AT&T Fiber for New Development Communities in Irvine (Marin)

frankdatank

I am thinking about purchasing one of the swanky homes in new development, Marin at Eastwood Village in Irvine.  It is on Jeffery and Irvine Blvd, does anyone know if AT&T Fiber will be coming to these new development homes?

I work out of my house a lot and a blazing fast internet connection (especially upload) is a necessity for my work.

I don't mind Cox, but cable packages have crappy upload and I need a very good upload connection.

Also, for those currently on 1000/1000 AT&T Fiber in Irvine, is it really unlimited bandwidth if you pay the extra $30?  How has the service been?

It's really unlimited (I have Uverse TV so I don't have to pay extra).

The upload is way better than what I had before (previously had 2mbps upload)
The download is way better than what I had before (previously had only 20mbps, whereas now multiple streams can get bandwidth)

They seem to throttle individual connections so I can't upload/download to any cloud (AWS, Dropbox, Onedrive, etc) at more than 20 mbps on a single connection. Multi-threaded uploads/downloads get 20mbps each. Similarly youtube can't stream easily at 4k as 20mbps isn't enough.

I do get buffering on streaming video as well. AT&T tech says it's because the connection between AT&T and the video sites are getting overwhelmed at peak usage times. If I switch to my cellular hotspot, I'll just get no buffering on the same sites.

TLDR; You get a big pipe, but each connection is throttled.

I called the builders, they said Phase 1 homes in my interest community already have AT&T Fiber.  I guess that means Phase 2/3 are going to have it as well? I hope.

@sunking have you seen the 20/20 connection throttling paperboyNC was talking about?

I'm in the area that only gets shitty AT&T fake Uverse.  I was told that in a few months, they would have real Uverse and high speed options here.  I hope it's true, but won't bet on it.

My experience with fiber optic is poor. The internet 100 is slower than Cox Premier even though they will try to sell youon the dedicated line being faster than a shared Cox line.  It was noticeably slower, at least when browsing on the iPhone.

My understanding is that AT&T has pre-wired almost all new units in Eastwood. You will see their fiber in your connection box in the home. AT&T's wifi router is poor, so I'd expect poor speeds. At least Cox gives you a fairly passable Netgear one with Fiber.

I used to have the lowest speed you could get with AT&T fiber (35 or 45Mbps) and I recently switched to 100Mbps after the promo price expired. It didn't change anything to be honest, the only positive is that my sustained download speed is much higher (from 3MB/s to 15MB/s). Latency in game is still the same (very low at ~5ms) and this is the advantage of fiber over copper.

Changing for a better routeur was the only thing improving wifi experience.

lovingit said:
marmott said:
I would blame their wifi routeur more than the line itself. The AT&T box is pretty poor.

Is the AT&T/Pace 5268AC FXN that bad?  It's still an "AC" router.

They gave me the 5268 with our when we got our Gig Fiber internet.  I find it decent enough that I'm not going to waste my time doing a double bridge config like I did on the Actiontec gateway when I lived in a Verizon Fios area(most of the provider gateways hand out IP's to your set top boxes if you also get TV service which I do, so you need to keep the gateway in the mix even if you replace the Wifi portion with your own equipment). 

I know a lot of people like to point the finger at the provider gateway/router but you also have to test your devices and the sites you are hitting as well.  I have 3 Lenovo laptops with AC modems that get vary from 300mbps all the way up to 600mbps.  As I said before in another thread, the diff between 600mbps on wifi and 900mbps on wired "sounds" like a lot but you won't really notice it.  I found most of the services or website I download large files from don't have 100mbps, let alone 1gbps of egress bandwidth to allocate to your download.  For example, most of Microsoft's developer network download links max out around 10 megabytes per second, which is about 80 megabits per second. 

What I find shady is their advertising.  They claim that the $50/month price includes the wireless gateway.  But you are paying taxes for it.  So it's just like renting it.  When asked if I can just use my own modem and router, they denied it and said ATT only signs up customers when they use their hardware.  Cox on the other hand, does not charge tax if you use your own hardware.  I had a flat $59.99/month rate using my own hardware.  In the end, even a shared line with my own hardware was faster than ATT's dedicated fiber optic.  Of course, it could be their wireless gateway and not their service itself. 

lovingit said:
What I find shady is their advertising.  They claim that the $50/month price includes the wireless gateway.  But you are paying taxes for it.  So it's just like renting it.  When asked if I can just use my own modem and router, they denied it and said ATT only signs up customers when they use their hardware.  Cox on the other hand, does not charge tax if you use your own hardware.  I had a flat $59.99/month rate using my own hardware.  In the end, even a shared line with my own hardware was faster than ATT's dedicated fiber optic.  Of course, it could be their wireless gateway and not their service itself.

Hmm I get what you are saying about it's like renting it but I don't get charged any taxes on the internet nor the gateway.  There's like 7 taxes but all are for TV related reasons (Sports Broadcast fee, etc. etc.).  See in my bill where it's flat $70 no taxes.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 261
Back