Author Topic: Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget  (Read 8911 times)

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 10
  • -Received: 62
Re: Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
Hi All, thanks for the input. I have not been looking too much into the newer development, sounds like I definitely should. I have been mostly focusing on a few neighborhoods in Turtle Rock and Woodbridge. High school isn't a huge consideration, I own another house in University Park zoned for Uni, it's pretty old and small one story, but very good lot size, we might rebuild in 10 years, or makes other changes later on. We have toddlers now and maybe more on the way, mostly focusing on elementary years.

I did look at some of the Altair 3D walkthrough tours online earlier, I love Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, it would perfect for us. But I don't want to live in the boonies (at least it feels that way), pay 10k+ additional a year on mello roos and not be able to walk to elementary school.

Your mileage in Woodbridge will vary. Even within a community it is hard to predict what your immediate neighbors are going to be like. Although older, the houses are well built and suited for upgrades as needed (especially on the larger lots). We have a community pool on the same block, walk to Elementary School with our neighbors every morning (started in K), an association that organizes lots of family friendly events (concerts in the park, 4th of July parade on wheels, snowday, monthly parents night out at the community center, etc). Our neighbors are very friendly and there are a lot of children that are around our kid's age. There are at least a few block parties on our street. However, I'm told that not every street is like this so any feedback you may get for a given community is mostly for their immediate vicinity on not representative of the neighborhood as a whole.

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 6
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
This is what I look for, may I ask what street is this? I am willing to wait for the right house. My kids are still 2 years away from Kinder.

Hi All, thanks for the input. I have not been looking too much into the newer development, sounds like I definitely should. I have been mostly focusing on a few neighborhoods in Turtle Rock and Woodbridge. High school isn't a huge consideration, I own another house in University Park zoned for Uni, it's pretty old and small one story, but very good lot size, we might rebuild in 10 years, or makes other changes later on. We have toddlers now and maybe more on the way, mostly focusing on elementary years.

I did look at some of the Altair 3D walkthrough tours online earlier, I love Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, it would perfect for us. But I don't want to live in the boonies (at least it feels that way), pay 10k+ additional a year on mello roos and not be able to walk to elementary school.

Your mileage in Woodbridge will vary. Even within a community it is hard to predict what your immediate neighbors are going to be like. Although older, the houses are well built and suited for upgrades as needed (especially on the larger lots). We have a community pool on the same block, walk to Elementary School with our neighbors every morning (started in K), an association that organizes lots of family friendly events (concerts in the park, 4th of July parade on wheels, snowday, monthly parents night out at the community center, etc). Our neighbors are very friendly and there are a lot of children that are around our kid's age. There are at least a few block parties on our street. However, I'm told that not every street is like this so any feedback you may get for a given community is mostly for their immediate vicinity on not representative of the neighborhood as a whole.

Offline Maserson

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 31
  • -Received: 20
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:49 PM »
Just my 2 cents but our Woodbridge friends live in a neighborhood filled with mostly empty nesters or families with teenagers, not many kids young enough to play with their 4 and 2 year old.

I personally like Beacon Park, wished we bought here, especially the the SFR side towards Juniper/Silvermist/Legend. Walkable to a K-8 school. Community has a nice layout, you see plenty of kids playing at the Parasol and Beacon Park playgrounds and the Beacon park elementary playground. Water park is almost done. The Bosque is adjacent, looks like a nicer version of JOST for walks and bike rides. Woodbury Town center isn't too far, they're supposed to build Base Camp and there's another small retail coming to the Cadence Park side.

Downside are the high Mello roos,  no view, further from 5/405 unless you take the Toll road.

Offline HMart

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 149
  • -Received: 41
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Thank you! I've never even heard of them, I will definitely look into it. I might or might not be commuting to work in the future, I would like a location that's convenient to drive around at least. I plan to drive the kids to Irvine at least for Chinese school, but probably way more activities.

If I had your budget, I'd look near Top of the World elementary in Laguna Beach. Commute sucks, but since you two can work from home, it doesn't matter.

Top of the World is NOT convenient to drive around.
Scary as heck going in and out of there...I also would not want my kids playing on the street there...too dangerous

Yeah, driving in/out is challenging (doesn't scare me) and commuting is terrible. Mudslide risk is serious too. But amazing views and everyday access to a scenic jog would be amazing. For once a day Chinese school, driving to Irvine on the weekends is just fine.

If you want to be more central, I'd pick Woodbridge too. Bayporte is a nice single-street (almost like a giant cul-de-sac) and this house that just sold is really amazing https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/20-Bayporte-92614/home/4697306 with views and lot. The path is right next to your property so maybe not as much privacy as one would expect, but yeah. If you must have a detached SFH with views on the lake, good luck...

Offline aquabliss

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 163
  • -Received: 660
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »
This place looked pretty awesome:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/53-Emerald-92614/home/4697590

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 488
  • -Received: 316
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »
I have two kids and if I could live in Woodbridge I would!

Woodbridge is definitely a different lifestyle and era...larger lots, walkable, close to other facilities.  Only issues are that the houses are much older and Woodbridge high is not so great.

This is an interesting comment to me.  I've also seen others put down Woodbridge for being "old".  I wonder if the home developments of today will be similarly looked down upon 30 years from now.
eyephone:  Your the snowflake lil bitch. Making up fake stories.

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
I have two kids and if I could live in Woodbridge I would!

Woodbridge is definitely a different lifestyle and era...larger lots, walkable, close to other facilities.  Only issues are that the houses are much older and Woodbridge high is not so great.

This is an interesting comment to me.  I've also seen others put down Woodbridge for being "old".  I wonder if the home developments of today will be similarly looked down upon 30 years from now.

Coming from the SouthBay Woodbridge looked new to me :P

Offline RangeRover

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 39
  • -Received: 19
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 11:31:47 AM »
This is what I look for, may I ask what street is this? I am willing to wait for the right house. My kids are still 2 years away from Kinder.

My friends will be moving to Meridian in Altair, although they are going to be paying the extra/high MR, they want to be in that area (you can't go wrong with the schools in Irvine, generally) because they want to be close to Irvine Spectrum, Great Park, and new high school. It makes sense to be in this spot if you want to be close to those areas. If you like more info about the area, let me know.
#bigonwine

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 572
  • -Received: 474
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »

My friends will be moving to Meridian in Altair, although they are going to be paying the extra/high MR, they want to be in that area (you can't go wrong with the schools in Irvine, generally) because they want to be close to Irvine Spectrum, Great Park, and new high school. It makes sense to be in this spot if you want to be close to those areas. If you like more info about the area, let me know.

I am curious on how traffic will be like in that area.  So many lights on Irvine Blvd now and with the schools, I think it will be insane during rush hour.

Offline bitmaster20

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 41
  • -Received: 26
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 11:49:31 AM »
Since kid friendly neighborhood is high on your list, I would recommend you drive around the neighborhood you are considering in the evening time. That will give you an idea of if the kids come out to play. Overall in Irvine, due to the kids involvement in extra-curricular activities you don't see many kids out and about.

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »
Since kid friendly neighborhood is high on your list, I would recommend you drive around the neighborhood you are considering in the evening time. That will give you an idea of if the kids come out to play. Overall in Irvine, due to the kids involvement in extra-curricular activities you don't see many kids out and about.

This may not always be an accurate snapshot of the neighborhood. For example, a lot of people go to Treehouse Park in Beacon Park because it's new and has a cool treehouse - but they do not live in the area. Not sure if it has changed by now, but the restrooms didn't required a fob to get into. It's a gamble on what you end up getting in your particular neighborhood and also a task for you to make the best out of it. Best to befriend people, hang out at parks, connect with people in Irvine Moms on Facebook that live in areas of interest, etc. This time of year, a good indication of neighbor involvement is to look at how decorated the street is for the Holidays.

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:57:51 PM by melodypowell »

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »
That's so true, I need to drive around and look at neighborhood's xmas lights. Unfortunately, due to having 2 toddlers, going back to Irvine has not been a frequent occurrence, we should make another trip soon.   

This may not always be an accurate snapshot of the neighborhood. For example, a lot of people go to Treehouse Park in Beacon Park because it's new and has a cool treehouse - but they do not live in the area. Not sure if it has changed by now, but the restrooms didn't required a fob to get into. It's a gamble on what you end up getting in your particular neighborhood and also a task for you to make the best out of it. Best to befriend people, hang out at parks, connect with people in Irvine Moms on Facebook that live in areas of interest, etc. This time of year, a good indication of neighbor involvement is to look at how decorated the street is for the Holidays.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2046
  • -Received: 3502
  • 3CWG
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
... and Woodbridge high is not so great.

Depends on what you're looking for in a high school. As a sports/drama/music school, Woodbridge is actually one of the better ones in Irvine. As a high-pressure/got to get into an Ivy school, that's either Uni or Northwood.

I agree with other commenters about Woodbridge and although there are some hoods that don't have a lot of younger kids, they are more scattered all over while in the newer communities, those are the majority buyers so there will be a higher concentration. The good things about Woodbridge are location (very central to everything), facilities (tons of pools for < $100 HOA), no MRs, and most hoods are walkable to all 3 levels of school (elem, middle, high).

If you're looking at newer, want some elevation, but want to stay close to the 405, Quail Hill, older... Turtle Rock. I don't recommend Laguna Altura but that's just me.

Westpark II is also a great central neighborhood as is Oak Creek if you want to live closer to the Spectrum.

If you want older north Irvine, Northpark as someone mentioned but also the more northern parts of Northwood (Windstream etc). For newer, Woodbury and Stonegate. But just remember anything newer than 2008 or so will be much more dense.

If you want to go north of the wall and live with the wildlings, Portola Springs.... but if you're going to be in that area, Great Park is probably better, both Pavilion and Beacon... not too sure about Parasol as it's too much like Lego City.

Like Laguna Altura, I'm not really a fan of Cypress Village.

But really, instead of relying on us anonymous posters, just drive around and see what you like. ~$1.5m can you get a nice property in almost any hood in Irvine, so it's about what type of house and area you like.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 163
  • -Received: 660
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
I went through IUSD myself, and tutored in many neighborhoods when I was in collage

You tutored in collage?  That is for kids in art class that want to create a photo collage right?

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Today at 02:18:52 PM]

Re: The Investigation by Soylent Green Is People
[Today at 01:38:21 PM]

Re: KB Home Genoa at OH by thecolt
[Today at 09:54:59 AM]