water softener buy unit and have it installed?

yoyo2012

Anyone here bought their own unit and had a plumber install it? I'm considering doing that. Home depot sells cheap GE units (450-700) but Fleck 5600xt seems more highly recommended although. Was wondering if people here had experience or recommendations for some units other than the more expensive options of Kinetico or Culligan.

I bought the GE water softener and had a plumber install it.  Total cost was about 1000.00 for the unit and installation.  I got the 43,000 grain unit from the GE employee discount site for about half the price of what Home Depot was charging.  Check if your company participates, since the participant code provided in previous threads seems to have expired.  You can also buy the Fleck unit online if you want. 

Never had a water softener before, so can't compare between different brands, but I can say that water spots have greatly reduced vs. not having a softener, and my skin is not as dry and itchy.  Since my plumber did not hook up the softener to not soften water in the backyard, I use potassium chloride pellets so i don't kill my plants.  KCL pellets is about 25.00 for 40 lbs, vs. sodium pellets which are 6.00 for 40 lbs.  I put in about 80 lbs of KCL pellets every 3 to 4 months.

Typically, the water pipe for yard/sprinkler system is diverted from the main before the house.  You would connect the water softener system to the pipe after the yard/sprinkler system diversion.

The inexpensive plastic units at Lowes are for indoor installation.  If you install it outdoors it will work but the exposure will shorten the unit's life.  Buy a small BBQ/Grill cover for the top.

I have found a company that sells Fleck 5600xt (which would cost about 650 online + assembly cost of about 100) installed for 1395 with 3 year warranty. It's Pat's water/radiant water. Only 1 yelp reviews but lots of reviews on homeadvisor.http://www.homeadvisor.com/rated.PatsWaterInc.13427184.html

most plumbers I've talked to want 600-1000 to install the unit.

From my research online, Fleck seems to be a better unit than the GE one.

Back