Toilet Flushing Noise

ak

Is it normal to hear toilet flushing noise downstairs whenever someone flushes from the upstairs bathroom?  It is kinda embarrassing when you have people over visiting.  Anyway to fix this issue? 

freedomcm said:
That is the difference that cheaping out on construction makes:  PVC versus iron drain stack pipes.

Does any builder use iron drain stack pipes?  Is this something a buyer of a new home can request as an upgrade?

R-13 insulation will take care of the noise.
It?s called Pink Panther insulation made from fiber glass. Usually installed between walls to reduce noice but can also be installed between floors especially in single family homes. You?ll need an opening in the ceiling like a can light opening to access the open space between floors.

AlexG said:
It?s called Pink Panther insulation made from fiber glass. Usually installed between walls to reduce noice but can also be installed between floors especially in single family homes. You?ll need an opening in the ceiling like a can light opening to access the open space between floors.

Thanks AlexG.  How difficult would this be to get done?  Does a general contractor need to rip out the ceiling drywall below the upstairs bathrooms?

AlexG said:

I don't think that's true depending on how the plumbing is designed.

Just like you can hear rain no matter how much insulation is between you and the roof... water tends to transfer sound just because all the plumbing makes noise whenever water is run.

I can tell when the sprinklers are on outside, when someone is taking a shower, running the sink, etc depending on if I'm near the supply route.

I think a dry walker or a painter can do the job. Not too involved if it?s only one section that needs insulation. Worst cases it might require an opening to completely insulate the affected area. Regarding the sprinkler comment, I think the sound is transmitted the windows more than through the walls. The rain noise is also heard through the hollow attic.

Back