what is a CAT 5E plug?

ak

I'm not that tech savvy....can someone explain to me what a CAT 5E plug is?  Do i need one wherever a TV is placed in the house?  One comes with the home but any extra cost $$.  Thanks. 

It's an ethernet cable classification.  CAT 5e will get you up to 1GBe network connection.  You only need one wherever a TV is placed if you are using Smart TV's that need internet.  Otherwise I'd say coaxial connections are more important, esp if you are planning on getting Cox.

upon9k said:
It's an ethernet cable classification.  CAT 5e will get you up to 1GBe network connection.  You only need one wherever a TV is placed if you are using Smart TV's that need internet.  Otherwise I'd say coaxial connections are more important, esp if you are planning on getting Cox.

If I primarily only use Wifi to connect to the internet is the extra CAT 5e necessary?

If you use wifi then the extra ones I wouldn't get them - esp if they cost $$$.  I got them free in each room from my builder so I took it.  They are much more reliable than wifi in general terms, but not worth builder prices if you are paying.

upon9k said:
If you use wifi then the extra ones I wouldn't get them - esp if they cost $$$.  I got them free in each room from my builder so I took it.  They are much more reliable than wifi in general terms, but not worth builder prices if you are paying.

The builder told me that if I stream HD movies or potentially UHD in the future having these extra CAT 5e plugs would be a huge plus.  My question is do smart TV's have Ethernet ports/connections?  I thought they only had HDMI cable connections.  I know that laptops have Ethernet ports. 

Half of mine have them, the other half have wifi.  Some you need to buy an extra dongle to get the 5e jack, which is the case with my Samsung.  The builder is painting a very general picture, because there's a lot of variability in what they are saying.  The quality of your wifi router comes into play - for example, I have an AC router that I never rebooted in about 2 years of operation and never hiccuped even when streaming Netflix in 4K to 3 machines simultaneously.  The router I had before that went out every week.  And in that case, yes it would help.  But my two cents, save yourself the extra money I doubt you will see the ROI on those extra 5e drops. 

AA said:
upon9k said:

The builder told me that if I stream HD movies or potentially UHD in the future having these extra CAT 5e plugs would be a huge plus.  My question is do smart TV's have Ethernet ports/connections?  I thought they only had HDMI cable connections.  I know that laptops have Ethernet ports.

Smart Tvs and video game systems have an LAN port to connect an Ethernet cable.

How much extra for the upgrade?

AA said:
upon9k said:

If you want a reliable high bandwidth link, you have to have cat5. Any decent new TV will have an ethernet port. 4K @ 60Hz requires around 60-70Mbps.

peppy said:
AA said:
upon9k said:

If you want a reliable high bandwidth link, you have to have cat5. Any decent new TV will have an ethernet port. 4K @ 60Hz requires around 60-70Mbps.

Sounds like getting the extra CAT 5 ports will "future" proof my house especially with all these new UHD/4K streaming coming out.

Can you upgrade to Cat6 cables?  If the price isn't exorbitant, I would definitely recommend getting the outlets added to the rooms.  Wired connections are much much more stable and error free than wireless connections.  Running the cables afterwards will be very costly/messy.

woodburyowner said:
Can you upgrade to Cat6 cables?  If the price isn't exorbitant, I would definitely recommend getting the outlets added to the rooms.  Wired connections are much much more stable and error free than wireless connections.  Running the cables afterwards will be very costly/messy.

No, Cat6 was not mentioned as a option.  So if I understand this correctly.. if I have these Cat5 ports I can just connect an ethernet cable to my laptop or TV to the Cat5 plug in the wall and I will have strong wired internet connection.  Did I describe that correctly?

upon9k said:
Half of mine have them, the other half have wifi.  Some you need to buy an extra dongle to get the 5e jack, which is the case with my Samsung.  The builder is painting a very general picture, because there's a lot of variability in what they are saying.  The quality of your wifi router comes into play - for example, I have an AC router that I never rebooted in about 2 years of operation and never hiccuped even when streaming Netflix in 4K to 3 machines simultaneously.  The router I had before that went out every week.  And in that case, yes it would help.  But my two cents, save yourself the extra money I doubt you will see the ROI on those extra 5e drops.

What are you going to tell your husband or wife? Sorry for the slowness on the tv or playing online video games. I didn't think we will get a good return on investment for the cat5 upgrade..

AA said:
woodburyowner said:

No, Cat6 was not mentioned as a option.  So if I understand this correctly.. if I have these Cat5 ports I can just connect an ethernet cable to my laptop or TV to the Cat5 plug in the wall and I will have strong wired internet connection.  Did I describe that correctly?

You will need a router that is hooked up to the cable modem (or a combo modem/router).

I have both. Wired Cat6 for media/TV and PC at desk. Wireless for mobile/tablet/laptop.

CAT 5:  100MB
CAT 5E:  1GB
CAT 6:  10 GB

When I bought my condo new in Irvine, I had the house pre-wired for CAT5 on each floor plus the garage.  WiFi is convenient, but the long-term effects of wireless device emitted radiation on the human body is still controversial and unknown.  While studies have been done on cell phones, no such study is possible on recently avail high speed routers and other wireless devices simply because they haven't been around long enough.  You can reduce exposure by turning off the devices (and the wireless router) when not in use.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...e-radiation-study-reignites-cancer-questions/https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cell-phones-and-cancer/

peppy said:
AA said:
woodburyowner said:

You will need a router that is hooked up to the cable modem (or a combo modem/router).

I have both. Wired Cat6 for media/TV and PC at desk. Wireless for mobile/tablet/laptop.

I need a router that is hooked up to the cable modem (or a combo modem/router)??  I'm confused.  I have a router and modem hooked up now that gives me internet access and Wifi.  Are you saying i need another modem/router set up at each of the other Cat5 ports in order to get a wired internet connection?

Just get it. Even if you don't use it initially, there will be a use in the future.

Cost is negligible and worth the upgrade. If I was in the market for a home and walking through a home that was recently built and did not see ethernet drops in each room, the answer would be an immediate "NO"

All new cable boxes come with Coax or ethernet options. Also if you want to do surveillance, or other type of devices you might not necessarily want to run it wireless. I know plenty of paranoid people that do not like to have their home network set up wirelessly.

I'm in the IT field, trust me, no WEP or WPA2 encryption is 100% safe. It amazes me how many things people are willing to put out on the internet these days. Just to let you know, the Amazon Echo is always listening to your conversations and those wireless front door, garage access... People are nuts.

Just my 2 cents

rickr said:
Just get it. Even if you don't use it initially, there will be a use in the future.

Cost is negligible and worth the upgrade. If I was in the market for a home and walking through a home that was recently built and did not see ethernet drops in each room, the answer would be an immediate "NO"

All new cable boxes come with Coax or ethernet options. Also if you want to do surveillance, or other type of devices you might not necessarily want to run it wireless. I know plenty of paranoid people that do not like to have their home network set up wirelessly.

I'm in the IT field, trust me, no WEP or WPA2 encryption is 100% safe. It amazes me how many things people are willing to put out on the internet these days. Just to let you know, the Amazon Echo is always listening to your conversations and those wireless front door, garage access... People are nuts.

Just my 2 cents

That is why I'm not a fan of Amazon Echo.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/07/tech/amazon-echo-alexa-bentonville-arkansas-murder-case/

Just the fact that your words might be used against you in court.

AA said:
peppy said:
AA said:
woodburyowner said:

I need a router that is hooked up to the cable modem (or a combo modem/router)??  I'm confused.  I have a router and modem hooked up now that gives me internet access and Wifi.  Are you saying i need another modem/router set up at each of the other Cat5 ports in order to get a wired internet connection?

There should be a communications closet/area where all the ethernet cables go (they go between there and each one of the jacks you are putting in). Each one of those cables needs to go into a router to "activate" the jack in the room.

AA said:
peppy said:
AA said:
woodburyowner said:

some routers only have so many slots, so you can't plug it all in.
What routers do you guys use as to not lose bandwidth with all these streaming devices, mobile phones, laptops, tablets, thermostats, garage opener, solar monitoring, gaming consoles, etc etc.

peppy said:
AA said:
peppy said:
AA said:
woodburyowner said:

There should be a communications closet/area where all the ethernet cables go (they go between there and each one of the jacks you are putting in). Each one of those cables needs to go into a router to "activate" the jack in the room.

So router and modem will need to be in the communications closet/area with the ethernet cables plugged into them and then i can just connect an ethernet cable to the Cat5 jack and to my TV or Laptop and have a wired connection.  Correct?

Back