Adding dedicated circuit in garage?

Roger

Has anyone done it(either 110/220v, try to do this for a PHEV)?  And any good recommendation who to hire(so far I only contacted ACE)?  My breaker panel is literally right next to the wall in the garage where the future outlet is going to be so I assume the wiring would be simple, but I could be wrong.  Their quote seems resonable but it's based on my description on where my breaker panel is to the location where I want the outlet...  any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I used Johnny Electric to install a dedicated NEMA outlet in my garage for my ClipperCreek EV charger. Cost is under $200 + materials (I need a new breaker and the outlet -- I had him buy one for me as his rate is reasonable after comparing with amazon).

irvinehomeowner said:
What was ACE's quote?

I've heard of Johnny Electric ("We fix it in a flash!").
300~400 based on my description... this is the case that it will require minimal wiring given my situation.

GH said:
irvinehomeowner said:
What was ACE's quote?

that's Powell Electric  :p

Hah. The jingle doesn't work well if I mis-remember the company name.

@Roger: Give *Powell* Electric a call. :)

Anyone get a quote on installing a Tesla PowerWall?

irvinehomeowner said:
GH said:
irvinehomeowner said:
What was ACE's quote?

that's Powell Electric  :p

Hah. The jingle doesn't work well if I mis-remember the company name.

@Roger: Give *Powell* Electric a call. :)

Anyone get a quote on installing a Tesla PowerWall?
Hey irvinehomeowner - I checked reviews for ACE/Johnny/Powell on yelp both ACE/Johnny have good reviews, near 5stars since 2012 but Powell has 1.5 stars.  Any thought or you have specific contractor there to look for?

I was kidding about Powell... I just like their jingle.

To be honest, any electrical work I had done was by a handyman guy and it was either moving an outlet or changing out a switch.

For installing a dedicated 240v, I would go with Johnny since they seem cheaper than ACE. I had a neighbor long ago who was a licensed electrician but I moved out of that area and did not keep in touch.

irvinehomeowner said:
I was kidding about Powell... I just like their jingle.

To be honest, any electrical work I had done was by a handyman guy and it was either moving an outlet or changing out a switch.

For installing a dedicated 240v, I would go with Johnny since they seem cheaper than ACE. I had a neighbor long ago who was a licensed electrician but I moved out of that area and did not keep in touch.
lol... I will give Johnny a call for estimate.

Also, if you haven't joined your local NextDoor (and don't mind people knowing your real name and where you live), there are some recs there.

Inc's Contractor list stickied at the top of this forum might be outdated:

Electrician:                        Ace Electrichttp://aceoc.com/(949)551-6749

Advanced Electrical & Lighting Inc ask Hugo Rodriguez (714)285-1700
                                        1030 North Logan Street Santa Ana, CA 92701 

Let There Be Light Electrician - Dennis (714)892-0670
                                        2000 Main St. Huntington Beach, CA 92605

It should be no more than $200-$300, especially since it's in a garage and you'll let them make big drywall cuts for access.

I'm pricing this type of stuff right now. Doing a complete rewiring of a small house in LA - 3 bed/2 bath 1,340 sq ft. ~$8,500 to rewire to code + $2,700 for new 200 amp panel.

I just checked NextDoor and Johnny Electric has the most recs by 3x over all the others... and is in Irvine.

Now I have to go delete my profile before IrvineDream finds me on NextDoor OH3.

Perspective said:
It should be no more than $200-$300, especially since it's in a garage and you'll let them make big drywall cuts for access.

I'm pricing this type of stuff right now. Doing a complete rewiring of a small house in LA - 3 bed/2 bath 1,340 sq ft. ~$8,500 to rewire to code + $2,700 for new 200 amp panel.
Thanks man.  My understanding for my case is that the only hole they'll be cutting is for the reciprocal receptacle and the internal wiring should really be minimal since the panel is right next to where the planned reciprocal is.  That said why I want to find a reputable and experienced electrician is that I don't want unnecessary holes or cutting as much as possible during the installation.

I think you mean "receptacle".  Are you getting a permit, and is your house is pretty new and already up to current codes?  Food for thought.  If you have the space on the current panel this is a slam dunk.  I wired my own, but I already have the tools.

daedalus said:
I think you mean "receptacle".  Are you getting a permit, and is your house is pretty new and already up to current codes?  Food for thought.  If you have the space on the current panel this is a slam dunk.  I wired my own, but I already have the tools.

I always feel less manly when daedalus posts.

"Why buy a house? I built my own!"

:)

daedalus said:
Thanks for the suggestion.  The house was built in 2007 so should be up to today's code requirement.  Not sure about the available space it looks all occupied.

Back