Author Topic: Looks like Amazon's 2nd headquarter in Atlanta is starting to become REAL.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 565
  • -Received: 469
Re: Looks like Amazon's 2nd headquarter in Atlanta is starting to become REAL.
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »
@fortune11:

I agree, while social media can be a loss of productivity, it also gives a voice to those previously unheard. But at the same time, it also allows voices who should not be heard to have more access (bullying, racism, etc).

But I still feel the negatives are worth the benefits. If businesses aren't good for society, why would people want Amazon to put HQ2 near them?

I think there are plenty of good things about capitalism and businesses but there is a need for significant governmental oversight.   Left to their own devices, businesses and corporations are willing to destroy society and individuals. 

Again, there is a balance to be had.  Libertarian worship of business and capitalism as the answers to everything just lack balance.

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 161
  • -Received: 192
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
@fortune11:

I agree, while social media can be a loss of productivity, it also gives a voice to those previously unheard. But at the same time, it also allows voices who should not be heard to have more access (bullying, racism, etc).

But I still feel the negatives are worth the benefits. If businesses aren't good for society, why would people want Amazon to put HQ2 near them?

People esp politicians have short horizons

Like when they take on massive public debt to build ROI negative stadiums and subsidize billionaire team  owners

This is not much different . Ultimately having a well educated cohort of employable people is the best mix that should naturally attract businesses . Witness how attractive most college towns are from a real estate ROI perspective — even for commercial landlords .

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »
Here is capitalism for you as practiced in this country

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2011
  • -Received: 3475
  • 3CWG
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 11:24:12 AM »
@fortune11:

I think there are plenty of good things about capitalism and businesses but there is a need for significant governmental oversight.   Left to their own devices, businesses and corporations are willing to destroy society and individuals. 

But who watches the watchmen? I know we've discussed this before but because government doesn't really have profit/loss to look out for, their "interests" aren't entirely for the good of society. And yes, they can be voted out... but they can get voted back in again and nothing improves.

Again, there is a balance to be had.  Libertarian worship of business and capitalism as the answers to everything just lack balance.

I agree... balance... the but the same logic applies to having the government do things that they shouldn't be involved in. That's the balance to me, let the government take care of laws, protection and some welfare, let business take care of consumers, and let charities do the rest.

Simplistic but that's how I see it.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 12:00:17 PM »
@fortune11:

But who watches the watchmen? I know we've discussed this before but because government doesn't really have profit/loss to look out for, their "interests" aren't entirely for the good of society. And yes, they can be voted out... but they can get voted back in again and nothing improves.

I agree... balance... the but the same logic applies to having the government do things that they shouldn't be involved in. That's the balance to me, let the government take care of laws, protection and some welfare, let business take care of consumers, and let charities do the rest.

Simplistic but that's how I see it.

Transparency is the best antidote - force disclosure at all levels , including government.

Even some charities are opaque and little more than a way to shield income and gains

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Kings

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 180
  • -Received: 197
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »
Here is capitalism for you as practiced in this country

it's missing the part where the rich white man is now selling bridges to the poor millennial that can't afford them!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: SCOTUS by fortune11
[Today at 04:44:55 AM]

Snowflakes by morekaos
[Yesterday at 10:12:03 PM]

Re: SCOTUS by Ready2Downsize
[Yesterday at 09:25:29 PM]