Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course

WTTCHMN said:
Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course, playgrounds replacing early, grand plan
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/2...ing-to-economic-realities-and-changing-needs/
Giant sports park. Just like any of the thousands of others suburban sports parks in So Cal except bigger.  Whopee.  If they can't fund anything "great" at the Great Park, they should just leave it as open space until they do find the funds.  A piece of land that big is a once in forever opportunity and should not be developed half assed for lack of funding. Nothing iconic about a big sports park.

Happiness said:
WTTCHMN said:
Orange County Great Park: Sports park, water park, ice rink, golf course, playgrounds replacing early, grand plan
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/2...ing-to-economic-realities-and-changing-needs/
Giant sports park. Just like any of the thousands of others suburban sports parks in So Cal except bigger.  Whopee.  If they can't fund anything "great" at the Great Park, they should just leave it as open space until they do find the funds.  A piece of land that big is a once in forever opportunity and should not be developed half assed for lack of funding. Nothing iconic about a big sports park.

Yeah, this Great Park is quite mediocre.

It will be nice but it will not be as iconic as original visioned.  And maybe that's a good thing.  It won't attract that many people and won't clot up the traffic on Sand Canyon. :)

The Sports park pavilions are being designed by the architects famous for their iconic Olympic villages. There is a common goal for Greatpark is to make Irvine cool and making it a national destination a new place for UCI students to hang out instead of Diamond Jamboree.

This would be a leap for the population enamored with small pocket parks, vehicular gates and strip malls.

irvinehomeshopper said:
There is a common goal for Greatpark is to make Irvine cool and making it a national destination a new place for UCI students to hang out instead of Diamond Jamboree.

Maybe they should make the area better by UCI. (University Center and surrounding shopping strip malls.)

they still have a chance to make it into some unique/great with the "cultural terrace" portion which is still a large section of the park.

but yeah, for now its just one big sports park. yay.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
There is a common goal for Greatpark is to make Irvine cool and making it a national destination a new place for UCI students to hang out instead of Diamond Jamboree.

Maybe they should make the area better by UCI. (University Center and surrounding shopping strip malls.)

The University Center is much improved. They are tearing down one of the buildings and the Focus Dance Studio is moving to Woodbridge which will open up more spots for eateries and other college-type stores. A mini-Target is opening up where 24-hour Fitness used to be.

The only other closest strip mall has space limitations but that also has new places like The Habit and Asian Box. The Japanese restaurant closed so I imagine they will get something more trendy in there. Strickland's Ice Cream is still one of the best ice cream shops in Irvine.

Possibly the surrounding area of CSUF has better food/hanging out options vs. the area around UCI. (just a thought)

Which colleges have the best university Village full of eateries like Dean and Deluca, Macaroons, cupcakes, shoppings like Anthropology, J Crew, Kate Spade, Northface, Zagot rated restaurants offering international cuisines, neighborhood bars and no homelessness.
Trader Joe's, Hmart and Wholefoods nearby.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Which colleges have the best university Village full of eateries like Dean and Deluca, Macaroons, cupcakes, shoppings like Anthropology, J Crew, Kate Spade, Northface, Zagot rated restaurants offering international cuisines, neighborhood bars and no homelessness.

Is this a preview of what's to come, IHS? Or, is it a genuine question?

UCLA is surrounded by some great food, shopping and atmosphere.  San Diego State also has some great eateries and shopping in the vicinity. 

It would be awesome if GP still had plans for a food hall styled location like YF mentioned, along with additional food/shopping.  Even if it ends up being a huge sports park, having options on site would make it easy for families there for games.

Prototype,

You are very perceptive! The two campuses you cited are fairly good with some amenities but still very far from being ideal. There are only a few campuses in America that have this richness of amenities within walking distance from campus. I hate those oversized sports parks with no amenities surrounding the fields. This won't be the case. I would not enjoy sitting out in the sun and sit through 3 hours of little league. I want to sit at a eaterie and enjoy the game and do a little bit of shopping and return to the stand at the 3rd hour. Irvine is boring and lifeless. Lesson learned.

irvinehomeshopper said:

But what college kid shops at Dean & Deluca??  IHS, you've been watching too many Felicity reruns.

Ok, I'll bite.  The only place with all of those shops is Georgetown.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Prototype,

You are very perceptive! The two campuses you cited are fairly good with some amenities but still very far from being ideal. There are only a few campuses in America that have this richness of amenities within walking distance from campus. I hate those oversized sports parks with no amenities surrounding the fields. This won't be the case. I would not enjoy sitting out in the sun and sit through 3 hours of little league. I want to sit at a eaterie and enjoy the game and do a little bit of shopping and return to the stand at the 3rd hour. Irvine is boring and lifeless. Lesson learned.

I truly hope that this is a preview of what's to come, IHS!

because they don't have ~700 acres available to work with at university town center? 

honestly if the only thing that is lost is the man made canyon...then fine by me, no big deal.

totally spot on w/regards to a massive sports park with zero amenities.    Just make sure to have a massive multi use complex and i'll be happy.  hell i would have been okay with a library-ish type of thing with many functional spaces/rooms (as opposed to a boring traditional library).

Hell I'd drop the golf course and think about a better use of that space.  Even fields with lots of trees is better than a golf course. Maybe add the basketball courts that should have never been missed.

Back