GFI outlets not working in bathrooms

IrvineBS

Hey guys,

My GFI receptacles in all 3 bathrooms in the house don't work.

My master bath has a receptacles with"test" and "reset" buttons and the rest are standard receptacles with a GFI sticker

I've hit the test/reset button multiple times AND i've tried to flip the switches in the fuse box too. (Even the "test" button on the fuse box) and still no luck.

I was going to try and replace the main receptacle in my master bath to see if that fixed it, but not sure why the others don't work. The receptacles in the bathrooms aren't generally handcuffed to the main receptacle, right?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this helps, but my downstairs bath/bed GFI outlet is tied together with an outlet in my garage.  The outlet in the garage has the reset/test buttons.  It was hidden behind a bunch of crap when I moved in, had an electrician come over and all he did after locating that GFI outlet is press the reset button.  Voila

ps9 said:
Not sure if this helps, but my downstairs bath/bed GFI outlet is tied together with an outlet in my garage.  The outlet in the garage has the reset/test buttons.  It was hidden behind a bunch of crap when I moved in, had an electrician come over and all he did after locating that GFI outlet is press the reset button.  Voila

LOL yes.. happened to me too

Thanks to you both. I'll go hunting for additional GFI's when I get home.

What's weird is i have a GFI in my laundry room too and that works just fine. - but that maybe on a different grid

IrvineBS said:
Hey guys,

My GFI receptacles in all 3 bathrooms in the house don't work.

My master bath has a receptacles with"test" and "reset" buttons and the rest are standard receptacles with a GFI sticker

I've hit the test/reset button multiple times AND i've tried to flip the switches in the fuse box too. (Even the "test" button on the fuse box) and still no luck.

I was going to try and replace the main receptacle in my master bath to see if that fixed it, but not sure why the others don't work. The receptacles in the bathrooms aren't generally handcuffed to the main receptacle, right?

Thanks in advance.

Do they provide power? Maybe line and load are reversed if it's an older receptacle.

It's usually what ps9 said, there is another outlet on that same circuit that was tripped.

Find all your GFis and you should be able to fix it.

Our StanPac house has all sorts of funky wiring.  There are 4 GFCI outlets in the master bedroom closets.  *FOUR*.  Each seems to be the master to some portion of the house and resetting those always does the trick. 

Well I tried everything suggested. No luck.

My garage has 4 GFI outlets, each with a test and reset button and they are all active. I am able to see the green light AND push the test/reset buttons successfully. (see green light pic attached)

However, my master bathroom (whose receptacles i believe are connected to all 3 bathrooms) does NOT show that green light (see attached) NOR am I able to hit the test/reset button. Nothing happens when i push them both in. No clicks.

Could it just be I need to replace that receptacle?

Attachments

• master bath_GFI.jpg
    master bath_GFI.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 468
  • garage and laundry room gfi.jpg
    garage and laundry room gfi.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 476
Thanks for all your help. Turns out - I'm a moron.

I had another fuse box OUTSIDE my home that had a ton of other switches. I flipped my bathroom switch and viola! we have power!

Back