flooring suggestion

_irviner

hi we are buying property in eastwood and we have chosen darker cabinets through builder. post close  we want to change the flooring any suggestions on flooring

- Wood (not sure if it would go with darker cabinets)
- Porcelain (easy maintenance however grout issues are a concern)
- marble (expensive, no grout, tough to clean on citric spills)

I'd do laminate wood.  I went with an Chinese guy for mine and it was like $1.50 or something a sq ft...Adds value later on if you decide to sell.  Carpet doesn't add the best resale value unless it's like high quality

YellowFever said:
Forgot all of the above.  How about you ask the builder to just use the existing concrete floor and then just seal and polish it up?  Concrete is the NEW thang these days.

The Costco look? Just wait until you get cracks ....

The polished concrete finish is $5+ per sq ft.

By choosing dark wood cabinets, you've pretty much eliminated hardwood flooring, but all other options remain available.

Perspective said:
The polished concrete finish is $5+ per sq ft.

By choosing dark wood cabinets, you've pretty much eliminated hardwood flooring, but all other options remain available.

Not true.

You can still do light colored wood (like a natural bamboo). Go on Houzz or Pinterest to get an idea of what it will look like.

Light colored wood with dark cabinets would still work.  here is how it looks with our upgraded kitchen and flooring

Attachments

• IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 243
Perspective said:

Wha? Dark wood cabs/wood flooring combo is prevalent in model homes isn't it?

irvinehomeowner said:
Perspective said:

Model homes do some interesting things. I used the term "pretty much," because it is difficult to coordinate a certain wood/tone of cabinets with hardwood flooring. One solution is to avoid contact - use tile in the kitchen (and baths of course) and hardwood elsewhere, so that the hardwood flooring doesn't touch the cabinets.

The image above looks good. It can be done. But just look at some current listings and you'll see that it can be done poorly too.

Perspective said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Perspective said:

Model homes do some interesting things. I used the term "pretty much," because it is difficult to coordinate a certain wood/tone of cabinets with hardwood flooring. One solution is to avoid contact - use tile in the kitchen (and baths of course) and hardwood elsewhere, so that the hardwood flooring doesn't touch the cabinets.

The image above looks good. It can be done. But just look at some current listings and you'll see that it can be done poorly too.

you can say that with everything

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Perspective said:

you can say that with everything

ad hominem in 3, 2, 1...

Only had to visit one listing, from the WTF thread today, to find an example of hardwood flooring that doesn't work with the kitchen cabinets. Fortunately they didn't carry the hardwood into the kitchen amplifying the contrast.

Attachments

• 20170321.jpg
    20170321.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 245
Separating the living flooring from the kitchen flooring looks awful, and kills the great room concept.  Just pick a floor that goes nicely with your cabinets.

Back