Author Topic: Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget  (Read 8915 times)

Offline shahshah

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 45
  • -Received: 4
Re: Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
I went through IUSD myself, and tutored in many neighborhoods when I was in collage, I think I am more familiar with a lot of the areas than most people (not the brand new ones obviously). I think this is a part of my difficulties, I have strong feeling about certain areas that might not be true anymore. I rarely played outside with friends, but we did play in each other's houses almost daily. By the time I was in high school, I lived in University park, and I hang out with friends all the time, we used to have small final fantasy piano playing contests (before social media of course). I am looking for an environment where kids hang out in general, not necessarily in parks and front yards.

Since kid friendly neighborhood is high on your list, I would recommend you drive around the neighborhood you are considering in the evening time. That will give you an idea of if the kids come out to play. Overall in Irvine, due to the kids involvement in extra-curricular activities you don't see many kids out and about.

The thing is though you are looking two years from now I believe, this is going to be a bit difficult to gauge in specifics. You could look at WB homes that are near a park as a start point. I believe there were a couple that just went off the market near timber run park. They were old but you could have certainly make them lovely with your budget or something similar down the road. There just is never anything that pops up that is any good. Everything goes in a month.

Offline brianlin87

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »
This is what I look for, may I ask what street is this? I am willing to wait for the right house. My kids are still 2 years away from Kinder.

Our two children are similar age (3/2) and we currently just bought at the OH Reserve.  Having grown up in Irvine myself and also attended IUSD (K-12), this side of Irvine still seems to be more desireable than the 405 side.  Touring all the new developments puts into perspective just how long they will take to be at full build out and with the higher MR, it just didn't make sense to us. 

As for places for the kids to play, there are enough tot lots/parks/club houses for our kids, and eventually good school (Santiago/Sierra/NWHS). 

Offline fcb2011

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 1
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
This is what I look for, may I ask what street is this? I am willing to wait for the right house. My kids are still 2 years away from Kinder.

Our two children are similar age (3/2) and we currently just bought at the OH Reserve.  Having grown up in Irvine myself and also attended IUSD (K-12), this side of Irvine still seems to be more desireable than the 405 side.  Touring all the new developments puts into perspective just how long they will take to be at full build out and with the higher MR, it just didn't make sense to us. 

As for places for the kids to play, there are enough tot lots/parks/club houses for our kids, and eventually good school (Santiago/Sierra/NWHS).

Which model did you buy in OH if you dont mind? I am still debating if we should buy there. como with view price is so crazy. terra without a view is not so attractive compared to larger house in Eastwood since they have the same school district.

Offline fortune11

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 173
  • -Received: 206
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 08:27:15 PM »
just catching up on this thread.

your budget is actually decent enough to look at parts of Northwood pointe -- guard gated, walkable to canyon view elementary and plenty of nice parks and shopping conveniences nearby. 

at that price point you may be able to get a nicely landscaped decent size backyard as well , something that will be difficult to swing in the new construction neighborhoods.

the homes are late 90s vintage so not that old that they will need a whole lot of remodeling / fixing etc.

Offline cmj006

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 11:18:43 PM »
We just bought an unit at Saviero, one of the last few, this neighbourhood seems to fit into your description: walkable to Orchard Hills school( soon to be K-8), walkable to clubhouse, decent lot size (6K +), 5 bedrooms including a junior master on he 1st floor ( for the plan we bought eg midel 4), Budget wise 1.5-2m)

Offline brianlin87

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2
  • -Received: 3
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »

Which model did you buy in OH if you dont mind? I am still debating if we should buy there. como with view price is so crazy. terra without a view is not so attractive compared to larger house in Eastwood since they have the same school district.

As attractive as larger space is in Eastwood, I foresee potential home price appreciation in the Reserve (imo) will far exceed the current 'value ratio' available in Eastwood.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:48:50 PM by brianlin87 »

Offline the.irvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 12
  • -Received: 24
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 09:58:14 PM »
How about Altair?

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 6
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
How about Altair?

Just went to Altier, like the floor plans, but we don't like the greatpark neighborhoods in general. It just seems like the 5fwy is gonna get more and more crowded, and even though I am Chinese myself, why too high of Asian population at schools. We are not into that.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2046
  • -Received: 3502
  • 3CWG
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
How about Altair?

Just went to Altier, like the floor plans, but we don't like the greatpark neighborhoods in general. It just seems like the 5fwy is gonna get more and more crowded, and even though I am Chinese myself, why too high of Asian population at schools. We are not into that.

You're going to have to go to an older Irvine hood... but nowadays even those Elems are getting more "Asiantrified".

Saw your post about the Turtles vs Top of the World. I think Turtle Rock has a higher Asian population than Turtle Ridge but not sure about the school demographics.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
Hi, thanks!! I feel North Irvine area has a much greater Chinese population, e.g. Beacon park elementary has 70%+ Asian, and it feels most are Chinese. Turtle Rock has about 55% Asian, but it's a much more balanced mix. (I see lots of different East Asians as well as Indians) Since I am Chinese, I don't want myself to mingle with too many super competitive Chinese moms.

How about Altair?

You're going to have to go to an older Irvine hood... but nowadays even those Elems are getting more "Asiantrified".

Saw your post about the Turtles vs Top of the World. I think Turtle Rock has a higher Asian population than Turtle Ridge but not sure about the school demographics.

Offline misme

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 17
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
Hi, thanks!! I feel North Irvine area has a much greater Chinese population, e.g. Beacon park elementary has 70%+ Asian, and it feels most are Chinese. Turtle Rock has about 55% Asian, but it's a much more balanced mix. (I see lots of different East Asians as well as Indians) Since I am Chinese, I don't want myself to mingle with too many super competitive Chinese moms.

How about Altair?

What about TUSD side of Orchard Hills Groves? Or even North Tustin? Its where a lot of ABCs and other Americanized Asians have fled to get away from the new Asian immigrants who only want IUSD and obsess over a few points difference between Northwood and Uni High. There's lots of Asians in the Tustin Ranch and Northpark/OH schools, but a lot more are Americanized/2nd gen and overall more relaxed in academic outlook.  Honestly though, if you want to avoid a supercompetitive public school atmosphere, I would just do private, since it sounds like you can afford it.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:27:16 PM by misme »

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 283
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 06:56:15 PM »

You sound like a closet Tiger Mom yourself.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2038
  • -Received: 1612
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
I was also going to suggest areas such as The Groves (Orchard Hills) and Tustin Ranch (like Emerson).
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 08:33:56 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what type of mom I will be. But you are probably right :) Ever since I was pregnant with twins, my world has been just spinning... lol

You sound like a closet Tiger Mom yourself.

Offline Paris

• Thanks
  • -Given: 174
  • -Received: 151
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 10:44:49 PM »
We used to live in Northpark when my kids were toddlers and it was a great neighborhood. We loved it there. A lot of young kids, the HOA organizes a lot of family friendly events throughout the year and the homes (although somewhat outdated without the fully open floor plans) were beautiful and mostly functional. And the TUSD schools zoned to this neighborhood (as well as to Groves OH) is similar to IUSD but I don't think as crazy competitive. My kids go to Hicks Canyon Elementary and I think there is good diversity at this school.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Report on housing by Steven Thomas by curious george
[Today at 02:38:22 PM]

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Today at 02:18:52 PM]

Re: The Investigation by Soylent Green Is People
[Today at 01:38:21 PM]