Neighbor's high school kid and friends come over and smoke pot when parent gone

What would you do?

• Total voters

irvinemonkey

As a parent of 2 young children (4 and 1 years old) I have conflicting thoughts about what to do in this situation. My neighbors behind us has a kid in high school. Every so often the parents leave town for a couple days and the kid stays home alone. The reason I know this is because the kid has the about 5 friends over and they smoke pot in the backyard and hang out there for hours in the evening.

This does not bother me as I think kids will be kids but my 4 year old's bedroom is closest to the back yard and we leave the windows open sometimes at night. The pot smell comes into his window at night which is concerning.

I know it's as easy as closing the window and minding my own business,  but I'm curios as to how other parents view this situation and how you would handle this.

Thanks in advance!

I would say, go talk to the parents but they probably won't do nothing and the kids or the kids friend might key your car.

So I would just say, take pictures or videos with your cell phone, and call the Police.

Just close the window like you said. They are enjoying their backyard. Unless the kids are being overly loud/rude there isn't much for you to complain about. Pot will become legal everywhere in the near future.

qwerty said:
Just close the window like you said. They are enjoying their backyard. Unless the kids are being overly loud/rude there isn't much for you to complain about. Pot will become legal everywhere in the near future.

But it's not legal now, and certainly not for a teenager (I'm assuming under 18 here).

This is a tough one but if you knew your neighbor or neighbor's kids were doing something illegal (or even something you don't agree with), shouldn't you report it?

Here is one that might hit closer to home for you:

They keep their dog tied up in the backyard for days/weeks. It's not making any noise, but you can see the poor thing tied up every day you look out your window.

Would you call Animal Control?

@IHO - that's not an apples to apples comparison. The dog scenario is bordering on cruelty. The kids smoking pot are not hurting anyone.

My old nanny actually called animal control in a situation you described and they came to pick up the dog.

qwerty said:
@IHO - that's not an apples to apples comparison. The dog scenario is bordering on cruelty. The kids smoking pot are not hurting anyone.

It can be argued that MJ use is harmful to the teenagers.

Additionally, in order to acquire it, you may be exposing those teens to elements that may not be the best of people to associate with.

And as the OP said, it exposes his/her young children to 2nd hand pot smoke.

Just because you don't think kids smoking pot hurts anyone, does not make it true. I'm sure the owners your nanny called Animal Control on didn't think they were hurting anyone either.

Buy your neighbor kids THC vaporizers so there will be no smoke.  Qwerty can tell you where to get them. 

snoop dogg to the rescue
http://www.amazon.com/Snoop-Dogg-Bush-Slim-G-slim/dp/B01D0S5X5U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460484065&sr=8-2&keywords=vape

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

It can be argued that MJ use is harmful to the teenagers.

Additionally, in order to acquire it, you may be exposing those teens to elements that may not be the best of people to associate with.

And as the OP said, it exposes his/her young children to 2nd hand pot smoke.

Just because you don't think kids smoking pot hurts anyone, does not make it true. I'm sure the owners your nanny called Animal Control on didn't think they were hurting anyone either.

The kids are essentially adults making their own decisions. The dog didn't decide to tie itself up. Not apples to apples.

Not sure why you wouldn't call the police.  You're very tolerant, I couldn't stand this type of thing. 

You shouldn't have to be worried about your 4 year old getting a 2nd hand high just because you want to cool his room down at night (which is perfectly reasonable). 

If you tell the parents first then you call the police later, they'll know it's you.  If you call the police first, it could easily be their neighbor on either side, or diagonal from them. 

Also I'm pretty sure those kids are driving to Taco Bell for munchies while they're high which isn't safe either.  Sorry qwerty, no offense.

tough call really.. I think I would tolerate it.. Mrs. Money would call the cops if it happened frequently.  If they were loud.. it would seal the deal. 

qwerty said:
I highly doubt he kid is getting high from second hand smoke. By the time the smoke gets into the room there is probably a faint smell but I can't imagine he would get high.

Just did a quick search. Seems like in this situation the kid would not get high.
http://m.livescience.com/50880-secondhand-marijuana-smoke-effects-drug-test.html

What if they were smoking cigarettes? Would you call the cops then?

Ok so the kid wouldn't really get high but a 4 year old breathing in diluted pot smoke is not OK.  Before I had kids I would probably brush it off but now I'm overprotective and I don't take any chances with my kids.  Except potentially living on toxic land but let's not get off topic here.

If they were smoking cigarettes I would not call the cops since a lot of 15 year olds look 18 and vice versa, so I couldn't be sure they were taking part in illegal activities.

aquabliss said:
qwerty said:
I highly doubt he kid is getting high from second hand smoke. By the time the smoke gets into the room there is probably a faint smell but I can't imagine he would get high.

Just did a quick search. Seems like in this situation the kid would not get high.
http://m.livescience.com/50880-secondhand-marijuana-smoke-effects-drug-test.html

What if they were smoking cigarettes? Would you call the cops then?

Ok so the kid wouldn't really get high but a 4 year old breathing in diluted pot smoke is not OK.  Before I had kids I would probably brush it off but now I'm overprotective and I don't take any chances with my kids. 

I agree.

Back