Elfa vs. custom closet

irvinetabby

Hi,
I'd like to install something other than the standard rods in the master closet. I'm debating between Elfa from the Container Store and a custom closet company like Cabinet Plus.

I like the fact that Elfa seems open (makes room seem less cramped) and I still have access to the floor (great for vacuuming). Not to mention we plan to take out the crappy carpet in a few years, so having a custom closet could be a problem. Elfa is priced at less than 2k with tons of drawers. I have not gotten a quote from Cabinets Plus yet.

Have you had experience with either? I'm leaning towards Elfa, but I'm worried dust will get into all the mesh drawers, since it is not an enclosed system. This is a huge concern for me (I hate dust) and the only thing holding me back from jumping on the sale they have going on right now.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

I actually have both of them.  Cabinets Plus cabinets for the Master closet and Elfa shelves for the garage. 

Elfa works great, a lot cheaper but really hard to clean those wire mesh and you right about being open, you really can't keep the dust out.  And if you have guest over to tour your hose, you can't really have undies in those drawers.  :-[  Also it doesn't have that build-in upscale looks of custom closet organizer. 

As great as how Elfa works, I'm willing to pay extra for the custom closet organizer mainly just for that build-in look.  That's why I'm only use Elfa in the garage and Cabinet Plus for the master closet. 

We have the Elfa.  Liked the looks of a custom closet more, and started going down that path, but the Elfa system is modular and just more practical  than anything custom we could have gotten for probably 3x or more the price. 
We haven't noticed an issue with dust in the drawers, as they stack vertically and are covered above by either shelving or hanging clothes typically.  It looks like they have plastic drawers now, which would keep the dust out, and different opacities if you're worried about seeing what's inside.  I can't really see what's in our mesh drawers without opening them.

I wanted to make sure the support rails (the 1 piece that bolts to the wall and supports the weight of the entire closet on that wall) was fastened to studs, and not to drywall anchors, and I had a very frustrating conversation with the manager on duty, who kept telling me that it was random, and some holes in the rail would line up with studs, and some wouldn't.  I tried explaining that the holes are 8" apart, and the studs are 16" apart, so you will either hit all the studs, or none of the studs.  She couldn't quite grasp the logic.  But anyway we agreed (with a slight roll of her eyes) that they would allow me to define the cut points on the rail, which worked for me.  I know there are thousands of homes with nothing but drywall anchors supporting their closets, but I did my own math and didn't care for the margins. Drywall is not structural.

I think TCS does a 30% off sale 1x a year in the spring.  That's when we got ours.  If you are unsure about a certain option (e.g., belt/tie holders, trim, pull-out rods etc,) just get it if you're using a coupon.  You can always return it after you're done with the installation.  Speaking of which, it took me about 6 hours (2 nights after work) for 18' of typical floor-ceiling stuff.  That includes a lot of time just removing stuff from the packaging.  I forgot what they quoted to install it, but I recall thinking I payed myself a decent tax-free hourly rate.

The Container Store now also offering a higher end custom closet system call TCS Closets.

No idea how's the quality or the cost but it sure looks better than the Elfa system.
http://www.containerstore.com/tcsclosets/index.htm
http://www.houzz.com/projects/768563/tcs-closets

27fdd274f6f8266df489eccd16ccbc04.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
No closet in Irvine new builds has room for a chair and an ottoman.

These new homes feature huge closets now.

Depends what you mean by small.  Anyone who can fit 2 chairs and an ottoman in their closet would probably say my closet is small, and the Elfa was $3k for it, on sale.  The closets in my first house were 4' wide reach-ins.  $1000 would come close to decking out both of them.  Also depends largely on layout.  Drawers and shelves cost more than hanger bars.

Thanks everyone. I did look at TCS's fancy built-ins - they are very expensive. But very nice, I have to admit.

I prefer a wall-mount (floating, not sitting on the floor) system instead of floor-mount, especially since my closet is small. I'm now leaning towards something like Easy Closets or Martha Steward. They are wall-mounted , and with enclosed drawers. But I have to say, they are not cheaper than Cabinet Plus, and you have to install them yourself :(

I have a free-standing elfa unit, large or wide (the depth of the drawers is about the same as the width). I have found that a twin sheet is the perfect size to wrap around the back and two sides, to mitigate dust quite a bit. I hold them on with strong magnets. It looks good.

I'd like to attach a board to the front of each drawer to keep the dust from coming in. It could look nice, like the drawer fronts The Container Store sells for some elfa setups.

Attachments

• elfa_twin_sheet_25.png
    elfa_twin_sheet_25.png
    1 MB · Views: 232
Make sure you get a floor to ceiling stretch cabinet when you build your closet.  You may also want to pay extra for the floor below your closet.  It is all extra, but looks so much better.  Here is an example...

Looks built in!!! nice!

Walk-in-Wardrobe-Designs-White-Wardrobe-YJ0481615%20(1).jpg

Not as nice
ec_96.jpg__1074x1074_q95_subsampling-2.jpg

I paid $6,000 for my cabinet plus closet, and everyday when I go change my clothes, I get a boner.

Back