Author Topic: Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget  (Read 8912 times)

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 6
Hello, this is my first post, but have been reading it as a guest for some time. My husband and I are looking to buy a new home, but I am having a hard time deciding on the neighborhood. We are in our early 30s, we both grew up in OC (we met at UCI), I am Chinese and he is white, we have twin toddlers and are thinking of having more children. My husband runs a small company in Vegas currently, but will work from home when we move back to Irvine. I have worked in tax/finance my entire career and would love to continue to work. (I miss Broadcom's cafeteria lol) We own two small rentals in Irvine/CM, but they are too small to move back into now.

Here are what we are looking for:

1. Kids friendly neighborhood but not too crowded either. Both my husband and I played with neighboring kids when we were growing up, it's very important to us that our kids would have a similar environment. Yet, some of the new developments seem too crowded.

2. A development or neighborhood that's within walking distance to a good elementary school. (less than a mile). I would really like specific suggestions, such as street names or neighborhood names. (i.e. Concordia East in Turtle Rock)

3. Our budget is pretty open, the houses I like are mostly in the 1.5-2 range, we can spend more if needed. We are not looking for a show-off house. Fixer uppers or older houses are totally ok. I want whatever is convenient for my kids. Libraries, after school activities are way more important to me than how prestige a neighborhood is. I've recently toured some houses in The Summit of Turtle Ridge, I was disappointed to see no kids playing in their amazing parks on the weekends.

4. At least 5 rooms (doesn't have to be bedrooms, as long as it has a door) with 3 or more bathrooms. I really like Altair Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, but I am not sure about the location, and hate to pay 10K+ a year on mello roos. We do plan to go tour that on our next trip to Irvine. 

5. Prefer guard gated, but not a requirement. A lot of guard gated communities seem to be in not so convenient locations, which is one of my difficulties.

6. Prefer somewhat a bigger yard with grass and/or somewhat a view (hubby's preference). No pool, but prefer to be close to the HOA pool.

If you were us, where would you buy and why? Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:26:24 PM by melodypowell »

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2038
  • -Received: 1612
Re: Which neighborhood is the best to raise a family with 1.5+ budget
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
You should look at Terra or The Groves at Orchard Hills then maybe the 3 largest SFR homes in Eastwood (Avila, Morro, and Beverly).  Feel free to ping me if you don't have a realtor and want a commission rebate.  ;)
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline HMart

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 149
  • -Received: 41
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
If I had your budget, I'd look near Top of the World elementary in Laguna Beach. Commute sucks, but since you two can work from home, it doesn't matter.

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:55 PM »
Thank you! I've never even heard of them, I will definitely look into it. I might or might not be commuting to work in the future, I would like a location that's convenient to drive around at least. I plan to drive the kids to Irvine at least for Chinese school, but probably way more activities.

If I had your budget, I'd look near Top of the World elementary in Laguna Beach. Commute sucks, but since you two can work from home, it doesn't matter.

Offline misme

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 17
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
you can also consider some of the bigger single family homes in Northpark which are walking distance to Hicks Canyon

Groves at Orchard Hills. There are quite decent lot sizes to be had, depending on the house--there is variability in the lot size even within a tract. Trevi or La Vita for a view. There is an internal greenbelt to walk to Orchard Hills school. 

Turtle Rock. The neighborhoods around Bonita Canyon or Turtle Rock elementary. Only doesn't fit your guard gated requirement.

Port Streets or Eastbluff neighborhood in Newport are also very family friendly. But it sounds like the center of your kids' activities may be in Irvine, so would be less convenient.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:05:22 PM by misme »

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline misme

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 17
  • -Received: 22
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:53:26 PM »
Thank you! I've never even heard of them, I will definitely look into it. I might or might not be commuting to work in the future, I would like a location that's convenient to drive around at least. I plan to drive the kids to Irvine at least for Chinese school, but probably way more activities.

Top of the World is NOT convenient to drive around.
Scary as heck going in and out of there...I also would not want my kids playing on the street there...too dangerous

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 572
  • -Received: 474
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
Half of your description fits Orchard Hill and Laguna Altura but the other half fits Stonegate and Eastwood.

I think you just have to go to each neighborhood to get the feel and how you like them.

Offline shahshah

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 45
  • -Received: 4
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 05:18:57 PM »
I have two kids and if I could live in Woodbridge I would!

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 572
  • -Received: 474
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »

Woodbridge is definitely a different lifestyle and era...larger lots, walkable, close to other facilities.  Only issues are that the houses are much older and Woodbridge high is not so great.

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Received: 162
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Plan 3 of the Los Olivos future residences may be good, 4 bd + loft, gated, near elementary school, mostly small lots except for a lucky few end lots

Offline shahshah

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »

Woodbridge is definitely a different lifestyle and era...larger lots, walkable, close to other facilities.  Only issues are that the houses are much older and Woodbridge high is not so great.

Yes, exactly different era and lifestyle. Like the 70s and 80s when people could have all of those things. Houses can be renovated on the inside. Also she was asking about elementary school. Woodbridge High is fine and if it is a little lower so what, less competition for her kids. Though I bet with all the renovation in the community center it will get even nicer and the high school will get stronger with time.

Offline Jcl725

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 07:32:47 PM »
Plan 3 of the Los Olivos future residences may be good, 4 bd + loft, gated, near elementary school, mostly small lots except for a lucky few end lots

Los Olivos?  Isn’t that an apartment complex?

Offline melodypowell

• Tourist
  • Thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
Hi All, thanks for the input. I have not been looking too much into the newer development, sounds like I definitely should. I have been mostly focusing on a few neighborhoods in Turtle Rock and Woodbridge. High school isn't a huge consideration, I own another house in University Park zoned for Uni, it's pretty old and small one story, but very good lot size, we might rebuild in 10 years, or makes other changes later on. We have toddlers now and maybe more on the way, mostly focusing on elementary years.

I did look at some of the Altair 3D walkthrough tours online earlier, I love Celestial Residence 3's floor plan, it would perfect for us. But I don't want to live in the boonies (at least it feels that way), pay 10k+ additional a year on mello roos and not be able to walk to elementary school.

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Received: 162
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »

Next to it, assigned to Uni, future residence there is a detached motorcourt condo, Lago clone by IP. Per TLONL.
Only one home with a full driveway.

Offline Jcl725

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »

Next to it, assigned to Uni, future residence there is a detached motorcourt condo, Lago clone by IP. Per TLONL.
Only one home with a full driveway.

Thanks.  Didn’t know about that.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Today at 02:18:52 PM]

Re: The Investigation by Soylent Green Is People
[Today at 01:38:21 PM]