Ugly Pie Pizza

someguy

Ouch. 

I hope a great artisan pizza place like Angelina's Pizzeria Napoletana place fills this now vacant commercial space.  I think the market for cracker crust pizza (think pieology, blaze) is over saturated.  Kind of a bummer to see another business depart from the Orchard Hills center :(

Attachments

• Photo Nov 02, 7 00 35 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 02, 7 00 35 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 488
This explains why they cleared out the place and put up a sign saying "remodeling in progress".  They defaulted on their rent and just cut and run.

This shopping center is toxic, even a pizza place can't survive.  Who's next:  gourmet burgers?  Another food poisoning poke joint?  I wouldn't mind a flame broiler or Waba Grill. 

ps9 said:
This shopping center is toxic, even a pizza place can't survive.  Who's next:  gourmet burgers?  Another food poisoning poke joint?  I wouldn't mind a flame broiler or Waba Grill.

Other factors played into this that we don't know about. The other Ugly Pie location in El Segundo also closed, so this was likely a matter of deeper financial issues, not shopping center toxicity. The rest of the tenants in the shopping center seem to be doing just fine. Come to think of it, the only other tenant that left the shopping center in recent history was Haggen, and that closure was also caused by broader financial issues.

Villager said:
ps9 said:

Other factors played into this that we don't know about. The other Ugly Pie location in El Segundo also closed, so this was likely a matter of deeper financial issues, not shopping center toxicity. The rest of the tenants in the shopping center seem to be doing just fine. Come to think of it, the only other tenant that left the shopping center in recent history was Haggen, and that closure was also caused by broader financial issues.

Golden Spoon, Pavilions before Haggen, before Jiinbei it was Shin Steak, and before that it was Ayame Sushi.  I think there was another pizza place that had also closed before Ugly Pie.  And still, no one has taken over the anchor space which has remained vacant for over a year despite tons of homes being built.

Still don't think it's toxic??

Johnnie's was there and very good, but they "moved" to Quail Hill. Center should have more stuff. I'm surprised Chico's survives.

Leport is doing fine....They can make that whole shopping center into one big Montessori.  yay.
I went to the Pizza place before ugly pizza back in 2012...it was alright.
That plaza has bad juju....prob need a feng shui expert to fix it.

Orchard Hills people must be low key shoppers, or that plaza is too close to other plazas ( I don't think this is true). 

Zovs and La Sirena, MC D's,  etc do fine. 

Anyway, that pizza wasn't that good for the price.  It was supposed to be some quick made to order pizza situation, but all you did was go to the counter and order the pizza that you want and wait for it, pretty traditional.

The problem with many Asian entrepreneurs is lack of creativity and innovation.  This is often what happens when your formative years are focused solely on standardized tests and getting into name brand schools and collecting credentials. The PRC is an entire nation of imitators.  How many times have you heard this story: Asian person goes into a business (i.e. Pieology), looks around and says "this place is a gold mine!" They copy it thinking the $$$ will start pouring in.  However, there is a lot to creating and running a successful business than the superficial aspects that can be easily copied. Ugly Pie failed because it was an imitation that was not markedly better than the real thing.

Happiness said:
The problem with many Asian entrepreneurs is lack of creativity and innovation.  This is often what happens when your formative years are focused solely on standardized tests and getting into name brand schools and collecting credentials. The PRC is an entire nation of imitators.  How many times have you heard this story: Asian person goes into a business (i.e. Pieology), looks around and says "this place is a gold mine!" They copy it thinking the $$$ will start pouring in.  However, there is a lot to creating and running a successful business than the superficial aspects that can be easily copied. Ugly Pie failed because it was an imitation that was not markedly better than the real thing.

Except Ugly Pie copied Pielogy which is actually Asian-owned (Michael Chang, the tennis player).

WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:

Except Ugly Pie copied Pielogy which is actually Asian-owned (Michael Chang, the tennis player).
I said many, not all, Asians are uncreative.  Michael Chang is Taiwanese, not PRC Chinese, otherwise, he'd be Michael Zhang.

One of my favorite place at OH plaza is Jin Bei.  I go there almost once a week.  They do very well and it's always packed during dinner even on the weekdays.
One of the better sushi places in this area.  Also, La Sirena Grill does very well with good business.  Asian Bistro food is subpar and not sure how they stay in business as I barely see any customers.

Need more food choices and a supermarket.

Happiness said:
WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:

I said many, not all, Asians are uncreative.  Michael Chang is Taiwanese, not PRC Chinese, otherwise, he'd be Michael Zhang.

Gee, you hate the PRC as much as your doppelganger IHS.

WTTCHMN said:
Happiness said:

It's owned by his brother Carl.  I'm pretty sure Michael is an investor though.

Finally a new tenant where Ugly pie Pizza was in Orchard Hills Shopping, but but but.... Pizza Hut chain store really after all these years???? I thought Irvine Company was not into Chains?  Haven't tried Pizza Hut in 10+ years, but I will give it a Shot.

Goriot said:
Finally a new tenant where Ugly pie Pizza was in Orchard Hills Shopping, but but but.... Pizza Hut chain store really after all these years???? I thought Irvine Company was not into Chains?  Haven't tried Pizza Hut in 10+ years, but I will give it a Shot.

Wow really, Pizza Hut?  TIC must have been desperate.  The Hut Favorite and Parmesan crust are actually not bad, but it?s still Pizza Hut.

They will have a steady stream of customers from OH school.

aquabliss said:
Goriot said:

Wow really, Pizza Hut?  TIC must have been desperate.  The Hut Favorite and Parmesan crust are actually not bad, but it?s still Pizza Hut.

Back