Yang?s, a one-item chicken sensation from China, to open in Tustin

momopi said:
That address doesn't seem right...

It must be in the same plaza as Seoul Garden. Interesting to see a bunch of Asian stuff sprout up there. O'Shine Taiwanese, some Szechuan stuff, and now this.

I went to Seoul Garden once.  I asked the owner to change out my grill and she said it wasn't dirty enough.

Ok then.

zubs said:
I went to Seoul Garden once.  I asked the owner to change out my grill and she said it wasn't dirty enough.

Ok then.

The place doesn't look like it has changed since 1992. I remember going there in middle school--what a treat.

I went there a few times 20 years ago and loved it back then.  Now that I'm used to better options, I have a feeling I'd be disappointed. 

I do want to check it out at some point, though.

Their grill is perpetually on low, if you like to sit and watch paint dry/slow cook Kalbi, this is the place for you.  Meat don't sizzle here, just kinda poof. 

Disclaimer:  haven't been back for years and probably won't

aquabliss said:
Picture looks gross, has anyone tried it?

In the hood today so stopped in to try it.

Place was full, however crowd was pretty much of one country origin granted that country has 1/7th of the world's population.

Having tried it, it's not a repeat.  Three dishes, regular, authentic, Spicy.  The regular is basically, chicken, skin & fat in a brown sugar-ginger sauce with mushrooms and thick slices of ginger.  Authentic is that plus a few slices of green spicy pepper. Spicy is authentic plus a few red sliced peppers.

The bowl consists of a think layer of the sauce soaked chicken mix mushrooms and ginger top with a big bowl dump of rice.  $9.99.

Franky, you don't have to drive a mile to find a half dozen Chinese food places that will basically give you the same quality or better food at the same quantity for half the price in OC.

If you want better and a little less expensive, try Rasoi Curry House or Kim Huong.  If you want cheap and just as good and filling, try Hong Kong Express or Wok Experience (Team Wok it's call now).  Keep in mind Yang's is in Tustin, and not Tustin, we're mirroring Irvine like at the Marketplace or District.  Seriously, even Panda Express is only $6.30 for a bowl by the District. 

Honestly, I think Panda actually has more entree in their bowl than Yang.  Yang's blinds you with that giant rice pile. Panda is just okay fuel for the body when you're hungry and want something quick.  Sadly, that was my impression, Panda is actually, probably better and not just from a value standpoint.  And yes, I know, Panda ... as I said, I wasn't very impressed.  Checked yelp, noticed 111 reviews and 2.5 stars for Yang, sounds about right.

If you like the flavor profile, then you're stuck. 

nosuchreality said:
aquabliss said:
Picture looks gross, has anyone tried it?

In the hood today so stopped in to try it.

Place was full, however crowd was pretty much of one country origin granted that country has 1/7th of the world's population.

Having tried it, it's not a repeat.  Three dishes, regular, authentic, Spicy.  The regular is basically, chicken, skin & fat in a brown sugar-ginger sauce with mushrooms and thick slices of ginger.  Authentic is that plus a few slices of green spicy pepper. Spicy is authentic plus a few red sliced peppers.

The bowl consists of a think layer of the sauce soaked chicken mix mushrooms and ginger top with a big bowl dump of rice.  $9.99.

Franky, you don't have to drive a mile to find a half dozen Chinese food places that will basically give you the same quality or better food at the same quantity for half the price in OC.
Dude, you're paying for the experience. $5 of the $9.99 was the cost of shipping the secret sauce from Mainland China. Think of the airfare you saved.

Back