Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget

melodypowell

Hello, this is my first post, but have been reading it as a guest for some time. My husband and I are looking to buy a new home, but I am having a hard time deciding on the neighborhood. We are in our early 30s, we both grew up in OC (we met at UCI), I am Chinese and he is white, we have twin toddlers and are thinking of having more children. My husband runs a small company in Vegas currently, but will work from home when we move back to Irvine. I have worked in tax/finance my entire career and would love to continue to work. (I miss Broadcom's cafeteria lol) We own two small rentals in Irvine/CM, but they are too small to move back into now.

Here are what we are looking for:

1. Kids friendly neighborhood but not too crowded either. Both my husband and I played with neighboring kids when we were growing up, it's very important to us that our kids would have a similar environment. Yet, some of the new developments seem too crowded.

2. A development or neighborhood that's within walking distance to a good elementary school. (less than a mile). I would really like specific suggestions, such as street names or neighborhood names. (i.e. Concordia East in Turtle Rock)

3. Our budget is pretty open, the houses I like are mostly in the 1.5-2 range, we can spend more if needed. We are not looking for a show-off house. Fixer uppers or older houses are totally ok. I want whatever is convenient for my kids. Libraries, after school activities are way more important to me than how prestige a neighborhood is. I've recently toured some houses in The Summit of Turtle Ridge, I was disappointed to see no kids playing in their amazing parks on the weekends.

4. At least 5 rooms (doesn't have to be bedrooms, as long as it has a door) with 3 or more bathrooms. I really like Altair Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, but I am not sure about the location, and hate to pay 10K+ a year on mello roos. We do plan to go tour that on our next trip to Irvine. 

5. Prefer guard gated, but not a requirement. A lot of guard gated communities seem to be in not so convenient locations, which is one of my difficulties.

6. Prefer somewhat a bigger yard with grass and/or somewhat a view (hubby's preference). No pool, but prefer to be close to the HOA pool.

If you were us, where would you buy and why? Thank you!!!

You should look at Terra or The Groves at Orchard Hills then maybe the 3 largest SFR homes in Eastwood (Avila, Morro, and Beverly).  Feel free to ping me if you don't have a realtor and want a commission rebate.  ;)

If I had your budget, I'd look near Top of the World elementary in Laguna Beach. Commute sucks, but since you two can work from home, it doesn't matter.

Thank you! I've never even heard of them, I will definitely look into it. I might or might not be commuting to work in the future, I would like a location that's convenient to drive around at least. I plan to drive the kids to Irvine at least for Chinese school, but probably way more activities.

HMart said:
If I had your budget, I'd look near Top of the World elementary in Laguna Beach. Commute sucks, but since you two can work from home, it doesn't matter.

you can also consider some of the bigger single family homes in Northpark which are walking distance to Hicks Canyon

Groves at Orchard Hills. There are quite decent lot sizes to be had, depending on the house--there is variability in the lot size even within a tract. Trevi or La Vita for a view. There is an internal greenbelt to walk to Orchard Hills school. 

Turtle Rock. The neighborhoods around Bonita Canyon or Turtle Rock elementary. Only doesn't fit your guard gated requirement.

Port Streets or Eastbluff neighborhood in Newport are also very family friendly. But it sounds like the center of your kids' activities may be in Irvine, so would be less convenient.

melodypowell said:
Thank you! I've never even heard of them, I will definitely look into it. I might or might not be commuting to work in the future, I would like a location that's convenient to drive around at least. I plan to drive the kids to Irvine at least for Chinese school, but probably way more activities.

HMart said:

Top of the World is NOT convenient to drive around.
Scary as heck going in and out of there...I also would not want my kids playing on the street there...too dangerous

Half of your description fits Orchard Hill and Laguna Altura but the other half fits Stonegate and Eastwood.

I think you just have to go to each neighborhood to get the feel and how you like them.

shahshah said:
I have two kids and if I could live in Woodbridge I would!

Woodbridge is definitely a different lifestyle and era...larger lots, walkable, close to other facilities.  Only issues are that the houses are much older and Woodbridge high is not so great.

Plan 3 of the Los Olivos future residences may be good, 4 bd + loft, gated, near elementary school, mostly small lots except for a lucky few end lots

Irvinecommuter said:
shahshah said:
I have two kids and if I could live in Woodbridge I would!

Woodbridge is definitely a different lifestyle and era...larger lots, walkable, close to other facilities.  Only issues are that the houses are much older and Woodbridge high is not so great.

Yes, exactly different era and lifestyle. Like the 70s and 80s when people could have all of those things. Houses can be renovated on the inside. Also she was asking about elementary school. Woodbridge High is fine and if it is a little lower so what, less competition for her kids. Though I bet with all the renovation in the community center it will get even nicer and the high school will get stronger with time.

AW said:
Plan 3 of the Los Olivos future residences may be good, 4 bd + loft, gated, near elementary school, mostly small lots except for a lucky few end lots

Los Olivos?  Isn?t that an apartment complex?

Hi All, thanks for the input. I have not been looking too much into the newer development, sounds like I definitely should. I have been mostly focusing on a few neighborhoods in Turtle Rock and Woodbridge. High school isn't a huge consideration, I own another house in University Park zoned for Uni, it's pretty old and small one story, but very good lot size, we might rebuild in 10 years, or makes other changes later on. We have toddlers now and maybe more on the way, mostly focusing on elementary years.

I did look at some of the Altair 3D walkthrough tours online earlier, I love Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, it would perfect for us. But I don't want to live in the boonies (at least it feels that way), pay 10k+ additional a year on mello roos and not be able to walk to elementary school.

Jcl725 said:
AW said:

Next to it, assigned to Uni, future residence there is a detached motorcourt condo, Lago clone by IP. Per TLONL.
Only one home with a full driveway.

AW said:
Jcl725 said:
AW said:

Next to it, assigned to Uni, future residence there is a detached motorcourt condo, Lago clone by IP. Per TLONL.
Only one home with a full driveway.

Thanks.  Didn?t know about that.

melodypowell said:
Hi All, thanks for the input. I have not been looking too much into the newer development, sounds like I definitely should. I have been mostly focusing on a few neighborhoods in Turtle Rock and Woodbridge. High school isn't a huge consideration, I own another house in University Park zoned for Uni, it's pretty old and small one story, but very good lot size, we might rebuild in 10 years, or makes other changes later on. We have toddlers now and maybe more on the way, mostly focusing on elementary years.

I did look at some of the Altair 3D walkthrough tours online earlier, I love Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, it would perfect for us. But I don't want to live in the boonies (at least it feels that way), pay 10k+ additional a year on mello roos and not be able to walk to elementary school.

Your mileage in Woodbridge will vary. Even within a community it is hard to predict what your immediate neighbors are going to be like. Although older, the houses are well built and suited for upgrades as needed (especially on the larger lots). We have a community pool on the same block, walk to Elementary School with our neighbors every morning (started in K), an association that organizes lots of family friendly events (concerts in the park, 4th of July parade on wheels, snowday, monthly parents night out at the community center, etc). Our neighbors are very friendly and there are a lot of children that are around our kid's age. There are at least a few block parties on our street. However, I'm told that not every street is like this so any feedback you may get for a given community is mostly for their immediate vicinity on not representative of the neighborhood as a whole.

This is what I look for, may I ask what street is this? I am willing to wait for the right house. My kids are still 2 years away from Kinder.

peppy said:
melodypowell said:

Your mileage in Woodbridge will vary. Even within a community it is hard to predict what your immediate neighbors are going to be like. Although older, the houses are well built and suited for upgrades as needed (especially on the larger lots). We have a community pool on the same block, walk to Elementary School with our neighbors every morning (started in K), an association that organizes lots of family friendly events (concerts in the park, 4th of July parade on wheels, snowday, monthly parents night out at the community center, etc). Our neighbors are very friendly and there are a lot of children that are around our kid's age. There are at least a few block parties on our street. However, I'm told that not every street is like this so any feedback you may get for a given community is mostly for their immediate vicinity on not representative of the neighborhood as a whole.

Just my 2 cents but our Woodbridge friends live in a neighborhood filled with mostly empty nesters or families with teenagers, not many kids young enough to play with their 4 and 2 year old.

I personally like Beacon Park, wished we bought here, especially the the SFR side towards Juniper/Silvermist/Legend. Walkable to a K-8 school. Community has a nice layout, you see plenty of kids playing at the Parasol and Beacon Park playgrounds and the Beacon park elementary playground. Water park is almost done. The Bosque is adjacent, looks like a nicer version of JOST for walks and bike rides. Woodbury Town center isn't too far, they're supposed to build Base Camp and there's another small retail coming to the Cadence Park side.

Downside are the high Mello roos,  no view, further from 5/405 unless you take the Toll road.

misme said:
melodypowell said:

HMart said:

Top of the World is NOT convenient to drive around.
Scary as heck going in and out of there...I also would not want my kids playing on the street there...too dangerous

Yeah, driving in/out is challenging (doesn't scare me) and commuting is terrible. Mudslide risk is serious too. But amazing views and everyday access to a scenic jog would be amazing. For once a day Chinese school, driving to Irvine on the weekends is just fine.

If you want to be more central, I'd pick Woodbridge too. Bayporte is a nice single-street (almost like a giant cul-de-sac) and this house that just sold is really amazinghttps://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Bayporte-92614/home/4697306with views and lot. The path is right next to your property so maybe not as much privacy as one would expect, but yeah. If you must have a detached SFH with views on the lake, good luck...

Back