Teak vs eucalyptus outdoor wood furniture

yoyo2012

We like the look of wood for outdoor furniture. Shopping around, there seems to be 2 options. Eucalyptus and teak. Teak seems to be the best option although more expensive.

Heavy thick Teak set would cost 3-4K. A thinner teak set like this one is low 2K :https://www.lowes.com/pd/International-Home-Amazonia-9-Piece-Teak-Patio-Dining-Set/50167123

An equivalent set in Eucalyptus is about 30-40% lower. Example:https://www.lowes.com/pd/Internatio...ce-Brown-Eucalyptus-Patio-Dining-Set/50055187

We want something good that will last. And that look decent 5-10 years down the line (hopefully). How does Eucalyptus vs teak compare. I'm guessing the Teak sets in the low 2Ks might be thinner, not sure if that's really a big deal but if it doesn't last, it is. Is the premium on a lighter Teak set vs Eucalyptus set worth it? Or do you basically have to go all in with the 4K sets for the difference to really matter? 

Teak last forever, after sometimes, you do have to refinish as the outdoor elements will take a beating on the stain. But as soon as you refinish, the set will looks amazing again. There is a reason why teak cost so much up front.

We have a heavier Eucalyptus set.    Looked at teak, but the price for equivalent teak at the time was more like 4X.  We picked it up after season on clearance.  Marked down like 70% off original price making the teak option at the time something insane like 10X option.

It's been abused.  Blazing sun and exposed to rain it's 6 years old, I've applied linseed oil like twice.  Still looks great.  Actually looks better to me, aged.  And I mean it's taken careless abuse and held up. 

Still, giving that it's 6 years, it's fair and the option was bought with the knowledge that it wasn't a forever piece, we're still looking to remodel our outside and may change out at that time.

Have both teak and eucalyptus. 

Teak for sure is nicer, make sure you get teak from the heart or center of the tree. Lots more oil.

Think they're both good, nothing lasts forever, but teak set is much nicer after several years of sun.

Back