Clinical Trials

socal78

Has anyone here ever participated in a clinical trial / clinical research study? I've always been kind of curious. I obviously wouldn't want to do anything harmful to myself. But it would be fun learning about the process and potentially helping to find a solution out there that could help a lot of people. Well, I recently saw one on Craigslist the other day and called today to see about participating. However, I kind of chickened out while I was on the phone with the guy. I panicked. And then I pretended like we had a bad connection on the phone so I had an excuse to hang up.

I have helped to set up clinical trials during my research days. It's quite the cumbersome process. Just going through IRB approval is a headache in itself. But these clinical trials are essential to drive innovation in medicine. And we have many patients joining them in the field of oncology where we no longer have "main stream" treatment that would work for them and they have no where else to turn.
If you qualify for a clinical trial you should definitely try it. Consider it a Good Samaritan service you are providing for others. Some clinical trials can also provide some compensation.  But make sure it's a clinical trial associated with a respectable university or has a reputable PI.

Thanks for the head's up, Paris. I'm unsure how to determine if this particular clinical research study is associated with a respectable university or has a reputable P.I. as it is a foreign company, based in Ontario, Canada.

Back