Sexual Battery & Kidnapping Attempt at Irvine Spectrum

socal78

Watch your back. A woman was sexually attacked and nearly kidnapped yesterday in the parking garage at the Irvine Spectrum. This happened in broad daylight.

"Man arrested in kidnap attempt, sexual battery at Irvine Spectrum"

obbj2m-b88768391z.120160802222357000g8ji1a4o.10.jpg

This 25 year old man was arrested hours later in Lake Elsinore.

Those on social media and those with children and friends who work at the Spectrum had already heard the warnings for weeks that a suspicious man was on the prowl. Employees had been walking to their cars together in groups after clocking out. Here is one such warning posted days ago:

2vkm5jb.jpg

And I was actually at the Spectrum the day before this happened. It was around lunch time so it was crowded. I intentionally drove past the available parking garage and took the extra time to search for a space in the crowded parking lot. I never feel safe in parking garages ever since I witnessed a woman being aggressively confronted by a couple men in the parking garage at the Brea Mall a long time ago. Of course, these attacks could still happen in the parking lot but I still avoid the parking garage at all costs. I will either wait extra time for the lot or do valet at the Spectrum. Also, always have your car keys out and ready as you walk to your car. I also carry pepper spray among some other things.

Not only parking garages. I'll never forget the time I was at Albertsons on Culver/Irvine Blvd. I was in the checkout lane behind my shopping cart and the guy in front of me dropped something on the floor. HE bumped INTO my cart when he went to pick it up but he thought I bumped him. I didn't even move the cart but he gave me the evil eye. The look he gave me just scared me. When he was done checking out, he waited for me to finish checking out, staring at me the entire time. Just as I was ready to exit the line, he left in front of me. I thought that was the end of it, but nope......... he ended up behind me. Luckily I had only a couple bags of groceries and threw them in the car and got going. He got in his car and was right behind me but thankfully I decided to turn left onto Culver behind CVS and he couldn't make the same turn due to oncoming traffic.

I still remember how frightened I was of that guy.

How ironic that was at the store where the infamous Samurai sword attack took place. That murderer was my bag boy. Yep, there are so many creepy, unstable guys out there. I've been followed in the car, handcuffed by a weirdo, had a Peeping Tom / night stalker, etc. Now that I work alone in a building until 11 p.m. I'm looking into better, much more effective ways to defend myself. I can't count on the security patrolman. Even he doesn't have a single weapon... AND he's a creep.

My wife carries a stun gun and pepper spray on our walks for coyotes, but may need to pack on shopping trips too.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
I've been followed in the car, handcuffed by a weirdo
Wait, what?

had a Peeping Tom / night stalker, etc.
qwerty?

Being followed & being cuffed were separate incidents but yeah. Maybe I should clarify he was not a police officer and I am no criminal. He was just a "Rent-A-Cop" / night patrolman for a private security company who also took college classes with me during the day at IVC. He wanted me to spend time with him outside of class. We were not friends or anything. I always dodged him. He would tell me (not ask) to meet him on campus at a certain time & place to have lunch or whatever. The kicker -- He was a married man!! :eek: I was also engaged to Mr. SoCal. Of course, I never did what he said. I wouldn't do that if I thought the other person had the wrong expectations. He was a good looking guy & I think he knew it. Definitely arrogant. Probably not used to someone saying no to him. He got frustrated. So one day I guess he had enough. He took out his handcuffs from his night job. He locked the cuffs on me on campus and told me to wait in that spot for him and don't move until he got back. I don't think he really meant to hurt me. After all, it was in public and broad daylight. Just really out of line. But who knows, maybe he did have other girls hidden in his basement.

TL;DR - Creepy married guy used handcuffs to force a date.
-----

The Peeping Tom was at an apartment complex in Tustin -- so, it was probably Qwerty!  :p

I could tell a lot of stories. There are just toooo many weird guys. I'm sure most females would say the same thing.

Ready2Downsize's story really made me think. Why would a person follow a person like that if they do not know them and are joking? That is extremely, extremely weird and is just something that should not be done, unless you are the CIA. Even with the CIA, you would not know you were being followed, unless you caught them.

All jokes aside, if problems like that are happening in a parking lot, either go in broad daylight in crowded areas and with others; why leave alone and risk being caught?

Yeah, not really worth it to get a CCW due to the wait, the cost, and I hear the pass rate is only about 60%, hmm, or is that 60% declined. I'm thinking about going in a different direction. My security guard at work has been giving me tips on circumnavigating it by going under the CA firearms transportation laws. When outside of your home, carrying a gun in a bag locked is the best way to carry legally. I hear Second Call Defense is good insurance for when you use a gun for self-defense. You put them on retainer and they can have you out of jail in 2 hours. Also, we should always carry: a spring-assisted knife and have a glass breaker, some Sabre pepper spray, a flashlight of 200 Lumins or more, and a tactical pen.

I think a 6 month wait is not bad, because it is not like you are going to be spending your time just waiting. I assume you just fill in your application and wait for an interview. In 6 months, you will be 6 months older anyways, so you may as well wait if you want it. If you fail, you take it again. If you decide not to apply, there is a 100% chance of not getting a firearm, so you may as well take the shot (pun intended).

Just staying protected is necessary nowadays. When people say not to carry a weapon, what happens when some person threatens someone you care about? Let them die?

Different arguments for different people.

Back