Standard carpet - irvine pacific homes

yoyo2012

How bad is it? From our design center visit, it looks pretty terrible. But I've lived in a bunch of Irvine apartments and the carpets they put in their rental doesn't seem that bad.

We're buying Helena in Eastwood (3 bedroom townhome). We're planning on doing engineered hardwood on first floor (maybe laminate but currently leaning towards engineered hardwood). Upstairs, we were initially thinking of just keeping the standard carpet but it does look pretty crappy. But I can't think they would put crappier carpet in the homes than their apartments...

Not sure, had it ripped out instantly for engineered hardwood throughout the house before we moved in.

They are livable but those carpet are really thin, you can actually feel the nail on the tack strip at the edge of the carpet. 

On my very first home, I actually opt for the standard carpet and used it for few years until my kids was older and than replace it with some real carpet.  If you have young toddlers, you know what I'm talking about.  Very young children just don't go well with nice, expensive new carpet.  But like j$ said, at least upgrade the padding if you want to keep the standard carpet. 

My friend has had it for 4 years and I went to his house recently it's still holding up, but it is pretty thin.  Just get a 1 or 2 level carpet upgrade only in your upstairs probably about $2k and a lot of time as soon as you upgrade the carpet they give you a thicker pad.

Anybody go though a carpet change?  How hard was it to move out the king bed out of the way?

yoyo2012 said:
Thanks for the advises. Is it actually possible to upgrade the padding alone?

It used to be yes, but not sure the current policy.  However if you price this out, also price out an upgraded carpet and see if they include a better pad.  Might not be much more $.

We can just upgrade the padding which is $320. The lowest level upgrade of the carpet is 2400. So I think we will just upgrade the padding for now and see how it goes. If it the carpet is really crappy after a year or 2, we'll decide what kind of flooring we want to do (either new carpet or wood or laminate)

lnc said:
They are livable but those carpet are really thin, you can actually feel the nail on the tack strip at the edge of the carpet. 

On my very first home, I actually opt for the standard carpet and used it for few years until my kids was older and than replace it with some real carpet.  If you have young toddlers, you know what I'm talking about.  Very young children just don't go well with nice, expensive new carpet.  But like j$ said, at least upgrade the padding if you want to keep the standard carpet.

We went with standard flooring in our current new home.  Ours is 6 months right now and I know "accidents" will happen when potty training, falling will happen when learning to walk...the standard carpet for RAH has been fine and the tiling doesn't look that bad.  I hope it holds up for 4-5 years since we don't want to change to hardwood floors until #2 knows how to walk well too, and we haven't decided when we want #2 yet. 

If we didn't have kids, I would have ripped out the downstairs flooring before we moved in.

jmoney74 said:
Anybody go though a carpet change?  How hard was it to move out the king bed out of the way?

I haven't done it myself, but my work friend did, and he said the carpet company moved all their furniture/stuff for them as part of the installation. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal and takes the headache out of the replacement process! I got the standard carpet upstairs and intend to let my little kids have their way with it and plan to replace with nicer stuff  in about 3-5 years when they're older.

jmoney74 said:

Its almost like moving.  Worker will move the furniture to one part of the house, do the carpet, than move them back. The king bed probably need to be disassemble just like when you were moving. 

The worst part is the dust created when ripped out the old carpet.  It took one whole day to change the carpet but we spent the next two day doing laundry and wipe down the entire house. 

lnc said:
jmoney74 said:

Its almost like moving.  Worker will move the furniture to one part of the house, do the carpet, than move them back. The king bed probably need to be disassemble just like when you were moving. 

The worst part is the dust created when ripped out the old carpet.  It took one whole day to change the carpet but we spent the next two day doing laundry and wipe down the entire house.
It is this reason why I think in my next place, when I put in flooring, I'm just doing wood throughout (with exception of the bathrooms).  That said, I initially plan to do the basic approach (with possible exception to the bathrooms) as I have two young kids and know they will beat it up, so why not go with standard for a bit and than put in the nicer stuff. 

just do wood tile throughout, then you can keep it consistent in the bathrooms.  I hate the wood -> tile transitions, but that's just me.

Was considering wood tile till one day I was walking thru Home Depot I noticed a nice white eyesore chip on one of the samples.

Tile is colder and harder on the feet too.

The only tile that looked like wood I ever saw that I liked when touring one of the tile / wood showrooms (not a builder) when I was looking for wood for my current place and exploring the wood tile option, I asked them how much it was and the cost was so exorbitant that I could have put in wood, had a flood, and put in brand new wood again and still came out better on the deal.  It was something absurd like 40 bucks a foot at wholesale costs. 

Bullsback said:
I hate wood tile.  Hate. 

You must not have kids.  Seeing them throw their big metal toys on a hardwood floor is enough to give any homeowner a heart attack.  Chips and dents in dark wood flooring is way more evident than in tile (which is very rare to chip after installed).

I think you can get the wood flooring that has the dark color through and through but it's crazy expensive.  At least the ones I've seen.

Back