• 2%er: Over $300k

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • 1%: Over $500k

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Johns Creeker: Other

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

We've tried to do a poll like this several times before on the IHB and TI.

I'm not trying to Irvine Dream anyone and get your exact household income, just trying to get a general sense since every now and again someone cites Wikipedia and asks how people in Irvine can afford the housing when the median income is $90k.

I'm going to assume most TIers make over $100k, and most likely fall in the $300k range. There may be a few in the $500k range but whoever they are really don't live in Irvine, they just park all their money in Irvine real estate.

I believe polls on here are anonymous and I think I made the ranges large enough so it's not too telling.

Homer_Simpson said:
If you aren't making over $200k alone you aren't trying hard enough.  Not even kidding..

Really, Graduated near top of my class in my field, making mid 100s.  Even that is a struggle.  Guess the wrong field

"Income" includes base salary and bonuses, but are you including share grants vesting each year, and/or routine sales of company equity as "income"?

Perspective said:
"Income" includes base salary and bonuses, but are you including share grants vesting each year, and/or routine sales of company equity as "income"?

You can decide what you consider annual income. This is not the IRS so there is no need for deductions or credits. :)

Homer_Simpson said:
If you aren't making over $200k alone you aren't trying hard enough.  Not even kidding..

Easy big baller... not all of us are as smart and connected as you (key word is "connected").

Whenever my kids ask me what they should do when they grow up, I tell them to ask Uncle Homie.

Irvine Dream said:
Guess the wrong field

I think this is a big factor.

In certain fields, like technical, computers, engineering, you may make more than others but there is a ceiling unless you advance to management. Others, salary is high, but school expense is also high (like medical and law)... and then others, especially in the investment and finance realms, is in the stratosphere and you don't need as much specialized schooling.

I should have been an actor. :)

Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

Really, Graduated near top of my class in my field, making mid 100s.  Even that is a struggle.  Guess the wrong field

Graduating top of your class doesnt mean anything, it's how you apply yourself in your job after that.  I speak from experience.. I have two Ivy grads working for me who graduated near top of their class struggling with the same work as opposed to a public school grad who's busting his butt off learning and putting the hours.  I'm paying these 3 people over $160k a year and you know who's hitting $200k soon??

Anyways, i voted :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Homer_Simpson said:

Easy big baller... not all of us are as smart and connected as you (key word is "connected").

Whenever my kids ask me what they should do when they grow up, I tell them to ask Uncle Homie.

Speaking of balling.. we hitting the courts soon or what?? I'm back in town!

Homer_Simpson said:
Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

Graduating top of your class doesnt mean anything, it's how you apply yourself in your job after that.  I speak from experience.. I have two Ivy grads working for me who graduated near top of their class struggling with the same work as opposed to a public school grad who's busting his butt off learning and putting the hours.  I'm paying these 3 people over $160k a year and you know who's hitting $200k soon??

Anyways, i voted :)

I assume you mean $200,000 per person not household.

It depends on your field of work. The chance for a teacher to make that is near zero unless they decide to be a principal. A nurse could hit it if they worked a lot of overtime or two jobs but working a standard week? Not unless they go into management and even then I bet it would be difficult.

Looking at the initial numbers, we can see why Irvine housing is so expensive... and I need to work for Homie.

@Homie: I would play ball... but I'm injured again... getting old is the worst, more stuff breaks down and it takes longer to recover.

irvinehomeowner said:
Looking at the initial numbers, we can see why Irvine housing is so expensive... and I need to work for Homie.

@Homie: I would play ball... but I'm injured again... getting old is the worst, more stuff breaks down and it takes longer to recover.

Hope you get well soon.  Maybe another time.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm injured again... getting old is the worst, more stuff breaks down and it takes longer to recover.

Iho, I'm worried. You've made many comments regarding your health over the years but it seems like it's been getting quite a bit worse lately. Or am I reading too much into this. Is it just your knees or what? Are you now disabled -- errrr, sorry -- "handicapable" now? I pray your health would be restored & you may be freed of pain. 

Homer_Simpson said:
Graduating top of your class doesnt mean anything,
I didn't say that to boast, I said it to illustrate that I worked hard (and still do) and I work for a good company in a prof field.  Still it is very difficult to make the money I make let alone easy peesy $200K like you say.

Its less about income and more about savings.  There are high income earners that spend every dollar they make and there are low to mid income earners that focus solely on saving.  My gut says the vast majority of Irvine buyers are savers and not spenders. 

In our early 20s, with combined incomes of under $150K, we were saving $50-60K a year and this only went up as our salaries went up.  By the time we bought our first house in our early 30s, we were able to put down well over $500K+.  This opened up houses that otherwise might be out of our price range based solely on our income.  Remember, the loan amount is capped by your income but the purchase price is your loan amount plus your down. 

Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:
I didn't say that to boast, I said it to illustrate that I worked hard (and still do) and I work for a good company in a prof field.  Still it is very difficult to make the money I make let alone easy peesy $200K like you say.

Definitely not saying you are boasting; I can honestly care less.  I graduated top of my class in both undergrad and grad school and realized that working hard in school didn't always translate to success after.  A lot of my friends breezed through school and graduated top of their class but didn't apply themselves and go that extra mile after starting work and now they are stuck. 

Again, these are just my opinions.  I can care less how much anyone else makes as it's really none of my business.  I've mentored 4 college students from undergrad to grad school and now at my company.  I can honestly say work ethic, drive and a little bit of luck gets you to that next level.

irvinehomeowner said:
There may be a few in the $500k range but whoever they are really don't live in Irvine, they just park all their money in Irvine real estate.

They buy and live in Tustin :)

Irvine Dream said:
Homer_Simpson said:

Seems like your looking for suggestions.
On the weekends you should do Uber and/or Lift? ;)
(I wouldn't do that, but just a suggestion.)

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I'm injured again... getting old is the worst, more stuff breaks down and it takes longer to recover.

Iho, I'm worried. You've made many comments regarding your health over the years but it seems like it's been getting quite a bit worse lately. Or am I reading too much into this. Is it just your knees or what? Are you now disabled -- errrr, sorry -- "handicapable" now? I pray your health would be restored & you may be freed of pain. 

Yeah... mostly physical injuries from sports... there might be some mental too but I wouldn't know it. :)

And I've been trying to lose weight for a decade... I think I'm going it wrong because the needle on the scale keeps going the other direction -- twice!!!

What I would like to know is where those 3 homeless people are living.

I hear there will be a place opening up in the Great Park for them. :)

Back