Aldi opens 3 stores April 21: Discount grocer to open at least 12 more in OC

I read this earlier today from Fast Food Maven. I'm trying to understand the appeal of Aldi but I just don't get it. Never been in one. People going nuts over generic brands. Hmmm.

SoCal said:
I read this earlier today from Fast Food Maven. I'm trying to understand the appeal of Aldi but I just don't get it. Never been in one. People going nuts over generic brands. Hmmm.

Well, people at Trader Joe's seem to go nuts over generic brands.

Is Aldi an organic or gourmet grocer similar to Trader Joe's? The way the article is written, Aldi is portrayed like one giant Kmart blue light special complete with "dog kennels". What's next -- motor oil? It seems like they're trying to emulate Costco by serving up merchandise in shipping containers. However, even Costco has a butcher and a baker and a candlestick maker, which Aldi does not. Okay, maybe just the baker. Aldi customers also have to be their own bag boy. They will offer a "large assortment of Hispanic products" for the "large Hispanic community". I guess that's who they consider their target demographic to be, then.

SoCal said:
Is Aldi an organic or gourmet grocer similar to Trader Joe's? The way the article is written, Aldi is portrayed like one giant Kmart blue light special complete with "dog kennels". What's next -- motor oil? It seems like they're trying to emulate Costco by serving up merchandise in shipping containers. However, even Costco has a butcher and a baker and a candlestick maker, which Aldi does not. Okay, maybe just the baker. Aldi customers also have to be their own bag boy. They will offer a "large assortment of Hispanic products" for the "large Hispanic community". I guess that's who they consider their target demographic to be, then.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/joe-711200-aldi-trader.html

Visited one back East last year. Unless things have since been upgraded from it's Dollar Store feel, prepare to be disappointed.

My .02c

SGIP

Coming April 21

Orange County
? Anaheim: 275 S. Euclid St.
? Buena Park: 8351 La Palma Ave.
? Fountain Valley: 17070 Magnolia St.
Southern California
? Arcadia: 1403 S. Baldwin Ave.
? Cerritos: 11530 South St.
? Covina: 1400 N. Azusa Ave.
? Inglewood: 3330 W. Century Blvd.
? La Verne: 2268 Foothill Blvd.
? Palmdale: 740 W. Rancho Vista Blvd.
? San Bernardino: 4020 Highland Ave.

Already open

? Beaumont: 1638 East 2nd St.
? Fontana: 15080 Summit Ave.
? La Quinta: 78-601 Highway 111
? Lake Elsinore: 18289 Collier Ave.
? Moreno Valley: 12630 Day St.
? Palm Springs: 5200 Ramon Road
? San Bernardino: 625 E. Hospitality Lane
? Yucaipa: 34000 Yucaipa Blvd.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Visited one back East last year. Unless things have since been upgraded from it's Dollar Store feel, prepare to be disappointed.

My .02c

SGIP

Ahhh so basically like Stater Bros?  Or worse?

USCTrojanCPA said:
Soylent Green Is People said:

My .02c

SGIP

Ahhh so basically like Stater Bros?  Or worse?

I'm not SGIP but after reading their statement in the paper and looking at their list of locations, it looks like they will be catering almost entirely to hispanics.  Instead of Aldi's, they should've just called it Alfonso's or something.

Back