Stock picks

J

jmoney74

Starting a new thread for stock picks.

Name off some hot ones to help TI members achieve their dreams. Currently I like financial stocks like BAC but that's slow moving. Please contribute. 

When you make your recommendation you should put the price so it's easy to track the good/bad picks.

Ya and don't edit the post once it's posted.

I'll pick: MLM @ $230.50, they'll probably be making the concrete for trumps Mexico wall, and that needs a special reinforced mix at $100 per bag, right!?

jmoney74 said:
Got any studs qwerty?

BAC$22.89

Not right now. I rode up Vale, FCX, PBR and NBR when they were all down. Outside of our 401ks and my wife's ESPP shares for her company we are out of the market. Just seems a little frothy right now. If anything I feel like shorting oil. Any production cuts by OPEC will be offset with US production output.

So I guess I would go with SCO at 32.25 on 2/1/16. It's levered at 2x.

My investment accounts are 80% cash right now. I also sold 80% in 2007 and got back in 2011. Not sure if I'll be right again. So far I'm wrong.

paperboyNC said:
My investment accounts are 80% cash right now. I also sold 80% in 2007 and got back in 2011. Not sure if I'll be right again. So far I'm wrong.

You'll be right eventually, the tough part is being right on the way back up.

irvinehomeowner said:
NFLX, AMZN, AAPL, DIS, GOOG, TGT, MSFT

Hold until retirement. :)

You really going out on the limb for us.. lol. 

I wish I was more ballsy at times.. although there is the negative side to that as well.  My friend told me to get into AMD last year around $1+.. company is doing okay but it's at 12 bucks now! 

I am risk averse, so I only invest in sure things... staple stocks and Irvine real estate. :)

BTW: Remember how members here were panning NFLX? Bet they all wish they bought in back then.

jmoney74 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
NFLX, AMZN, AAPL, DIS, GOOG, TGT, MSFT

Hold until retirement. :)

You really going out on the limb for us.. lol. 

I wish I was more ballsy at times.. although there is the negative side to that as well.  My friend told me to get into AMD last year around $1+.. company is doing okay but it's at 12 bucks now!

Haha, I just sold my AMD, not because I'm smart like your friend, I bought it waaaay back then when it was around 9-10, and saw it tank

From reading the book Buffet recommends/edit, could always go the conservative route and just put some away on the market/index like sp500 or whatever, and consistently add to it every month or every quarter. This is obviously for the long term, ride the hills and valleys, but overall trend for the next 30 years (or when you retire), it's the belief that slope is upwards and outgains inflation by a lot.
#winning

Haha I just left the market as well

I had AMZN, DIS, GM, TSLA, FB
sold all of them when the dow broke 20,000

my personal thoughts on those I bought (amzn might hit $1000, who knows, dis is solid with marvel, but I think espn holding it down, GM gives good dividends, tsla with the trump situation might be tricky now, FB hasn't done quite as well as I hoped, maybe due to fake news/VR)

so around 21% gain in a year...decided not to try my luck anymore.  Short term it was a good idea as those are all lower now...but I'll probably not be able to buy into those stocks anymore especially amazon.  I bought the day it fell to $550 or so...I think with the announcement of some competitor (Netflix I think with new shows)

I wish I was more ballsy to keep them forever, but I figure now is a risky time to be investing.

Biggest regret in the past year, I bought 1000 shares of GSV when it was around .95 or so (yolo style)...sold it when it hit around 1.03 since it was so up and down.  Today it's 2.81.... ugh that could've been 300% increase  :'(

I'll probably hold it as cash for a little longer until I see another amazon like situation

irvinehomeowner said:
I am risk averse, so I only invest in sure things... staple stocks and Irvine real estate. :)

BTW: Remember how members here were panning NFLX? Bet they all wish they bought in back then.

Not me... loved in back then... not so sure at theses prices though.

If you're going long term - what about biotech ETFs like BIB, IBB, XBI?  Short-term might be a little rough though.

I think Citi (C) has quite a bit of room to move up this year to catch up with the other big banks.  BAC is solid though for a while. 

US companies with lots of $$ overseas to repatriate back will be a good play as well.  CSCO and AAPL come to mind.

My non-sexy/value pick is American Eagle Outfitters (AEO).  3+% dividend, 11.5 P/E Ratio and low Price/Cash Flow and PEG Ratios to boot.

Sold out of the money puts on AAPL, GOOD, and FB before earnings.  Earlier told sold $136 weekly calls on FB for some extra pocket change (have a stop loss on it though).  Also sold the $15 weekly VIX calls earlier today for .15 (have $20 weekly VIX calls that I sold last week).  Not sure that I want to play AMZN's earnings since they've burned me a lot before.

paydawg said:
If you're going long term - what about biotech ETFs like BIB, IBB, XBI?  Short-term might be a little rough though.

I think Citi (C) has quite a bit of room to move up this year to catch up with the other big banks.  BAC is solid though for a while. 

US companies with lots of $$ overseas to repatriate back will be a good play as well.  CSCO and AAPL come to mind.

My non-sexy/value pick is American Eagle Outfitters (AEO).  3+% dividend, 11.5 P/E Ratio and low Price/Cash Flow and PEG Ratios to boot.

XLF is a good one at $23.  With the inevitable going to happen to Dodd Frank.. financials are a good play and this ETF is safe.

SoclosetoIrvine said:
Haha I just left the market as well

I had AMZN, DIS, GM, TSLA, FB
sold all of them when the dow broke 20,000

my personal thoughts on those I bought (amzn might hit $1000, who knows, dis is solid with marvel, but I think espn holding it down, GM gives good dividends, tsla with the trump situation might be tricky now, FB hasn't done quite as well as I hoped, maybe due to fake news/VR)

so around 21% gain in a year...decided not to try my luck anymore.  Short term it was a good idea as those are all lower now...but I'll probably not be able to buy into those stocks anymore especially amazon.  I bought the day it fell to $550 or so...I think with the announcement of some competitor (Netflix I think with new shows)

I wish I was more ballsy to keep them forever, but I figure now is a risky time to be investing.

Biggest regret in the past year, I bought 1000 shares of GSV when it was around .95 or so (yolo style)...sold it when it hit around 1.03 since it was so up and down.  Today it's 2.81.... ugh that could've been 300% increase  :'(

I'll probably hold it as cash for a little longer until I see another amazon like situation

Hindsight 20/20.  There are plenty of times I missed the boat.  I got into Netflix early during my start of career at $15.. sold at $30.  Thought I did well with 100% right?  lol. 

jmoney74 said:
Hindsight 20/20.  There are plenty of times I missed the boat.  I got into Netflix early during my start of career at $15.. sold at $30.  Thought I did well with 100% right?  lol. 

Just like Irvine real estate. Long ago could have bought some condos for $100k and SFRs for $200k, now how much are they going for? :)

irvinehomeowner said:
jmoney74 said:

Just like Irvine real estate. Long ago could have bought some condos for $100k and SFRs for $200k, now how much are they going for? :)

So I'm putting my foot down and gathering fellow TIers to not let a good thing go!

Back