CD is stuck in my laptop

socal78

Does anyone know how to get a CD out of a laptop when the Eject "button" won't work?

I tried looking up help online but the advice relates to a CD tray. There is no tray here.

:(

Look online for the specific laptop model.

Even with slot load drives, there is some physical override switch (the CD trays used that little recessed button you could stick a paper clip end into).

P.S. Isn't the Mr. in IT?

irvinehomeowner said:
Look online for the specific laptop model.

Even with slot load drives, there is some physical override switch (the CD trays used that little recessed button you could stick a paper clip end into).

P.S. Isn't the Mr. in IT?

It's a Dell. I flipped it over. It looks like the sticker on the bottom says: P02E.

I looked up the manual online. I'll be honest. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I can't find it in the manual.

P.S. It's the age-old riddle: "Who cuts the barber's hair?"  :) I've been asking for help for days. The response was "it doesn't hurt to leave the CD in there." I get it. But to me, that's not a solution. I just really want the CD out.

B2FiNiTY said:
Take apart the laptop. Shouldn't be too hard.

Oh, Lord. Thank you for the advice but I can guarantee I'll have to buy a new laptop if I try that.  :D

SoCal said:
Does anyone know how to get a CD out of a laptop when the Eject "button" won't work?

I tried looking up help online but the advice relates to a CD tray. There is no tray here.

:(

There still isn't a small little hole to stick a paperclip end into?

jmoney74 said:
There still isn't a small little hole to stick a paperclip end into?

I'm looking all over for a little hole. Near the slot? I don't see one. I'll keep looking.

If it's slot loading, on many laptops the only way to get it out is by opening it up (removing keyboard, hand rest, etc) and accessing it that way. Rather than going through all this, a gentle tap may be all that is needed if the thing is at least alive (disc is spinning up, whirring sounds, etc). Some have a screw (fairly inaccessible) that you turn but in many cases it's easier to just replace the drive as a whole at this point.

The paper clip method only is available on tray loading DVD players.

Hey, Potsticker. Your video worked! I went to the file drive, right clicked, and hit "Eject". It came right out.

Thanks, Potsticker & Geeksquad. Not all heroes wear capes!

I'm pretty good at taking things apart, if you need help. 
I have boxes of things I've taken apart.  Wife labeled the boxes "things he took apart but didn't put back together"

spootieho said:
I'm pretty good at taking things apart, if you need help. 

You have no idea how much I appreciate the offer. Luckily, I was able to get it out yesterday after watching Potsticker's video. But thank you!

Back