Author Topic: Immigration Ban  (Read 62532 times)

Offline Loco_local

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 23
  • -Received: 46
Re: Immigration Ban
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »
I'm glad the president is keeping us safe from doctors

CHICAGO DOCTOR BLOCKED FROM RETURNING TO US SUES TRUMP

CHICAGO -- A Chicago doctor stranded overseas by the travel ban imposed by President Donald Trump is now taking on the president.

Dr. Amer al Homssi said he is "collateral damage" in Trump's immigration order, and is stranded in the Middle East where he traveled to get married 10 days ago.

When the University of Illinois - Chicago doctor tried to return to the U.S. on Sunday, he said American authorities overseas blocked him from boarding the plane home.

Al Homssi, 24, was at Abu Dhabi International Airport in the United Arab Emirates, heading home to Chicago where he works at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn as an internal medicine resident through his program at UIC.

Al Homssi is a Syrian native who holds a UAE passport and an American J-1 student visa.

The trouble began when al Homssi arrived to the check-in area for U.S. residents and visa-holders on Sunday.

Instead of processing him through for the flight home, al Homssi said he was ordered into secondary security screening where he voluntarily turned over his cell phone and other personal belongings.

A short time later, U.S. officers informed him he wasn't going anywhere because of Trump's executive order banning immigration from seven Muslim-majority nations, including Syria, where he was born.

"Classic insanity. I mean, it's just so ignorant and stupid. I don't understand it. I'm just embarrassed that my country would do something like that," said Thomas Durkin, al Homssi's attorney.

Durkin filed a federal lawsuit in Chicago naming top U.S. officials and stating that al Homssi is "collateral damage in President Trump's ill-planned and discriminatory executive order."

The suit states that Homssi's "dreadful consequences...are the result of his being a member of the Muslim faith that is now being treated differently in the United States."

As a result of the policy, al Homssi's American visa, his ticket back into the U.S., has a cancellation notice on it that was handwritten by an American Homeland Security agent in Abu Dhabi, preventing him from returning to Chicago.

Al Homssi was supposed to be at work on Wednesday, and if he loses his medical residency he could actually be returned to Syria. As he waits overseas, his attorneys will ask a federal judge for emergency relief in the case.

http://abc7.com/news/doctor-blocked-from-returning-to-us-sues-trump/1731025/

Offline Loco_local

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
ACLU attorneys in California win release of LAX detainees, but say others still held

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/01/30/68559/aclu-attorneys-in-california-win-release-of-lax-de/

LAX immigration agents asked detainees to sign away their legal residency status, attorneys say

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/01/30/68577/lax-immigration-agents-asked-detainees-to-sign-awa/

Offline Perspective

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 119
  • -Received: 153
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Just shakin' things up and a big FU to the Establishment (whoever that is) - just what Trump voters wanted!

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 299
  • -Received: 559
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 04:09:43 PM »
UCI demonstrators protest Trump's orders on immigration

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-0201-uci-rally-20170130-story.html

The second picture down, seems like people are laughing in the background?

I can say I'm not surprised with people laughing in the background.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:43:06 PM by eyephone »

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
Just shakin' things up and a big FU to the Establishment (whoever that is) - just what Trump voters wanted!

What do you expect? Things are changing and we have to keep up. Just look at Europe out of control. Big time problems with the refugees.

The wife from San Bernadino shooting came here with a K1 Visa.

Another thing to bring up there are many people that are over staying their visa.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:32:41 PM by eyephone »

Offline tim

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 66
  • -Received: 13
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »

Offline Loco_local

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 04:43:25 AM »

What do you expect? Things are changing and we have to keep up. Just look at Europe out of control. Big time problems with the refugees.

Another thing to bring up there are many people that are over staying their visa.

Using that logic, we should ban all Asians from universities because the Virginia Tech shooter was Asian and the UC Santa Barbara shooter was half Asian.

And another thing, there are a lot of people here on fake H1B visas.  Isn't there a poster here who can explain the fraudulent immigrant visa practices that operate in Irvine.  Just a hint - they don't serve people from the Middle East.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:44 AM »

Using that logic, we should ban all Asians from universities because the Virginia Tech shooter was Asian and the UC Santa Barbara shooter was half Asian.

And another thing, there are a lot of people here on fake H1B visas.  Isn't there a poster here who can explain the fraudulent immigrant visa practices that operate in Irvine.  Just a hint - they don't serve people from the Middle East.

The difference between San Bernadino incident vs Virgina tech and Ucsb is that the San Berndino shooters were inspired by a terrorist group. Also, the Virgina Tech and ucsb students had mental health issues.

How do you know there are many people on TI has a fake HIB visas? Also, how do you that there isn't a person from the Middle East over stayed there visa?

I originally stated there is a problem with people over staying their visas. (I did not single out an area)

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:36:45 AM by eyephone »

Offline Loco_local

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »
Sorry, you're right. By "here", I meant the US in general or more specifically Orange County, not anyone from TI.

Offline tim

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 03:28:55 PM »
Appeals Court just ruled - the travel ban will remain blocked for now.

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 77
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
I posted this in the Trump thread but it seems more appropriate here:

I think we can all agree Trumps executive order with the ban was a poorly thought out mess. 

It is my ignorant understanding that Trump's orders were valid.  If they weren't, then I wonder whether all the past orders were also violations and what it means for future presidents.  I'm not sure that the district courts are unbiased.  Shit the Supreme Court has it's own biases (which is one of the big reasons Trump was elected). 

What stops Trump from issuing a similar order that's more well thought out?

Whether the ban is allowed or not, Trump made the effort that his supporters wanted.  Hopefully, this will be a learning lesson for the future of his presidency that he can't just rush stuff out without giving it adequate consideration.  (I said hopefully, not likely, hopefully). 

Trump wanted 6 months while he puts together a better vetting program.  Let's see if that was his true intent and we see some stricter protocols within the next 5.5 months. All they have to be is something slightly better than what we have now.  I have a feeling that one of the following will happen: either nothing is proposed or something way to extreme is proposed. 

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »

So what are your thoughts on people that overstay their visas?

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 10
  • -Received: 62
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
It is my ignorant understanding that Trump's orders were valid.   

The administration is trying to argue that the president has the ultimate authority in any decisions made to "protect the national security" and as such any EO with this in mind would be unreviewable by the judiciary. If this is not an autocratic position then what is?

Offline tim

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 05:27:09 PM »

So what are your thoughts on people that overstay their visas?

This explains it well enough for me.
http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/consequences-of-overstaying-on-temporary-visa.html

Nothing there particularly jumps out at me as needing to change.

How about you?

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 77
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »
Can Trump issue a similar (but different) order that's much more well thought out?

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts