AT&T Fiber vs. Cox Gigablast

potsticker

It looks like I'll have both AT&T Fiber and Cox Gigablast available to choose from when I move into my new Avalon condo at EW Village.

I've decided to "spluge" on internet as I work from home 5 days a week and I'll be cutting the cord and going with some combo of Directv Now + HBO + Reddit streams for sports.

AT&T Fiber comes out to $80/mo for the first 12 months
Cox Gigablast comes out to $69.99/mo for the first 24 months

Does anyone have any feedback on which is better or more consistent? First hand experience would be much appreciated.

Have had att uverse for 9 years and att upgraded fiber for almost a year. Have had two minor outages in that time, but speed and reliability have been great.

I have had at&t gigapower for a year now. My main complaint is that they throttle most cloud services to 20mbps and their upstream connections get congested so streaming video buffers which means it's struggling to get 3-5mbps.

Last I checked, cox gigablast is not available for me.

I will likely go with Cox if AT&T still results in video buffering. At speeds that high, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Add Google Fiber to the graveyard of failed Google products...there's a lot of them!

I currently pay $59.99 a month for Cox for the 150 mbps download speeds.  Doing a speedtest, I only get 60-70 mbps and when I called Cox, they said the 150 number is HARD WIRED.  When wireless, it can vary.

ATT called me and said they offer the 100 mbps download speeds for $50 a month but it is DEDICATED speeds so that means speeds will be constant.  When I asked if the 100 is hardwired, they were not sure. 

Anyone know?  I'm debating whether to make the switch to ATT or not.  They include a modem as part of the $50 a month where for Cox, I had to buy my own modem.

@lovingit:

What they are referring to is the speed if you are hooked up via wired LAN vs wireless wifi.

For ATT, you will also see 60/70 on wifi because it depends on your wireless router, wifi band and wifi device.

Currently on cox 300mbps since giga wasn't available.
With a docsis modem and wifi (ac) 8 channels, hardware I only got 270 ish.
16 channel would probably get the remaining speed.

So wifi I range around 30 to 70 (5ghz). But surprisingly, just tested out a mesh gadget and wifi have reached 120 range, only connected 1 wifi device compared to the original router which probably have 10 devices.  Still tinkering.

By the way, if you plug in ethernet to the modem, if it's blinking orange, means it maxes at 100, if it's green, the max is probably 1000, was testing hardware for max speed, turns out my old laptop is only 10/100, fail

irvinehomeowner said:
@lovingit:

What they are referring to is the speed if you are hooked up via wired LAN vs wireless wifi.

For ATT, you will also see 60/70 on wifi because it depends on your wireless router, wifi band and wifi device.

Thanks.  So will a 50 difference be noticeable?  The rep said 100 fiber optic is probably faster than 150 cable because it isn't shared.  But I only care about wireless speeds not wired speed numbers.

True or false?

Made the switch to Internet 100 with AT&T. A little slower compared to Cox's shared internet Premier.  Laptop the same but iPhone is noticeably slower on apps like Facebook.  Not sure if it's the fiber optic's technology or the wireless gateway that they provided.  ATT is misleading because the Speedtests show 120 Mbps while Cox showed 60 Mbps.  Cox was still faster.  So a dedicated fiber optic line is not better than a shared ATT line.

Ended up getting Cox Gigablast installed and so far, pretty happy with it. The install took about 3 hours. Cox does not pre-wire homes during construction for Fiber like AT&T. Cox has to fish the fiber line all the way through, which complicates the install.

You do lose quite a bit of speed over wifi. Plugged in, I'm at about 950 mpbs down. Over the air, I'm at around 275 mpbs. That said, I plug in when I work and all my streaming services are also plugged in.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Ended up getting Cox Gigablast installed and so far, pretty happy with it. The install took about 3 hours. Cox does not pre-wire homes during construction for Fiber like AT&T. Cox has to fish the fiber line all the way through, which complicates the install.

You do lose quite a bit of speed over wifi. Plugged in, I'm at about 950 mpbs down. Over the air, I'm at around 275 mpbs. That said, I plug in when I work and all my streaming services are also plugged in.
What router are you using?  Friends gigabit he was able to get 600-ish on wifi
Funny thing is that maybe I'm old (who remembers dial up 2400 baud modem and that unforgettable sound), I'm ok with 50 Mbps

5GHz/AC wifi will give you the high speeds but the range is pretty poor compare to 2.4GHz. That's the whole issue about these new wireless high speed technologies.

AD is the new one coming out and it's pretty hilarious how bad it can be as soon as you have obstacle between you and the routeur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3KAbpQpCk.

marmott said:
5GHz/AC wifi will give you the high speeds but the range is pretty poor compare to 2.4GHz. That's the whole issue about these new wireless high speed technologies.

AD is the new one coming out and it's pretty hilarious how bad it can be as soon as you have obstacle between you and the routeur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3KAbpQpCk.

I was telling the ATT technician that but he says that the range for 5 Ghz and 2.4 Ghz is virtually the same, unless you start getting really far away.  In the home, its all the same.  I don't know how much of that is true.

With the ATT Pace router + modem, you can't pick between 5 or 2.4  It selects it for you.  I can't figure out how to jump on one vs the other manually like I could before with Cox.

Asked the local Cox branch to see if the $69.99/24m deal still exists, and was told the offer still around but
installation fee will be $300.. holy...

I think I paid a $100 install. It took 4 hours and it took 2 techs. Maybe that's why they raised the install price.

I went with AT&T Fiber.

Free installation and equipment, $70/mo. (w/ wireless plan bundle discount).  Based on my call with AT&T, that price will not change as long as I don't switch to a different service.  Time will tell if AT&T breaks that promise.

Does anyone go over 1TB since cutting the cord?

Sucks that they have limits on residential data now.

Back