Backyard lighting (spot light and pathway lights)?

yoyo2012

What do people usually go with? My landscaper will install the lights. I provide the lights and transformer. I have the typical small Irvine backyard. I see a wide variety of spot lights and pathway lights online so not sure what to go with.

I bough Malibu LED lights from Home Depot and had my landscaper installed them. 

yoyo2012 said:
What do people usually go with? My landscaper will install the lights. I provide the lights and transformer. I have the typical small Irvine backyard. I see a wide variety of spot lights and pathway lights online so not sure what to go with.

Pictures. Printerest anh HOUZZ for ideas

Use path lights sparingly, where needed, and up-lights on things you want to feature: trees, pots, etc.

Don't buy a dozen solar path lights and line your front yard's ~10' path to the door. It's unlikely any path lighting is necessary here. There are many homes on my street with a path light every couple feet, and each light is leaning heavily. The lighting isn't necessary and the lights look messy.

Perspective said:
Use path lights sparingly, where needed, and up-lights on things you want to feature: trees, pots, etc.

Don't buy a dozen solar path lights and line your front yard's ~10' path to the door. It's unlikely any path lighting is necessary here. There are many homes on my street with a path light every couple feet, and each light is leaning heavily. The lighting isn't necessary and the lights look messy.

Your guess is good as mine. They want that Hollywood spot light feel?

yoyo2012 said:
lnc said:

You like them? Do they look cheap or well made? I like the price :)

I like the price too.  Actually those LED are pretty bright, works better than I expected.

I would spend a little more on good quality lighting.  We used solid brass uplights and they look a lot nicer than the black plastic stuff.  If most of the plants cover the physical light (like Inc's picture) then it probably doesn't matter.

My landscaper did say the internals of the malibu lights will go bad in 2-3 years but who knows.

aquabliss said:
I would spend a little more on good quality lighting.  We used solid brass uplights and they look a lot nicer than the black plastic stuff.  If most of the plants cover the physical light (like Inc's picture) then it probably doesn't matter.

My landscaper did say the internals of the malibu lights will go bad in 2-3 years but who knows.

Malibu lights are junk but easy to replace/fix. It's only 12V so pretty harmless to work with.

lnc said:
yoyo2012 said:
lnc said:

You like them? Do they look cheap or well made? I like the price :)

I like the price too.  Actually those LED are pretty bright, works better than I expected.

Why did you take down the pic of your backyard?

Back