Landfill and Portola Springs/Lambert Ranch /Stonegate/Pavilion Park

OceanMist

I am completely confused regarding the landfill issue for Portola neighborhood which is discussed many times on this forum. Some people in the forum are of the opinion that this issue is restricted to Portola neighborhood. I fail to understand that how can smell be restricted to one neighborhood when other neighborhoods are equidistant as Portola or so close from landfill.

Somebody on the forum gave below aerial distance from landfill:

Distance from Landfill in miles: 
Portola Springs: 1.52 Mi
Lambert: 1.52 Mi
Pavilion Park (Rosemist & Sagewood): 1.75 Mi
Stonegate / Lafayette: 2.42 Mi

This clearly shows that Portola and Lambert aerial distance is exactly same from landfill and other neighborhoods are very close to landfill. In fact we all know that some parts of Portola is equidistant to Stonegate too. If for discussion sake we believe that foul smell is there, would it stop on Portola Parkway and not go to other neighborhoods--such as, Lambert, Pavillion Park, and Stonegate? So, why landfill is made an issue for Portola? What an I missing here?

I bet for 90% of the residents of all these communities, if they didn't know it was there, they wouldn't know it was there. 

My friends at Lambert smell the landfill. Ok havent smelled it at PS.

Because there's absolute no smell. 

If there's smell and with Santa Ana wind blow just the right direction, almost entire Irvine should smell something but we don't. 

FYI, Turtle ridge and some New Port Beach community are build right next to Coyote Canyon Landfill that was closed in 1990 and these communities are doing just fine.

Attachments

• Coyote Canyon Landfill.jpg
    Coyote Canyon Landfill.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 377
There may be no smell (don't have any personal experience with this), but it sure is ugly to look at when driving up Sand Canyon. Is it getting bigger? I feel like the gash in the mountainside is becoming more and more noticeable.

I don't see any difference on the mountains, rather they look more green and beautiful because of the heavy rains.

Over by Tustin Legacy is where it smells... just drive down Warner near Jamboree and you get the WM facility cologne.

Or maybe it's qweroma?

<R2D Shield activated>

nyc to oc said:
There may be no smell (don't have any personal experience with this), but it sure is ugly to look at when driving up Sand Canyon. Is it getting bigger? I feel like the gash in the mountainside is becoming more and more noticeable.

I think the gash on the mountainside is not due to the landfill pilling higher but due to landslides.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/landfill-638531-county-landslides.html

ndhzbm-landfill.gif

What you are missing is you need to take this site in with a grain of salt people like to sensationalize things here on talk irvine. I live right down below the landfill can't smell anything, besides what am I going to do about it the landfill opened in 1990 nothing was around back then farms/old shooting range bee keepers and maybe 1 old house in lambert ranch. It will stay open until around 2053 give or take, people will continue to complain about it but the show will go on, so sit back have a beer and deal with it/get over it.

The constant smell from the trash trucks driving back and forth on sand canyon is worse in my opinion.  In addition there is a lot of dust generated from these trucks.  I am not sure if its from the trash or from the trucks driving on dirt in the landfill.

Still worried about the landfill, andy? I wouldn't buy in those areas then. I recommend Quail Hill. It's far from the landfill yet not too old that could still fit within your budget. But make sure you don't buy near the power lines and freeways though.

Oh don't worry about the landfill. It's the most high tech one you will ever see. It's so clean that you can build a house right next to it.

Back