Author Topic: Stock picks  (Read 82860 times)

Offline sleepy5136

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 17
Re: Stock picks
« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2021, 06:13:57 PM »
Robinhood CEO interview was a joke. The CEO mentioned they decided to halt buy orders for certain stocks because of a liquidity issue. The moderator then asked what liquidity issue is there and if there is it would lead to more questions. He then immediately said there were no liquidity issues right after. Like what the hell...?

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 484
  • -Received: 761
« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
AOC on twitch taking about GME and Robinhood.

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 171
  • -Received: 269
« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2021, 08:25:08 PM »
Unmask WSB.

The initial tout on Jan 13th caused 140M surge in trading volume in a day.  That's $2.8B, or 100,000 retail investors taking $30,000 swings on a reddit tout.

300,000 taking $10,000 swings?

Oh wait, Robinhood average investor portfolio size is under $5000.

If you dive a little deeper into this, it becomes a lot more than just retail investors vs. hedge funds.

Regulators fell asleep at the switch, allowing a stock to be shorted 140% of available shares should have been the bigger story to begin with.

WSB showed how easily finance reporters and regulators default to defending the hedge funds they're supposed to be holding accountable.

Unfortunately that's not sexy enough to grab headline attentions...

so we are stuck with this "oh no! the wrong people are manipulating the stock market" narrative.

While I agree there was likely a regulatory shortfall, I don't really think it was in allowing the short interest to high. In my opinion, if you look at the chart and timing, the WSB noise on the 13th and through the 21st it was a minor squeeze event.

Then it totally blew up.  Blew up right when all the financial media started picking up the story.  CNBC, Motley Fool, down to the youtubers blaring easy $200 Grand a year.

JIMHO, the bulk of financial media is a boiler room pumping panic and hype on everything for eyeballs.  Newsmax for the jonesing to be rich.  That's the regulatory gap, IMHO.

Agree on media being a significant driving force behind this Gamestop squeeze. But this likely would not have happened if regulators stopped GME stocks from being shorted 140%.

There is zero fundamentals to backup the shorts. Shorting 140% of a company's total stock makes zero mathematical sense.

There's definitely an elemental of YouTube influencers, internet celebs, and other loosely organized capitals joining the pile-on, but this was fundamentally a trade that started by retail investors catching hedge fund managers with their pants down.

Also I think it's morally bankrupt to make the case against mass media / alternative media hyping the Gamestop squeeze when we legally allow hedge fund managers to go CNBC / CNN Business to pump/dump their stock picks while claiming to be "net neutral". There's no fundamental difference between the two.

For people who are not familiar with stock trading, hedge fund managers claiming to be "net neutral" while pumping their stock pick is the biggest scam BS that's regularly seen on CNBC.

Lastly. I agree with SGIP that we are in desperate need of a financial transaction tax. (and more transparency regulations)

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 171
  • -Received: 269
« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Robinhood CEO interview was a joke. The CEO mentioned they decided to halt buy orders for certain stocks because of a liquidity issue. The moderator then asked what liquidity issue is there and if there is it would lead to more questions. He then immediately said there were no liquidity issues right after. Like what the hell...?

There is a lot of conflict on interest going on. The hedge fund CITADEL has huge short positions on Gamestop stock. CITADEL also pays Robinhood for their order flows, about 40% of CITADEL revenue is from Robinhood.

If you had any doubts about America's priorities, just watch how this unfolds. I can almost guarantee the government will respond faster to a hedge fund losing money to reddit memes than it did to the capitol coup.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 484
  • -Received: 761
« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »
If worthless companies go sky high. I am out of the stock market.
I see another crash based on valuation.
I was watching CNBC and they said the market cap of GME was bigger than Delta airlines.
If GME management was smart they would issue more shares.

(Auto type feature has been finding me problems on my end)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 02:17:15 PM by eyephone »

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 145
  • -Received: 528
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2021, 02:06:09 PM »
Robinhood took off the brakes on GME today.

We will see how long inflows can keep the ball in the air.

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused NMLS Licensed
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 996
  • -Received: 1190
  • Isaiah 58: 6-11
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2021, 02:33:32 PM »
I read it was 2 shares maximum that RH will allow a buyer to purchase.

Me? I'm long Marie Antoinette Industries (NYSE: CHOP) as this is the eventual terminus point whenever the masses get in a twist like this.
My .02c

SGIP

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2021, 02:36:54 PM »

Me? I'm long Marie Antoinette Industries (NYSE: CHOP) as this is the eventual terminus point whenever the masses get in a twist like this.

That is probably 50-100% of the typical RH account value.

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 11
  • -Received: 176
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »

They changed to 1 share partially through the trading day today.

RH CEO interview with Cuomo was a joke. Did not address any of the concerns about why they decided to let retail investors sell positions but not buy. If they were actually "concerned" wouldn't they halt ALL trading?

After this stunt I'm no longer going to fund RH and use ETrade which did not restrict any trading. I would close RH via ACATS but I'm not giving them the satisfaction of earning my $75 closing account fee.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 768
  • -Received: 440
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »
I sold all my TSLA shares last year to buy retail (KSS, JWN) stocks.  For Jan here are my major trades:

Sold in Jan:
Retail: KSS/JWN/OSTK/W
COVID-19:  MRNA/SRNE/NOVN   
Holding some shares of MRNA/SRNE/INO/CPRX/CTLT, curious to see if MRNA hits $200

Reduced position by half in Jan:
Banking:  BAC/C/JPM
Oil ETF:  FENY/FILL/GUSH/OIH
Holding oil/gas mutual funds

Bought in Jan:
ARKF/ARKG/ARKK/ARKQ/ARKW  (yes I went down the list and bought all 5)
Semiconductor:  HIMX/SMH/SOXX/UMC
Others:  FIVG/GBTC/HOLX/PLTR/SLV (warning: silver price can be roller coaster)
Pure dumb luck:  Bought ABML for $1/s, +200% and holding.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 03:19:08 PM by momopi »

Offline momopi

• Thanks

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2522
  • -Received: 2020
« Reply #446 on: February 01, 2021, 09:35:09 PM »

Yeah, after they got a lifetime of another $2.4B on top of the $1B they got last week.  Let's see how much longer until they need more capital.  I'm glad I've stayed with TDAmeritrade over the years.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2522
  • -Received: 2020
« Reply #447 on: February 01, 2021, 09:36:50 PM »
I like the builder stocks...LEN, DHI, and TOL along with Zillow.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
« Reply #448 on: February 02, 2021, 09:05:47 AM »

Yeah, after they got a lifetime of another $2.4B on top of the $1B they got last week.  Let's see how much longer until they need more capital.  I'm glad I've stayed with TDAmeritrade over the years.

I haven’t dug in that much on RH, my basic guess is since a large chunk of their 2 million small accounts hopped on the 1700% rollercoaster, their minimum net capital requirement jumped a few hundred percent.

Caught a glimpse of Cuban squawking on CNBC flipping channels saying not fair to small investors not knowing their broker can’t handle it.  My initial thought is that sounds good except RH, IMO, wouldn’t or couldn’t exist if they had more rigorous capital requirements.

GME is pounded today, back to back $100/losses which sounds bad, but it’s still up 500% from the initial move.  At a float of 50M shares and daily trade volume sub 10m it doesn’t take much to push the stock.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2021, 02:56:02 PM »
I like the builder stocks...LEN, DHI, and TOL along with Zillow.

Of these, I like DHI the best and think it'd be profitable investment for 2021.  However buyers need to be aware that in previous housing bubble, the stock price of these companies crashed hard from 2005 to 2009.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Apple New Products by aquabliss
[Today at 02:03:13 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:15:59 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:11:18 AM]

Re: Apple New Products by zovall