After school options for high school

Question for parents with High school kids: what are the options for after school care for high school kids? do most kids at that age dont need one, or can they stay on campus until they can be picked up? ideally is they can walk home but not everyone has that option. I heard there is no school bus running in Irvine district but i am not sure of this. if anyone can share their experience would be helpful, just looking ahead of myself right now since my kids are still in elementary.

This reminds me of a poll I wanted to post.

I don't know of any after school programs for high school kids in Irvine, maybe Boys and Girls Club?

Many have after-school practices for what eyephone mentioned above or just go home and do homework (if they go to Uni :) ).

There are school buses in Irvine.

But I think they only serve some middle schools and elems (for people that live in the hills).

High schoolers can take the public bus.

For admission to a decent college, the pre-requisite load of essentially mandatory AP/IB courses, SAT training and extracurricular activities (i.e. membership if not leadership or founding) of one of the 90 odd  after school clubs (ranging from CosPlay or Chess, to American Heart Association to ____ student union/association/league) and community volunteer activism, aren't you kind of asking the wrong question?  It's why you buy in Irvine.

eyephone said:
Is your son active at school? (Sports, clubs, choir, marching band, asb)

She is active in swimming now, hopefully can continue till High school. Assumming they can get into a sports team, that would be ideal they can practice everyday after school. Otherwise they still need to be dropped off or picked up if they can't walk home. at least the elementary and middle schools have on site day care that facilitates working parents. What are the options for working parents in high school??

The reason i ask, i am debating if i should move to orchard hills so they have the option to walk home :)

nosuchreality said:
For admission to a decent college, the pre-requisite load of essentially mandatory AP/IB courses, SAT training and extracurricular activities (i.e. membership if not leadership or founding) of one of the 90 odd  after school clubs (ranging from CosPlay or Chess, to American Heart Association to ____ student union/association/league) and community volunteer activism, aren't you kind of asking the wrong question?  It's why you buy in Irvine.
yah, assuming you dont work and have time to drive your kids around to do those activities. If they can be offered on campus, thats great and what i am planning to do. i guess most people in irvine dont need two parents working.

readytobuy said:
nosuchreality said:
yah, assuming you dont work and have time to drive your kids around to do those activities. If they can be offered on campus, thats great and what i am planning to do. i guess most people in irvine dont need two parents working.

Then you need to hire a nanny, au pair or child shuttle.  By Freshman, JIMHO, they can sit home by themselves, hell, maybe even younger.  The challenge is getting them home if too far. And the intent of my post was the real challenge is getting your kid between 6-10 grades (if not earlier), to the tutor, kumon, volunteer, club activity that they need to do.  There's plenty of posts on the board talking about the academic arms race in Irvine and there's been discussion but places like Uni high where if your kid is taking AP, they simply won't cut it because the instructors literally skip stuff assuming the tutor/kumon/academic boot camp will pick it up.

If you're not intending to run that arms race, why pay the school premium of Irvine to put your kids in the average classes where they'll still be at a disadvantage to the others that are?

nosuchreality said:
readytobuy said:
nosuchreality said:

Then you need to hire a nanny, au pair or child shuttle.  By Freshman, JIMHO, they can sit home by themselves, hell, maybe even younger.  The challenge is getting them home if too far. And the intent of my post was the real challenge is getting your kid between 6-10 grades (if not earlier), to the tutor, kumon, volunteer, club activity that they need to do.  There's plenty of posts on the board talking about the academic arms race in Irvine and there's been discussion but places like Uni high where if your kid is taking AP, they simply won't cut it because the instructors literally skip stuff assuming the tutor/kumon/academic boot camp will pick it up.

If you're not intending to run that arms race, why pay the school premium of Irvine to put your kids in the average classes where they'll still be at a disadvantage to the others that are?

i do intend to shuttle them to classes and after school activities just looking at what are all the options!
looks like best thing is to hire a nanny to take them around. i did hear from many parents that near jeffrey trail middle there are lot of afterschool programs across the street which they can easily walk to, but in terms of high school there are less choices that are walkable.

readytobuy said:
nosuchreality said:
readytobuy said:
nosuchreality said:

i do intend to shuttle them to classes and after school activities just looking at what are all the options!
looks like best thing is to hire a nanny to take them around. i did hear from many parents that near jeffrey trail middle there are lot of afterschool programs across the street which they can easily walk to, but in terms of high school there are less choices that are walkable.

It sounds like finding a nanny who can drive is really expensive--my cousin is paying one $20/hr, 40 hours a week. Two kids, double income household. Has your experience been different?

Back