19,140 signatures to overturn Irvine?s decision on veterans cemetery location

The petitioners mostly told people that it was to save the cemetery.  That's how they got all those signatures.

It's really TIC vs 5 points at this point.

jmoney74 said:
The petitioners mostly told people that it was to save the cemetery.  That's how they got all those signatures.

I must say the slogan behind the campaign is a stroke of genius. Most people just can?t be bothered with the details other than the headline. It sad that often truth or logic does not win the day.

Burn That Belly said:
Isn't that the whole point of the Great Park? To bring people together with sports parks, base camp food halls, trails, parks, skating rinks, and finally top it off with a memorial site to pay your respects to our finest. Get everything done in one location.

What?s the point of this post? Both sites were part of the El Toro marine base. Its ridiculous to shove a site that requires millions of dollars to cleanup and veteran don?t want and call it saving the cemetery. It?s false advertising at its worst.

Burn That Belly said:
eatthis said:
Burn That Belly said:
Isn't that the whole point of the Great Park? To bring people together with sports parks, base camp food halls, trails, parks, skating rinks, and finally top it off with a memorial site to pay your respects to our finest. Get everything done in one location.

What?s the point of this post? Both sites were part of the El Toro marine base. Its ridiculous to shove a site that requires millions of dollars to cleanup and veteran don?t want and call it saving the cemetery. It?s false advertising at its worst.

Listen. The counter-protesting petition called the original site a "blighted land" and the one at the freeway "strawberry" fields.  Do you not think that statement is also misleading AF ??? 

How dare they call that site blighted land. What about Portola High and other homes built on GP. Are those not "blighted" land?

Indeed however that school land was already cleaned up. With new site you'll need to remove runways and test further.

Considering funding was an issue and the land adjacent to the freeway did not require remediation; I just cannot see justification for spending the extra $40 million from the city of Irvine coffers.  Both sites were originally part of the base and once the cemetery is built I doubt that future generations are going to question why the cemetery was built right off the freeway.  The point was to built a veterans cemetery to honor our fallen heros.  Isn't that part of the current plan?

As an aside, if you've traveled that stretch of Irvine Blvd. lately you'll notice the increased traffic especially during commuting hours.  The last thing anyone wants is to have funeral processions further aggrevating traffic.  Disclaimer: I don't live close enough for the cemetery to affect my property values so that is not the basis for my position.

I wonder what?s worse the veteran cemetery or mimi in favor of the tax cut which will effect Californians. (maybe both?)

How much time and money is going to be wasted regarding the cemetery?

jmoney74 said:

I can see why 5P doesn't want the cemetery at the existing location, but why would TIC want it with PS so close?

Happiness said:
jmoney74 said:

I can see why 5P doesn't want the cemetery at the existing location, but why would TIC want it with PS so close?

Collateral damage. Lol

Also keep Portola pricing low. It's a good strategy.

Happiness said:
jmoney74 said:

TIC makes plenty of money elsewhere. But, this would be a huge blow to the upcoming phases of GP.

The beauty of this BS petition is that it doesn?t even need to win a referendum. Just the threat of a cemetery at the original location will impede GP sales long enough for TIC to benefit.

It's ok guys...after this vote, there will be another petition to put it back to the strawberry fields...and it will go on and on forever..
This cemetery will never be built and will provide years and years of comedy for our benefit!

zubs said:
It's ok guys...after this vote, there will be another petition to put it back to the strawberry fields...and it will go on and on forever..
This cemetery will never be built and will provide years and years of comedy for our benefit!

Lol

irvine buyer said:
As an aside, if you've traveled that stretch of Irvine Blvd. lately you'll notice the increased traffic especially during commuting hours.  The last thing anyone wants is to have funeral processions further aggrevating traffic.  Disclaimer: I don't live close enough for the cemetery to affect my property values so that is not the basis for my position.

If it operates like the one in Riverside, that won't be an issue.  All of the services are held in pavilions within the cemetery.  You would get traffic from people entering / visiting the cemetery, but there wouldn't be any funeral processions to deal with.

Back