Turtle Rock Teardowns

abcd1234

There have been a ton of teardowns in TRock and I am specifically interested in Marquand Contracting.  They did a Santa Barbara home (easily 4500-5000 sq feet) off of Sierra Boca.  Does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to tear down a home (maybe save a garage wall) and then rebuild a new home.  What's the going rates these days? 
http://www.marquandcontracting.com/gallery-2/

abcd1234 said:
There have been a ton of teardowns in TRock and I am specifically interested in Marquand Contracting.  They did a Santa Barbara home (easily 4500-5000 sq feet) off of Sierra Boca.  Does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to tear down a home (maybe save a garage wall) and then rebuild a new home.  What's the going rates these days? 
http://www.marquandcontracting.com/gallery-2/

Wow those look nice.  Ive tried to get quotes before from other contractors.  Never get a clear answer.  Let us know what you find.  I have been told to expect $300-350 a sq foot for a 2 story home using good to decent materials/upgrades. 

I'm pretty sure this company isn't cheap - you're probably looking at about $500 / sq ft with them.

It's hard to find good quality contractors to do remodels and ground up builds for a decent price.  The good quality ones bill themselves as luxury and charge an arm and a leg, they'll reference their builds in Newport Beach, CDM, etc., and the other half you can't trust and you're worried they'll leave you with a half built home.

The best thing to do is to shop your architectural drawing around to different construction companies.
That way everyone is quoting on the same plan.

But first you need a signed off blue print which will costs thousands as well.

Per Marquand, who I called for a different project: min is $200-250/sq ft for new build..depends on finishes, sq footage, # of baths and whether you want pool/landscape

I wonder how much IHS charges for a blueprint to do a teardown in Turtle Rock (say 3,500 sqft).  I think 5 years ago he wrote about charging $200,000...but I'm not sure what you got for that price.

probably a crane and porcupine or something.

zubs said:
The best thing to do is to shop your architectural drawing around to different construction companies.
That way everyone is quoting on the same plan.

But first you need a signed off blue print which will costs thousands as well.

I've heard horror stories about doing this as well.  What will happen if your contractor doesn't do your engineering drawing is inevitably your contractor will come to you mid-way through the job and say something like...

"oh the footings that they put in the engineering drawing are not secure enough so we have to add XYZ  and this will be $2,500 extra"
or
"the roofline that is in your blueprint isn't supported by the standard truss so we have to either do custom truss for $5k additional or modify your blueprint for $5k additional"

Of course if you know your stuff, you can argue these things, or if you have your contractor do your blueprint, it will be on them to ensure they quoted you per the drawing they completed. 

Back