Kids' Cell Phone Contract

socal78

I printed this out, went over it together as a group, and I made each kid write all their passwords on it and sign & date it. Then I scanned it & emailed it to myself so I can whip out a copy at any time. I hope this may help other parents on T.I.

5708bd6b3be3c143a3a8f70ccdccb0ea.jpg

Oh, boy. The eldest just went off to his room and Google-chatted me this:

"[Insert his full name here] signing the Cell Phone Contract, 1214 (colourized)"

king-john-signing-magna-carta.jpg

If it's an iphone, are you going to activate the find friends feature?  It tells you where the cell phone is at all times.

Yup, I've got tracking on the phones. Thanks for reminding me. I should probably make an amendment to the contract to include keeping his location info on at all times especially when he starts driving.

I've talked to some friends about this find friends app on the iphone.  One of them said...don't tell my wife about it!..Another said she would try to secretly activate it on her boyfriends iphone....so much distrust!

If they are not iPhones, you can use Life360.

I like that app because it gives me alerts when they enter/leave a designated area and also tells me how much battery they have left.

Mr. SoCal & older boy specifically prefer androids. So, they decided what we bought for everyone. We use the locating feature through Google+. It's very transparent. It shows a map on everyone's phone. We can all see where one another are.

I like the idea of receiving alerts and seeing battery power, although oldest SoCal, Jr. likes to carry a battery-run charger with him when he's out & about. I'll have to check out Life360. 

Have you guys seen those devices you can plug into the car which allows parental control? I saw a commercial for one recently but I can't remember the name. It lets the parent limit the top speed. Love that. I think it even lets you set a limit for the volume of the music being played. Love! If anyone's seen that commercial air on t.v. recently and remembers the name - let me know! Very interested.

SoCal said:
Have you guys seen those devices you can plug into the car which allows parental control? I saw a commercial for one recently but I can't remember the name. It lets the parent limit the top speed. Love that. I think it even lets you set a limit for the volume of the music being played. Love! If anyone's seen that commercial air on t.v. recently and remembers the name - let me know! Very interested.

You are probably thinking of Ford's MyKey but that is directly tied to the car features and preferences are tied to a key/fob.  The devices you plug in can only read the diagnostic port data and alert you of risky behaviors (high speed, hard braking, etc) but not enforce any limits on the car.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/17/11026184/verizon-hum-teen-driver-location-speed-tracking-update

Don't think it limits top speed, just lets you know if they exceed a threshold.  From what the article says, all the nanny features are built into the OBDII port device, which means it can only work as long as it's plugged into the port under the steering wheel.  If they unplug it, you'll know, but that's all you'll know.  If they unplug it and turn off the phone, it would be just like being a kid driving a car in the 1980s.  I know, right?  The horror!

When my kid gets old enough to have a cell phone I'll just offer to let her use mine.  If she rejects it, end of discussion.  If she takes it, she'll be too uncool to get into any trouble. 

Is that a flip phone?  Ewwwwww!

Back