Author Topic: TIC woes  (Read 4340 times)

Offline illinoisjoe

• Thanks
  • -Given: 10
  • -Received: 2
TIC woes
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
I'm not sure if this will end up a rant or a plea for advice. Probably both.

My wife and I are getting a very dim impression of the Irvine Company right off the bat. We used their online system to put a hold on a place exactly as instructed by our slick TIC apartment showing guy. Now they are balking at my wife's SSN because she's a recent immigrant (SSN issued after 2015). They say she needs to present her actual card in person to them before they can move forward processing our application. Nobody mentioned this to us, though it definitely came up that my wife is from Argentina and she has an accent. Also, we were cleverly advised to only apply with one of our names, since they charge $45 per applicant. We chose her, and that ended up being the wrong choice.

Now we're back in Santa Cruz, with firm plans to move into an apartment that we may or may not have on July 1st. TIC is saying our only options are:
  • Have her travel back to Irvine with social security card in hand.
  • Take care of all of this on our moving day, because we won't be busy you know, MOVING. And also I'm sure there won't be anymore unadvertised complications that keep us from unloading our truck.
  • Submit a new application under my name (i.e. fork over another $245), since I'm a citizen with an appropriately aged SSN.

I get that our situation is a bit unusual, but on the other hand, how many immigrants live in TIC apartments now? I doubt she's the first. What really gets me is that we were told our hold would be fully refundable for three days, so of course no one contacted us to mention this problem until day four. Now our $200 has gone from this deposit that was good for any TIC apartment to this thing we have to pay again just to edit the name and SSN on our application.

The contrast in their warmness and eagerness to communicate with us before versus after we applied is not encouraging. They've basically ghosted us since they got our $245. If I had $20 for every time someone there promised to call us back and then didn't, we'd already have our money back. I would have thought they'd wait till we'd given them a few months of rent money before ignoring us to such a degree.

I'd be glad to hear any thoughts and advice on this. Similar experiences?

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline illinoisjoe

• Thanks
  • -Received: 2
Re: TIC woes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
UPDATE: A couple hours after I posted this, some higher-up sales manager called us back and took care of everything: application approved, no need to present social security card in person, everything seems to be moving forward normally. I don't exactly rescind anything I said, but I'm comforted that they did the right thing after exhausting all other options.

Offline zubs

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 313
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:45:32 AM »
Well I'm glad everything worked out for you.
As long as this site has enough eyeballs, it can act like a check on Irvine power.

Offline upon9k

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 6
  • -Received: 40
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
UPDATE: A couple hours after I posted this, some higher-up sales manager called us back and took care of everything: application approved, no need to present social security card in person, everything seems to be moving forward normally. I don't exactly rescind anything I said, but I'm comforted that they did the right thing after exhausting all other options.

Hmm I dunno if I find that comforting or disconcerting?  That TIC only acts when it is outed for shady practices...

Offline Compressed-Village

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 162
  • -Received: 112
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:11:44 PM »

Hmm I dunno if I find that comforting or disconcerting?  That TIC only acts when it is outed for shady practices...

Typical paper pushers, ie clerks often does not understand and just follows the rules by the book. Just get a manager involve and that will clear up the situation in most case.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Realtor aka Realty King
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1888
  • -Received: 1472
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »

Goes to show that TIC does read TalkIrvine.  haha
Martin Mania
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline jmoney74

• Irvine dude
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 459
  • -Received: 345
  • HOA This!

Offline paperboyNC

• Thanks
  • -Given: 300
  • -Received: 221
  • Portola Springs
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 08:32:13 AM »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/09/brandon-mebane-experiences-discrimination-in-orange-county/amp/

Interesting

I am white and have been denied rental homes with no explanation, gotten no response to applications, etc. as well.

If you have that kind of money, I'd recommend purchasing a home.

Offline jmoney74

• Irvine dude
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 459
  • -Received: 345
  • HOA This!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/09/brandon-mebane-experiences-discrimination-in-orange-county/amp/

Interesting

I am white and have been denied rental homes with no explanation, gotten no response to applications, etc. as well.

If you have that kind of money, I'd recommend purchasing a home.

These guy don't know if they will be playing in LA in a year. Hard to commit especially for an NFL player.

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 126
  • -Received: 68
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
I have great credit.  If you make me pay for a credit report and you don't accept me, then I want a refund on that credit report fee.

I applied for a rental in Irvine a few years ago.  This was some random person using a realtor to rent out their place.  I paid for the credit report on both myself and my wife.  Both of our credit scores fluctuate around 800.  The renter then decided to go with someone else.

I told them I was pissed that I had to pay for the credit reports if they weren't going with us.  I asked why we were rejected.  Was it because we had 2 very young kids?  I think that was the case, which would be illegal.

My line of questioning basically resulted in a check to pay me back for the credit report fees.

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 126
  • -Received: 68
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »

Interesting
No proof of racism, however.  Hard to make that claim no matter how likely it is.  They might also be turned off that it is a football player. 

Anyhow...  That said, there's a good chance that it is racism, especially if the owners are Asian. 

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 62
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
I have great credit.  If you make me pay for a credit report and you don't accept me, then I want a refund on that credit report fee.

I applied for a rental in Irvine a few years ago.  This was some random person using a realtor to rent out their place.  I paid for the credit report on both myself and my wife.  Both of our credit scores fluctuate around 800.  The renter then decided to go with someone else.

I told them I was pissed that I had to pay for the credit reports if they weren't going with us.  I asked why we were rejected.  Was it because we had 2 very young kids?  I think that was the case, which would be illegal.

My line of questioning basically resulted in a check to pay me back for the credit report fees.

You missed out on a nice payday. Should have called the Larry H Parker for tenants. :P

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 51
  • -Received: 109
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »

A landlord needs to have the same processes in place to screen EVERYONE.  If someone puts in an application, they need to pay the fee to get a credit check done.  It could be viewed as discrimination if there is a different process for different people (ie. require one applicant to have credit report pulled and not require it from another applicant). 

It's tough to be a renter in a hot market.  The landlord can pick anyone he wants and the reasons might not ever be known unless there is a clear pattern of discrimination against a protected class.  Would you really blame the landlord for say picking a single tenant who is a consultant and travels 75% of the time vs. a family with young kids?  Both have similar credit / income levels?

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 62
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 11:14:02 AM »
Would you really blame the landlord for say picking a single tenant who is a consultant and travels 75% of the time vs. a family with young kids?  Both have similar credit / income levels?

Family status is a protected class.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 51
  • -Received: 109
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Would you really blame the landlord for say picking a single tenant who is a consultant and travels 75% of the time vs. a family with young kids?  Both have similar credit / income levels?

Family status is a protected class.

Right, but how will you ever know why he went with the other tenant.  Maybe the guy was wearing Nike's and the owner is a big fan of Nike shoes.  Isn't that a legal reason?

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: More Homes Being Listed - Irvine by sell4u
[Today at 06:15:08 AM]

Re: Midterm Elections by fortune11
[Yesterday at 06:20:30 PM]

Re: Great Park District 1 West by USCTrojanCPA
[Yesterday at 06:15:19 PM]