I have one... would you use it [firearm]

biscuitninja

SSsoooo, since the subject has been breached, what are your thoughs?

I know most people would argue that Irvine and by some extention the OC is a relatively safe place. But IMHO it seems we are seeing an influx of more violence as people get poorer and more despirate.

I have made my decision, but as our current Sheriff comes of LA area, it seems that most of the CCW people will not get renewed. We shall see.

Your thoughts?

Couldn't even imagine owning one. While my pepper spray provides me only itsy bitsy ounce of "I have some protection" I just don't think that even if I had a gun I could use it. I know some people would question me with "if your or your loved one's life depended on it, would you," but I just can't imagine being in that position. I can say with 100% certainty that if it were about protecting property, no way would I be able to do it. If it's that valuable it's insured, if it's not, well crap, stuff happens.

[quote author="tmare"]Hey, I live in Santa Ana and I'd never even consider having one. I'm with step. [/quote]

Where you live in SA doesn't count as SA <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

When I was in high school, I took a firearm to school more than once, because it was dove hunting season (go out at 5:30AM, pack up at 7:00AM, take whatever I shot to my aunts house, and head to class). Just about everyone with a pickup had a gunrack in the back window. 1988 seems like a million years ago. I don't have one in the house now, although I still own a couple of shotguns. I have insurance, if you want to rob me, come on over and knock.

What was the question.

[quote author="novaseline"]When I was in high school, I took a firearm to school more than once, because it was dove hunting season (go out at 5:30AM, pack up at 7:00AM, take whatever I shot to my aunts house, and head to class). Just about everyone with a pickup had a gunrack in the back window. 1988 seems like a million years ago. I don't have one in the house now, although I still own a couple of shotguns. I have insurance, if you want to rob me, come on over and knock.

What was the question.[/quote]

I took the question to be "If you had it, would you use it under the auspice that crime is up, i.e defending yourself, your loved ones and your property?"

[quote author="steppingup"]
[quote author="novaseline"]When I was in high school, I took a firearm to school more than once, because it was dove hunting season (go out at 5:30AM, pack up at 7:00AM, take whatever I shot to my aunts house, and head to class). Just about everyone with a pickup had a gunrack in the back window. 1988 seems like a million years ago. I don't have one in the house now, although I still own a couple of shotguns. I have insurance, if you want to rob me, come on over and knock.

What was the question.[/quote]

I took the question to be "If you had it, would you use it under the auspice that crime is up, i.e defending yourself, your loved ones and your property?"[/quote]

At one time, I had a Mossberg 12 gauge cut down to the legal limit with the plug removed. Five rounds of rock salt. I never used it. It is my opinion if somebody is really in your house, the last thing you want to do is shoot him/her, you want them to leave. Racking of a shotgun gets thier attention. If that doesn't work, dumping a round into the celing will make an awful mess. If that doesn't work....you're on your own.

I'm considering getting one of these. Isn't it cute!

sus3s.jpg

I'm not too worried about property.... as mentioned insurance is always there. I just don't want them harming me or my family.

I have become somewhat more vigiliant. A friend owns a Domino's Pizza, one of his delivery people was recently shot and killed. The perps were 15, 17 and 18. The 15 was the one who fired the pistol. Some think it was a gang initiation, they did NOT take any money or any of the food.

I Exhalt anyone who stick to their "guns", but cowering into a corner will not stop the bad guy. And yes, even avoiding not safe places in general goes a LONG way to not being placed in a bad situtation. I don't think of it as alot of people do. Its a tool and it has its use, just a very limited use. Because you never really know....

Winex!
You'll love that! The recoil is... uh... unpleasant. Plus I don't know if they are legal in CA. Being a SBS = Short Barreled Shot Gun.

It just happened today in Venice CA. I heard on the news. The story went something like this: The pregnant woman was being stabbed and raped. Then eventually killed along with her unborn twins. The landlord said he saw everything. The landlord was standing outside the victim's window. He shined his flashlight and banged on the window. He yelled at the criminal to stop. The criminal ignored the landlord and continued on with his assault of the victim.

After hearing this story on the news. I kept thinking to myself. Why didn't the landlord intervene? Could it be he's an elderly person and knew he couldn't stop the criminal? I kept thinking had the landlord have a firearm would the outcome be different?

The horrible thing that one human being can do to another. What a crazy world.

My boyfriend has a concealed weapons permit and various guns stashed around our house. I'm told that none are loaded, although I have assumed otherwise. Most are disassembled.

I hate having guns in my house for two reasons: (1) I wasn't raised with guns in the house and I don't have much experience handling guns, and (2) A kid I knew from an early age committed suicide with his father's gun in high school.

If/when I have kids, I think that I will become increasingly more uncomfortable with guns in the house.

Having said that, if a gun was in my hand and my life or the life of another was at risk due to an intruder or somebody committing a violent crime, I'm pretty sure I would use the gun.

[quote author="Sunshine"]My boyfriend has a concealed weapons permit and various guns stashed around our house. I'm told that none are loaded, although I have assumed otherwise. Most are disassembled.

I hate having guns in my house for two reasons: (1) I wasn't raised with guns in the house and I don't have much experience handling guns, and (2) A kid I knew from an early age committed suicide with his father's gun in high school.

If/when I have kids, I think that I will become increasingly more uncomfortable with guns in the house.

Having said that, if a gun was in my hand and my life or the life of another was at risk due to an intruder or somebody committing a violent crime, I'm pretty sure I would use the gun.[/quote]

I am not too comfortable around firearms, also. But like you stated, it sure would come in handy when the situation requires one.

[quote author="biscuitninja"]I'm not too worried about property.... as mentioned insurance is always there. I just don't want them harming me or my family. [/quote]

I'm not worried about the property. I'm worried about the post-shooting entanglements with law enforcement. Plus, if you dot that guy in your own home, you are responsible to clean it up.

Most break ins are related to robberies. Theves are looking for something to steal that is small and valuable. They usually aren't lookin' for a fight with some random person. Back home was a little different, but I feel perfectly safe in SoCal.

[quote author="Sunshine"]If/when I have kids, I think that I will become increasingly more uncomfortable with guns in the house.[/quote]

You just gotta get your kids trained up right. A buddy of mine's dad is a large animal vet. He has handguns all over the house. I mean ALL OVER. In the pantry, in the freezer, dresser drawer, behind the couch. I have no idea how many, but EZ access isn't a problem if you get in a pinch. And ammo? Like a pallet of 9mm shells. If the "big one" breaks out he's ready.

Fifteen years ago, he talked me into going out shooting with him. A couple of days later, his dad was all fired up "SON! Were you shooting my pistols again???"

Son - "Yeah."

Father - "Son, I've told you once, I've told you a million times. I don't mind you shooting them, but for chrissakes, put them back LOADED. What would of happened if I needed to use it and you put it back empty?"

Not exactly the response I was expecting, and likely not a good idea if you have children under the age of six around like ever.

[quote author="novaseline"]
[quote author="biscuitninja"]I'm not too worried about property.... as mentioned insurance is always there. I just don't want them harming me or my family. [/quote]

I'm not worried about the property. I'm worried about the post-shooting entanglements with law enforcement. Plus, if you dot that guy in your own home, you are responsible to clean it up.

Most break ins are related to robberies. Theves are looking for something to steal that is small and valuable. They usually aren't lookin' for a fight with some random person. Back home was a little different, but I feel perfectly safe in SoCal. [/quote]

I agree, but as mentioned, I can't tell a burgler from a wild raving murderer. I actually knew somebody back in college.... He was an english student/teacher. He kidnapped a pregnant woman, raped and tazed her and then stabbed her in the neck.... She luckily managed to get away (didn't bleed out as the guy expected).

He was eccentric, but i would have NEVER though he was a murderer..... you just never know.

-bix

[quote author="biscuitninja"] He was eccentric, but i would have NEVER though he was a murderer..... you just never know.

-bix[/quote]

Meh. Variance. I'm not gearing up for a 1-100,000 shot, but I certainly understand why somebody else might.

On a more sober reply to my earlier post....

Guns are less dangerous than automobiles. If I am not mistaken there are MORE guns than automobiles in the country, yet we don't stop driving. Responsible gun ownership is all in training and practice. These gap-toothed, sloped forhead neanderthals who leave their Glocks lying around for their spawn to play with are simply examples of darwinian evolution. Sad? Not in my book. Stupid, absolutely. I'm all for locking up bad parents (am I in the right forum...?) who don't take ownership seriously.

If you have never fired a weapon, go down to one of the local ranges and take a lesson. Most people will be surprised how great the difference is between TV gun use, and firing a hand cannon in a protected environment. These are loud, powerful tools that require knowledge and respect before you even think of owning one.

There is a range in South OC - On Target - that is usually for handguns. There's another range just off of the Pomona Expressway that allows you to fire rifles and shotguns. I think once you've tried out a weapon, you'll either purchase, or put off owning. If you purchase, you need to become a responsible owner - taking additional classes, letting anyone living in the home know where it is and what it does.

I'll be taking my kids to On Target shortly so they can get a first hand look at what guns are, not what they appear to be, so that a healthy respect for weapons can start to grow.

Back