Olympics

irvinehusky

Anybody interested in the Olympics?  Who are you cheering for?

Since I casually swim now, I'm looking forward to the swimming, although other than Katie Ledecky, there's no sure wins.  And as always the shorter distance sprints in track.  Is Bolt going to show up and if he does, will he be 100%?

Any predictions for new stars of this Olympics?  Any Janet Evans, Nadia Comanecis, new Michael Phelps?

They probably should due to safety concerns like listed below.

Hope no incidents like in 1972.  Guess they don't have enough money for the security?  Do they think they're hosting the Olympics in Irvine?  :p

irvinehomeowner said:
Aren't they going to cancel the Olympics?

:)

It's interesting that some sports take longer to mature, like track but you have 14 and 15 year old phenoms in swimming.  In swimming long and lean is better, usually a teenager's build.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/teen-spirit-16-year-old-mclaughlin-earns-spot-to-rio/ar-BBu9Y2I?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

EUGENE, Ore. ? Fast fact: Teenager Sydney McLaughlin can juggle on a unicycle.

That's nothing compared to this: The 16-year-old is headed to Rio, and will be the youngest to compete for the U.S. Olympic track team since 1972, according to USA Track and Field.

And to think, the 400-meter hurdles phenom had a panic attack before the start of the trials. She thought the stage might be a tad too big for her.

It wasn't. McLaughlin, a soon-to-be senior at Union Catholic in Scotch Plains, New Jersey, finished third on Sunday, behind winner Dalilah Muhammad and Ashley Spencer.

"Sometimes, I just forget that I'm 16," said McLaughlin, who learned to juggle in fifth grade and has worked with kids at a juggling camp. "There's not as much expectation. You know, I don't get paid for this. I'm here just for fun."

Once she got to work, she certainly had a ball. She planned to celebrate by going out for dinner. On her menu -- a cheeseburger, maybe some sweet potato fries, and possibly topped off with a slice of cheesecake.

"I want be like her when I grow up," the 23-year-old Spencer said. "At 16 years old, I wasn't doing anything. I was running track, but it was like, meh? She's an Olympian."

It has always taken a bit of coaxing to get McLaughlin to the starting line -- both as a kid, when her father bribed her with a chocolate bar with almonds to keep her running at 6, and just before the trials.

But her high school coach, Mike McCabe, has a counseling degree that he put to good use. He told her it was only nerves and everyone gets them.

"I think it was more self-doubt," he explained. "It was the big stage, `I don't know if I can do this, I don't know if I belong here.'

"We shared with her that everybody has this. It's not just her because she's so young. The elites have it, and they've been doing it for years."

The pep talk hit the mark. Although, the world and American junior record holder isn't exactly used to trailing like this. She finished in a world junior-record time of 54.15 seconds, which was still 1.27 behind Muhammad. She also was able to hold off fourth-place finisher Kori Carter.

"She's a beast," Carter said. "She's the truth. I was in every single heat with her and she carries herself like a pro. I know she's going to represent the U.S. amazingly."

McLaughlin grew up idolizing Allyson Felix, who finished fourth in the 200 meters and missed out on making the U.S. squad in the event. But that's why McLaughlin appreciates Felix -- those kinds of setbacks don't get her down. Felix still has the 400, an event she won last weekend, and will focus on that.

"You realize that sometimes you have to lose in order to get better," said McLaughlin, who still plans to compete at world juniors later this month in Poland. "That's a big thing."

McLaughlin, who turns 17 on Aug. 7, tried to find humor in just about everything. After winning her heat in the semifinals during a steady drizzle, she said, "The rain messed up my hair, but that's OK."

Just Sydney being Sydney.

"She's super-consistent as a racer," McCabe said. "You don't see many bad days. You come to a meet like this and you have to be on at the right time. She doesn't take herself too seriously. Running isn't her life. Running chose her. She just happens to be real good at it."

irvinehusky said:
Anybody interested in the Olympics?  Who are you cheering for?

I'm cheering for any utter chaos that exposes the corruption running rampant in the IOC...as long as it doesn't come at the expense of innocent bystanders. 

Watched some swimming (#PhelpsFace) and saw the end of the women's team gymnastics gold performance (they killed it so not much drama).

I was rooting for the men's fencing kid who came back to get into the gold final but lost.

Women's rugby looks rough... seems like they should be wearing helmets and pads.

Ladecky is a robot.

Pyeongchang restaurants still serving dog meat during Olympics despite officials ordering them to stop
Despite orders from the government, nearly all restaurants serving dog meat in South Korea?s Pyeongchang County, where the Winter Olympics are being held starting Friday, will continue to sell the controversial dish.

Of the 12 restaurants serving dog meat dishes in the area, only two have complied with local authorities, who offered them subsidies in exchange for taking the item off the menu during the games, Channel News Asia reports.

Eating dog meat is both a common and legal practice in Korea and many parts of Asia, though many activists are fighting to ban consumption of the greasy red meat. In addition, there are reportedly thousands of restaurants serving ?gaegogi? dishes around the country ? the delicacy is eaten mostly by older people and is believed to have strengthening and medicinal properties, USA Today reports
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...-despite-officials-ordering-them-to-stop.html

1518112103851.jpg

The mental picture of it is disgusting even just reading about it, but on the other hand - would the gov't really expect Mastro's and Ruth's Chris to really stop serving steak because Indian athletes will be coming to town for Olympics in Los Angeles?  Same idea really.

Back