Author Topic: Immigration Ban  (Read 60784 times)

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 287
  • -Received: 556

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
Re: Immigration Ban
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »
I guess I'll think twice before going to Starbucks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/01/30/starbucks-promised-to-hire-thousands-of-refugees-critics-want-a-boycott

"Howard Schultz, chief executive of the Starbucks coffee chain, has announced plans to hire thousands of refugees in dozens of countries around the world over the next five years. People who disagree with his stance have poured out their disdain with the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks"

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 147
  • -Received: 77
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/01/30/starbucks-promised-to-hire-thousands-of-refugees-critics-want-a-boycott

"Howard Schultz, chief executive of the Starbucks coffee chain, has announced plans to hire thousands of refugees in dozens of countries around the world over the next five years. People who disagree with his stance have poured out their disdain with the hashtag #BoycottStarbucks"
I don't like how Starbucks gets political and you will never find me shopping there.  There's plenty of reasons to boycott them.

That said...

I think it's great that they are making a commitment to hiring refugees. 

Refugees come to our country legally and have a lot of hurdles to overcome.  They asked for help and we welcomed them here.  They typically have no money (though they get pretty good welfare).  They probably don't know our language.  They need to learn new skills to get jobs here.  Why get mad because someone offered them a job?  Why get mad at them for needing a job? 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:26:36 AM by spootieho »

Offline Loco_local

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 23
  • -Received: 46
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
Just curious, does anyone know if Iranians who bought houses in Orange County and have permanent residency be allowed back into the US if they were abroad when the president's executive order took place?

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
Just curious, does anyone know if Iranians who bought houses in Orange County and have permanent residency be allowed back into the US if they were abroad when the president's executive order took place?

There potentially might be some real estate deals?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:42:33 AM by eyephone »

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 10:07:13 AM »

In retaliation Iran is going to ban US visitors.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15C0NR

My comment: This is too funny.

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1801
  • -Received: 1474
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 10:30:51 AM »

Oh, noes. First Iraq, now Iran. There go all my Valentine's Day plans. Guess I'll have to settle for a romantic helicopter tour through the hills of Afghanistan instead.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Loco_local

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 23
  • -Received: 46
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »

Oh, noes. First Iraq, now Iran. There go all my Valentine's Day plans. Guess I'll have to settle for a romantic helicopter tour through the hills of Afghanistan instead.

The poppy fields are supposedly lovely. It's good that we're keeping the Iliad supply chain open. We're going to need it.

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 355
  • -Received: 299
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 11:41:02 AM »

I hope the place you bought your holiday burqas at have a good return policy.

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15C0NR

My comment: This is too funny.
Making Americans safe.  I'm tired of hearing about Americans getting caught in Iran. 

On a side note, at my previous home our neighbors were from Iran.  Around 2011 or 2012, the wife flew to Iran to see her family.  We noticed we haven't seen her in months.  We asked the dad, and he said there was a travel ban and she couldn't fly back.  She was stuck in Iran for about 6 months unable to come home to her family and 4 year old daughter.  That's pretty rough.

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
  • -Given: 1801
  • -Received: 1474
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 01:26:42 PM »

Pottery Barn has a generous return policy on curtains. I'm good.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »

Pottery Barn has a generous return policy on curtains. I'm good.

Apparently it's okay to use flags as burqas too. 

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

I don't like how Starbucks gets political and you will never find me shopping there.  There's plenty of reasons to boycott them.

That said...

I think it's great that they are making a commitment to hiring refugees. 

Refugees come to our country legally and have a lot of hurdles to overcome.  They asked for help and we welcomed them here.  They typically have no money (though they get pretty good welfare).  They probably don't know our language.  They need to learn new skills to get jobs here.  Why get mad because someone offered them a job?  Why get mad at them for needing a job?

Why didn't Howard Schultz offer jobs to Americans/Veterans that are unemployed or struggling first?

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »
Why didn't Howard Schultz offer jobs to Americans/Veterans that are unemployed or struggling first?
As far as I know, they do hire Americans.  Do they have a policy to not hire veterans?  Do veterans even want to work there?  This sort of argument feels like it's hitting a few logical fallacies such as appeal to emotion. 

I feel that Starbucks is probably better suited to take on low skilled workers such as refugees and refugees have it pretty hard.  The fact and premise is, these refugees are here legally.  They asked for our help and we invited them here. 

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »
"Trump fires acting US Attorney General Yates, White House says she 'betrayed' DOJ"

"Ms. Yates is an Obama Administration appointee who is weak on borders and very weak on illegal immigration," the White House said in a statement."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/acting-us-attorney-general-tells-doj-lawyers-not-to-defend-trumps-travel-ban.html

#YourFired
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:00:49 AM by eyephone »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: SCOTUS by fortune11
[Today at 04:44:55 AM]

Snowflakes by morekaos
[Yesterday at 10:12:03 PM]