Dick Church's

steppingup

I don't know why, but my husband has had this intrigue with Dick Church's ever since we moved to CM. I think he had the impression that it was some hidden little gem that the locals frequent. That being said, the chances of the two of us going out to dinner there are slim to none (right up there with Norm's).

So, he's out of town and I think it will be nice to take mom out for dinner, so off to Dick's we go. Time has stood still there. Do remember in the 70's when the wine list consisted of "rose, chablis and burgundy" which translated into boxed red, white or pink? Well, if you're yearning for that nostalgia, go see Dick. But Dick isn't what you would expect, he's a very friendly and welcoming owner who even after 30 years still says, in the words of Haiku, "swams cwub."

The menu is very homestyle, which is to say that you can get liver and onions. Does anybody order liver and onions?!! Mom gets the fried clams as a special more carbs than her 82 yr old diabetic body should have, but I was relieved when they arrived as there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 or 6.

I had the special prime rib that they offer only on Friday and Saturday nights until "they run out." I wish they had run out at 6:30. A full third of it was fat and there was a nasty hair in my au jus.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm really not. I actually found it all so comical, sitting in an orange vinyl booth eating brown iceburg lettuce as my salad. I'm not disappointed as I didn't have high hopes, but if there are any of you out there who, like my husband, are yearning to check out Dick's in the hopes that it might be good, head to Norm's because as we drove by there on the way home, there was a damned wait... and, they never close.

Back