latest jobs numbers released by the Labor Department on Friday, something wonderful is happening: Americans are reentering the labor force, growing the size of the labor market at rates not seen for over 15 years.

So let's hope Friday's good news on jobs and labor participation portends a reversal of a bad trend -- Americans not working or looking for work. The prime age (25-54) labor participation rate sits at 82.2%, a number not seen since a swoon in this metric began in 2010 and after a slow and steady increase since December 2016.
Recovering this generation of lost workers and helping them forge productive lives for themselves, their families and their communities would be one of the best possible outcomes of the Trump presidency.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/09/opinions/trump-jobs-report-is-good-news-for-labor-participation-jennings-opinion/index.html

It's a opinion piece.  It's funny that CNN is perceived by the Trumpsters as this bastion of leftist media.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 341
  • -Received: 355
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
Tell that to US Steelworkers unions...

United Steelworkers' Leo Gerard: Members Won't Forget What Trump Did, He Stopped Wealth Transfer

In an interview with a combative Chuck Todd, Leo Gerard, President of the United Steelworks, praised the effect of President Trump's newly proclaimed tariffs would have on the U.S. steel market. Gerard praised Trump for making it clear he is going to "tackle trade deficits" which he called a "wealth transfer" because they are "taking good jobs away."

Gerard said Trump was able to "see the steelworker agenda" and "he's going to have a major impact on our members" with what he has done.

"It's going to make it very hard for our members to ignore what he just did and what makes me sad is we've been trying to get Democrats to this for more than 30 years," Gerard told Todd.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/03/08/united_steelworkers_leo_gerard_members_wont_forget_what_trump_did_he_stopped_wealth_transfer.html

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 355
  • -Received: 613
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
"And Conor Lamb: Lamb the Sham, Lamb the Sham - he’s trying to act like a Republican so he gets…he won’t give me one vote. Look, I don’t know him. Looks like a nice guy.

"I hear he’s nice-looking. I think I’m better-looking than him. I do. I do. I do. And he’s slightly younger than me. Slightly. No, I heard that, then I saw, he’s okay. He’s all right. Personally, I like Rick . I think he’s handsome."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/im-better-looking-conor-lamb-trump-tells-pa-rally-gop-candidate

My comment: Trump politics, if a person is nice/good looking then that person should win? If that’s the case Rick the GOP candidate should loose? I think Trump shouldn’t have said anything, now that thought is in people’s mind. (the thought: the good looking person must be a better politician?) lol

Really Unbelievable!!
Looks like Lamb wins the congressional seat in Pennsylvania.

Trump won that area by around 20% during the presidential elections.
President Trump and Donald Jr went campaigning for Rick Saccone.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:44:02 AM by eyephone »

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 222
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 07:45:40 AM »
"And Conor Lamb: Lamb the Sham, Lamb the Sham - he’s trying to act like a Republican so he gets…he won’t give me one vote. Look, I don’t know him. Looks like a nice guy.

"I hear he’s nice-looking. I think I’m better-looking than him. I do. I do. I do. And he’s slightly younger than me. Slightly. No, I heard that, then I saw, he’s okay. He’s all right. Personally, I like Rick . I think he’s handsome."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/im-better-looking-conor-lamb-trump-tells-pa-rally-gop-candidate

My comment: Trump politics, if a person is nice/good looking then that person should win? If that’s the case Rick the GOP candidate should loose? I think Trump shouldn’t have said anything, now that thought is in people’s mind. (the thought: the good looking person must be a better politician?) lol

Really Unbelievable!!
Looks like Lamb wins the congressional seat in Pennsylvania.

Trump won that are by around 20% during the presidential elections.
President Trump and Donald Jr went campaigning for Rick Saccone.

Looks like this country of ours still has a pulse

the democrat swung a Trump +20 district in his favor

and it is 97% or so white -- so repubs cant even claim foul play (after all only brown and black people commit voter fraud , right)

As I have been saying for a while -- less chest thumping and more focus on actual results ...

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 101
  • -Received: 353
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
Moderates winning over hard right or hard left candidates is a good thing.

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »
Moderates winning over hard right or hard left candidates is a good thing.

Agree . And this should be a lesson for Democrats choosing candidates for Nov . Have to say they have been pretty smart about it so far judging by both Alabama and now this .

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 08:52:11 AM »
Don’t assign too much importance to this little win. This district won’t even exist in a year and lamb essentially ran as a Republican. This will be forgotten in the next six months.

“He’s pro-gun. He says he’s personally pro-life. He says he’s pro-coal, he’s pro-tariff. He says he's anti-Nancy Pelosi,” McEnany said on ABC News ahead of the election results Tuesday.

“Imagine that, a Democratic candidate who’s against Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader,” she said. “He has made himself into essentially a Republican. So you have a Republican in name and a Republican in truth running against one another.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/378280-rnc-spokeswoman-dem-has-essentially-run-as-a-republican-in-pa-house-race

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 355
  • -Received: 613
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
This is not a fluke. What happened in Alabama?

Don’t assign too much importance to this little win. This district won’t even exist in a year and lamb The essentially ran as a Republican. This will be forgotten in the next six months.

“He’s pro-gun. He says he’s personally pro-life. He says he’s pro-coal, he’s pro-tariff. He says he's anti-Nancy Pelosi,” McEnany said on ABC News ahead of the election results Tuesday.

“Imagine that, a Democratic candidate who’s against Nancy Pelosi, the minority leader,” she said. “He has made himself into essentially a Republican. So you have a Republican in name and a Republican in truth running against one another.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/378280-rnc-spokeswoman-dem-has-essentially-run-as-a-republican-in-pa-house-race

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 09:06:28 AM »
Yeah right .. until yesterday repubs were calling Lamb a tax hiking , gun grabbing , pelosi clone who will let illegal immigrants slaughter unborn children ...

And now the spin is — look , he is basically a republican :)

Jokes apart , I am actually glad he didn’t focus too much on identity politics — it is a non winner in all except the coastal enclaves . He does seem to be very pro union though .

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:36 AM »
Maybe their learning to move away from that....I hope not.

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 574
  • -Received: 396
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »
Yeah right .. until yesterday repubs were calling Lamb a tax hiking , gun grabbing , pelosi clone who will let illegal immigrants slaughter unborn children ...

Jokes apart , I am actually glad he didn’t focus too much on identity politics — it is a non winner in all except the coastal enclaves . He does seem to be very pro union though .

In other words he is a Trump democrat.

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:12 AM »

Raegan Democrat is more like it

I really don’t know how you define a trump democrat anymore given the baggage on him now . Trumps policies can hardly be called pro union . Pro Carl Icahn types , yes . But not pro union .

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 574
  • -Received: 396
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »

I really don’t know how you define a trump democrat anymore given the baggage on him now . Trumps policies can hardly be called pro union . Pro Carl Icahn types , yes . But not pro union .

He's not pro-union per se.  He's pro-job creation, with a heavy emphasis on blue collar industries.  This naturally benefits the unions, which even the leader of the United Steel Workers had to admit last week.  It doesn't mean Trump is a puppet of the unions the way a typical CA democrat would be.  He's still going to do what's best for the country, not just what's best for the union bosses.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
This is not a fluke. What happened in Alabama?

Don’t assign too much importance to this little win. This district won’t even exist in a year and lamb The essentially ran as a Republican. This will be forgotten in the next six months.

Just like Roy Moore, Repubs threw this guy under the bus.  Hard to win when you have to fight both parties at once and run against a mirror of yourself.  This wasn't a repudiation of Trumpism, although they will play it up us as some sort of kill shot. In the end, this and Bama won't matter a wit.

Republicans trash their candidate in Pa. special election

But as election day grows closer, the national GOP is increasingly pinning the blame on Saccone. In interviews with nearly two dozen administration officials, senior House Republicans and top party strategists, Saccone was nearly universally panned as a deeply underwhelming candidate who leaned excessively on the national party to execute a massive, multimillion-dollar rescue effort. It was complete with visits from the president, vice president and several Cabinet members.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/07/republicans-pennsylvania-special-election-445221

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »

He's not pro-union per se.  He's pro-job creation, with a heavy emphasis on blue collar industries.  This naturally benefits the unions, which even the leader of the United Steel Workers had to admit last week.  It doesn't mean Trump is a puppet of the unions the way a typical CA democrat would be.  He's still going to do what's best for the country, not just what's best for the union bosses.

Best for the country as in saving duds like “coal “ or saving a feeble thousand steel jobs at the expense of hurting millions others ?

Trump is really an 80s caricature in terms of his thinking on what matters now

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts