Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting  (Read 14901 times)

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2023
  • -Received: 1594
Re: Intermittent Fasting
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2019, 11:27:27 PM »
Still going.

I think I've plateaued a bit so according to Mr. Google I should throw in a cheat day or mix up the timing (like USC said).

I don't know how that is supposed to help but I've gotten pretty good at keeping my windows so I don't want to "cheat' only to find it doesn't do anything.

I got a friend of mine to try it, so let's see what happens with them to see if IF really is an effective diet plan.

BTW: I like chocolate, cake and fried greasy cheesy food... I just moderate it... and keep it inside the windows. :)

Yeah, mix in a 4/20 fast and a 24 hour fast so you keep your body on its toes.  Then you can try a 3 and 5 day fast.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1801
  • -Received: 1474
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2019, 07:31:14 AM »
Then you can try a 3 and 5 day fast.

No carbs, no calories, no cookies, no point in living.

Offline Mety

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 97
  • -Received: 107
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2019, 10:35:33 AM »
My suggestion instead of some special diet plans -

1. Eat what you like but not too much at once.
2. Go to gym or parks to take a walk about 15 min every day.
3. Little bit of speed walk is also helpful.
4. Have a cup of warm green tea once a day especially after a fatty meal.
5. Sleep and wake up early.
6. Don't watch TV.

Try this for a month or two and see if you notice the difference. I believe you will.

#fepo

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »

Honestly, once you get used to doing a 24-hour fast (eating once a week) it's not too hard to do a 3 or 5 day water fast.  You'll find that your hunger isn't that high.  It's actually a way to hit the reset button on your body.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
My suggestion instead of some special diet plans -

1. Eat what you like but not too much at once.
2. Go to gym or parks to take a walk about 15 min every day.
3. Little bit of speed walk is also helpful.
4. Have a cup of warm green tea once a day especially after a fatty meal.
5. Sleep and wake up early.
6. Don't watch TV.

Try this for a month or two and see if you notice the difference. I believe you will.

I agree with you that good sleep and exercise is important but limiting the number of times you eat during the day and fasting for at least 16 hours between meals really works. I've lost over 40lbs in the past 18 months and have kept it off.  There's another 5-10lbs that I want to lose but that'll take going to the gym to lose.  haha
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2032
  • -Received: 3486
  • 3CWG
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2019, 01:49:50 PM »

That's why IF is okay for me... I still eat a cookie, just inside my window. And because I stick to my window, I don't eat those late night cookies... it's a time limiter which as a side effect limits calories without having to count them.

So why not just stuff a ton of cookies during my window? Well, I get full faster because of the limited time and I don't actually feel like I have to eat them... that also keeps me from snacking because I'm not hungry between meals.

I know this is anecdotal and some people here don't value personal experience but that's what it is for me.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 61
  • -Received: 332
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
It's 2 months IHO since you started in early DEC.  How much weight came off?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2019, 07:56:52 AM »
I think I'm around 20-25 lbs down now... but have been there for about a month. As it seems with most diet plans, the initial weight loss is high and so now I have to just be patient with a slower reduction rate.

I'm ramping up the physical activity... just need to not get injured as that always puts me on a backpedal because I can't be active.

Hopefully my anecdotal experience doesn't affect my credibility.
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2019, 04:41:16 PM »
I think I'm around 20-25 lbs down now... but have been there for about a month. As it seems with most diet plans, the initial weight loss is high and so now I have to just be patient with a slower reduction rate.

I'm ramping up the physical activity... just need to not get injured as that always puts me on a backpedal because I can't be active.

To keep the weight loss going, you'll have to mix in 4/20 and 24 hour fasting (eating once a day).  You should watch your carb intake as well.  I've watched several YouTube videos where they said they you have to keep your body guessing so to mix around those various types of IF that you do and you'll continue to see weight loss.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2019, 06:39:18 AM »

To keep the weight loss going, you'll have to mix in 4/20 and 24 hour fasting (eating once a day).  You should watch your carb intake as well.  I've watched several YouTube videos where they said they you have to keep your body guessing so to mix around those various types of IF that you do and you'll continue to see weight loss.

What is the science behind "mixing" the schedules?

I understand that IF in general reduces calories but how does making the fasting period longer (or even throwing in a cheat day) change things to kick start weight loss again? It just seems like extending the fasting period or a 24 hour fast is just reducing calories more, but is there any type of biological reasoning behind a longer fast?
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »

I understand that IF in general reduces calories but how does making the fasting period longer (or even throwing in a cheat day) change things to kick start weight loss again? It just seems like extending the fasting period or a 24 hour fast is just reducing calories more, but is there any type of biological reasoning behind a longer fast?

It's not so much about calorie counting, the longer fasting allows your body to deplete all of the stored glycogen (glucose) in your muscles and liver.  Once you deplete all of your stored glycogen your body goes into ketosis where you are burning fat for energy so the longer the fast the longer your body is in ketosis burning fat. Our bodies adapt very well to changes in the environment so mixing things up will keep your body on its toes.  For example, if you eat 2-3 meals around the same time doing the 8/16 IF then your body knows that food is coming around those times so if for whatever reason you miss a meal around those times your body will release the hungry hormone.  But if you change you the different types of IF then your body will be confused and not waste energy on producing the hunger hormone because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.  When I've done a 24 fast, I've eaten a lot....especially if I go get Korean BBQ....I'll basically eat until I'm stuffed.  Calorie restriction is never a good long term recipe to maintain weight loss as your resting metabolism will decrease to your lower caloric intake.  There have been studies done that people that do extended fasts (2 to 14 days) actually have their resting metabolism stay the same or increase slightly.  The main premise of IF helping you to lose weight is the fact that you are reducing the level of insulin in your body and increase the time that your body is burning fat for energy (ketosis). 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:28:47 PM by USCTrojanCPA »
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 77
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2019, 03:49:00 PM »
I went a little overboard with intermittent fasting.  I was around 400-600 calories per day for a few weeks.  (one meal a day OMAD)

I started having vision problems, like where I would need glasses.  I started eating more and my vision restored.  My vision is back to normal now. 

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »
I went a little overboard with intermittent fasting.  I was around 400-600 calories per day for a few weeks.  (one meal a day OMAD)

I started having vision problems, like where I would need glasses.  I started eating more and my vision restored.  My vision is back to normal now. 

Yeah, you still gotta get enough calories and macro nutrients in your body on a OMAD eating routine.  I basically eat until I'm stuffed to make sure I get enough calories for the day.  When I did a 5 day fast months ago I started getting muscle cramping and spasms at the end of day 4...that was a signal from my body to break the fast.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2019, 08:06:07 AM »

It's not so much about calorie counting, the longer fasting allows your body to deplete all of the stored glycogen (glucose) in your muscles and liver.  Once you deplete all of your stored glycogen your body goes into ketosis where you are burning fat for energy so the longer the fast the longer your body is in ketosis burning fat. Our bodies adapt very well to changes in the environment so mixing things up will keep your body on its toes.  For example, if you eat 2-3 meals around the same time doing the 8/16 IF then your body knows that food is coming around those times so if for whatever reason you miss a meal around those times your body will release the hungry hormone.  But if you change you the different types of IF then your body will be confused and not waste energy on producing the hunger hormone because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.  When I've done a 24 fast, I've eaten a lot....especially if I go get Korean BBQ....I'll basically eat until I'm stuffed.  Calorie restriction is never a good long term recipe to maintain weight loss as your resting metabolism will decrease to your lower caloric intake.  There have been studies done that people that do extended fasts (2 to 14 days) actually have their resting metabolism stay the same or increase slightly.  The main premise of IF helping you to lose weight is the fact that you are reducing the level of insulin in your body and increase the time that your body is burning fat for energy (ketosis). 

USC: I appreciate this response and this is what you have said many times in this thread (as has other sites on IF) but I have yet to find a study that scientifically proves this, esp in regards to insulin production and metabolism (do you have any links?).

What I've read is that comparison of groups that do IF and reduced calorie diets usually lose the same weight during the same time frame, I'm just not sure if the other factors you mention actually occur. It makes sense that they do, but at the same time, the whole premise of "making your body guess when the next meal is coming makes it not waste energy on producing a hungry hormone" needs some explaining to me.

The reason why I think it works is really because it extends the time for my body to burn off calories and fat. And because during my eating window, I'm not really exceeding what I usually eat, the calorie deficit makes it more effective. Additionally, because fasting windows are much easier to maintain than calorie counting or portioning, it tends to be more successful.

Due to be really busy last week, I was actually able to throw in a 22 hour fast, which was pretty easy so I'm going to try that a bit more. But I also had to break a fast over the weekend because we got stuck in an event and didn't have dinner until 10pm.

I think my friend has lost 10 lbs in his first month but I haven't seen him in a few weeks so not sure how he is doing now.
I recommend:
www.loansbyjw.com

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2019, 09:23:11 PM »
Here are a few videos that discuss what I'm talking about more (I love the Dr. Jason Fung videos).

Edit - not sure why the YouTube links aren't coming through but check out these videos...

Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

What I've Learned - Fasting vs. Eating Less: What's the Difference? (Science of Fasting)

#1 SCIENCE BEHIND FASTING: FASTING VS. EATING LESS

The goal with IF (along with eating right) is to reduce the total insulin in your body.  Insulin prevents your body from using your storied fat for energy and from what I've read and seen online is that insulin is a source for inflammation in your body. 
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters