Questions for parents of high schoolers re: PE classes

abcd1234

I am going to have a high-schooler next year and I recently went to the parent/student orientation.  I am totally confused about PE/sports.

In middle school, I know of students who leave school early because of gymnastics or swimming because they are nationally ranked. 

Is this the case for high school as well? 
If my kid was really good (what constitutes nationally ranked, I am not sure), could they skip PE like I see others do in middle school so they could attend their private club training that can easily be 2-3 hours?

I don't understand why PE is considered so horrible.  Everyone is telling me that I have to have my kid do a sport in the fall (her sport is swimming in the Spring).  To me, it's just too much emphasis on sports.  My daughter is a club swimmer and does plenty of hours of swimming and could easily make a JV team.  I just think doing swimming (year-round club) plus doing something like cross-country in the fall is too much. 

I think the easy answer is for her to join the JV/varsity swim team.

My son plays club hockey but since the school does not have an official hockey team (although he represents the school in the high school hockey league), he decided to join the school's track & field team to avoid PE.

Your daughter is in a better position as I'm assuming there is an established school swim team already which means she does not have to pick up another sport to skip PE.

Good luck on your daughter's swimming career and may she have a good high school life.

The answer should be whatever your daughter wants to do. If she wants to do more sports, then let her do that. If she wants to take some time off, then let her do that. As long as she is doing something productive, should be enough.

Thanks for your replies RideMBC and B2Finity.

She wants to swim with the school team but since it's a spring sport and she'll be a freshman, I got the impression that since the tryouts aren't until the spring- she has to do PE in the fall.  I was hoping to get her off the hook on PE during the fall and winter and she swims with the club during those time (off season training) and then swim with the school in the spring.  Is that possible?

Track & Field is a spring sport (currently in season) but I'm pretty sure my son did not have to do PE during Fall semester when T&F was not in season. I suggest talking to her counselor to make sure.

abcd1234 said:
Thanks for your replies RideMBC and B2Finity.

She wants to swim with the school team but since it's a spring sport and she'll be a freshman, I got the impression that since the tryouts aren't until the spring- she has to do PE in the fall.  I was hoping to get her off the hook on PE during the fall and winter and she swims with the club during those time (off season training) and then swim with the school in the spring.  Is that possible?

Did you ever consider to call the school district office?

Of course I am going to call the school. But the parents/kids are not allowed to contact coaches until some time in May.  I just wanted feedback or experiences from parents.  Do you have a kid entering high school?

abcd1234 said:
Of course I am going to call the school. But the parents/kids are not allowed to contact coaches until some time in May.  I just wanted feedback or experiences from parents.  Do you have a kid entering high school?

You don't have to talk to the coach, some one from the district office should know.

^ that link is for students who are seeking exemption from PE by earning credits outside the school. If I understand correctly, the OP was asking if his/her daughter can avoid PE by competing for the school on her preferred discipline during Spring sem only

@abcd1234, I asked my son and he confirmed that doing T&F for 4 years during the spring has earned him enough credits to skip PE classes

rideBMC said:
^ that link is for students who are seeking exemption from PE by earning credits outside the school. If I understand correctly, the OP was asking if his/her daughter can avoid PE by competing for the school on her preferred discipline during Spring sem only

@abcd1234, I asked my son and he confirmed that doing T&F for 4 years during the spring has earned him enough credits to skip PE classes
May be the OP question is this:

To be able to do swimming in Spring semester the student has to block out a period for PE (Assuming there are no one semester subjects in the freshman year) hence the student has to do PE during Fall Semester.  Rather than doing PE at school during Fall semester, during that time the OP wants the child to improve the skills outside, so they can become super competitive in Spring Semester.  Will the school allow the child to skip a period in Fall to get that competitive edge outside of school?

Talk to the swim coach now especially if they teach on campus. There is no violation of CIF rules for a JV athlete. Typically the only rule concern is attending a school outside of your address. Most swim coaches have some involvement with the water polo team and perhaps your student could swim as a part of preseason training while the other athletes practice and lift.

Back