Base camp? Great Park - Any idea?

Fxguy

Does anyone here have an idea when the Base camp retail center is going up in Greatpark? There are thousands of houses built or being built but no grocery stores or pharmacy and gas station. Will there be any around there?

Anytime lines or plans that are public anywhere that would give us more info?

I was at some of the Parasol Park models last weekend and asked, specifically, about this.  It looks like they are going to curve Great Park Blvd and include some shopping/retail for the GP community.  The retailers will be facing the neighborhood so if you're on Great Park Blvd, you'll be facing the back of the retailers.  From the sounds of it, it's going to be pretty awesome and should be completed by 2018.

The section of land at the great park Blvd and ridge valley intersection (site of proposed retail) is now being cleared...so construction. may begin anytime soon. Wondering what retail will come up at that space. Will be helpful to have a pharmacy or a small grocery in there.

According to the City Planning's doc, the Base Camp (District 1-South): "73 acres for multi-use, medical and science, and community commercial purposes."

The fist pic is an old map of GP development show where this Base Camp is located.  The second pic is a more recent map from a city meeting in January 2016 and we can see the layout of this Base Camp more clearly. 

Attachments

• GP Development Map.jpg
    GP Development Map.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,480
  • GP District 1-South Base Camp.jpg
    GP District 1-South Base Camp.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 962
These base camp descriptions from FivePoint look very promising.  Hope these artist rendering and design elements come through. 
https://fivepoint.com/elements/commercial.html

THE BASE
The Base is envisioned to incorporate the best of a European style village with alleyways, restaurants, rooftop entertainment, retail and more. With a location adjacent to the Orange County Great Park Sports Park, this vibrant retail district is being designed to serve residents and sports park users as well as the greater Orange County population.

thebase2-S.jpg

thebase3-S.jpg

thebase1-L.jpg

Wow. Looks great! I also hope it's as nice and charming as the artist renderings. I do want a some type of grocery store or market place to buy veggies and meats.

I second the grocery store...I know the woodbury Trader Joe is too close but it would be amazing to have one here at GP... or something like that..

Totally agree, need more grocery stores and not random eclectic boutique retailers that results in high turnover.

Need to build more than just this one if the next couple of GP neighborhoods are being built

ParasolParker said:
I second the grocery store...I know the woodbury Trader Joe is too close but it would be amazing to have one here at GP... or something like that..

small little sprout market would do well.

AW said:
Totally agree, need more grocery stores and not random eclectic boutique retailers that results in high turnover.

Need to build more than just this one if the next couple of GP neighborhoods are being built

High end grocery stores?

Between Base Camp and Warehouse 415, we should have some great options for food and retail! I'm really looking forward to it!

How about a food hall?

From OCR article linked in this old thread:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14431.msg290829.html#msg290829

Base Camp

FivePoint?s first commercial district will be located just south of Parasol Park.

Trabuco Road will be rerouted to curve through the 72-acre development with stores and businesses on both sides of the road.

Plans call for two hotels, two office buildings, stores and restaurants, including a food hall similar to the Anaheim Packing House. It is expected to serve residents and patrons from the adjacent Sports Park.

I'm secretly hoping they use some elements from The Grove/Farmer's Market at La Brea + supermarket.  Used to live across the street and I would frequent at at least once or twice a week.

id_rather_be_racing said:
I'm secretly hoping they use some elements from The Grove/Farmer's Market at La Brea + supermarket.  Used to live across the street and I would frequent at at least once or twice a week.

The grove is a nice place to go with family or bring your relatives out of town if they come to visit.

So you lived in the really high rise apartment complex?

eyephone said:
id_rather_be_racing said:

The grove is a nice place to go with family or bring your relatives out of town if they come to visit.

So you lived in the really high rise apartment complex?

Haha I wish.  I lived at the huge apartment complex Park La Brea.  It was a great area to be with tons of restaurants/retail within walking distance.  Base camp would literally be just on the other corner of the intersection for me, which is why I'm really hoping this commercial area is executed properly.

ParasolParker said:
I know the woodbury Trader Joe is too close but it would be amazing to have one here at GP

Fat chance. If T.J.'s won't even put one in F.R. after numerous requests, saying it's too close to Woodbury 8 mi. away, then they're not going to put one in the G.P.

SoCal said:
ParasolParker said:
I know the woodbury Trader Joe is too close but it would be amazing to have one here at GP

Fat chance. If T.J.'s won't even put one in F.R. after numerous requests, saying it's too close to Woodbury 8 mi. away, then they're not going to put one in the G.P.
The other one in Irvine isn't that far from Woodbury town center. I think they are just blowing smoke. That said, no, they aren't going to put a TJ's in the base camp though. Sprouts would be nice and far more feasible (given distance to one in Marketplace / Westpark areas). 

Back