Author Topic: Tesla Model 3  (Read 89522 times)

Offline qwerty

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2416
  • -Received: 1525
Re: Tesla Model 3
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
A 35k electric car will bankrupt tesla.

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Given: 45
  • -Received: 162
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »
I've yet to see the X on the road considering I pass by the supercharging station in Costa Mesa (just the street it's on, not the lot since I don't have a tesla) somewhat frequently, see tons and tons of S, and interestingly, no roadster either.

Should be a big hit, just need to ramp up production to meet demand.  Oil prices should rise by then, fueling the demand for electrics.
Firsts for me...
First time I quoted myself, lol
And first time seeing an X today, someone just drove a dark red into WB, neato

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 299
  • -Received: 559
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 03:31:13 PM »

Chevy bolt?

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 572
  • -Received: 474
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 03:40:00 PM »

Why?  The idea is that Tesla's battery factories will be up and running thus dramatically reducing the cost of production.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »
GM has other cars that are its bread and butter.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »

Why?  The idea is that Tesla's battery factories will be up and running thus dramatically reducing the cost of production.

Their gigafactory is behind schedule, my guess is they will underestimate the time and costs it takes to finish it. It doesn't appear that the factory will have enough capacity for all the cheap batteries you speak of.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »

Their gigafactory is behind schedule, my guess is they will underestimate the time and costs it takes to finish it. It doesn't appear that the factory will have enough capacity for all the cheap batteries you speak of.

Clearly the production of Tesla will be contingent on the factories opening up...therefore the 2017 anticipated date.  No reason that they can't push back that date

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:00:33 PM by Irvinecommuter »

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 03:59:53 PM »

Clearly the production of Tesla will be contingent on the factories opening up...therefore the 2017 anticipated date.  No reason that they can't push back that date.

Why would things get delayed? Probably cause hey don't know what the fuck they are doing and blowing cost estimates. And they won't be able to produce a 35k mass produced car without losing money.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 04:00:58 PM »

Clearly the production of Tesla will be contingent on the factories opening up...therefore the 2017 anticipated date.  No reason that they can't push back that date.

Why would things get delayed? Probably cause hey don't know what the fuck they are doing and blowing cost estimates. And they won't be able to produce a 35k mass produced car without losing money.

Using the “most cases” reference from JB Straubel, that would most likely mean that the standard 85 kW version Model S would be a safe bet to have battery costs at “less than a quarter” – that translates to a total maximum cost of about $20,250 or $238/kWh.  Pretty cheap.

So how much would it cost to power a smaller, 200 mile entry level EV from Tesla?  We estimate it could be achieved from around 50kWh seeing how the 60 kWh version of the Model S is rated at 208 miles by the EPA. The third generation Tesla will be a much smaller, lighter and we assume more aerodynamic proposition.

50 kWh of lithium power would only translate to a maximum of $11,900 in costs…still plenty of room to still build out the rest of the car.

http://insideevs.com/tesla-battery-in-the-model-s-costs-less-than-a-quarter-of-the-car-in-most-cases/

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »
Ok. We will just have to see. Actions speak louder than words. If things were so rosy they wouldn't be so far behind schedule

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 04:17:50 PM »
Ok. We will just have to see. Actions speak louder than words. If things were so rosy they wouldn't be so far behind schedule

Well...if they do make it...the kinks would have been worked out.

Also, all the articles I have read is that the factory is on/ahead of schedule and already producing batteries.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/11/04/tesla-gigafactory-ahead-of-schedule-production-beginning-in-q4/

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »

Chevy bolt, I'm telling you

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »
What about the Chevy bolt?

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2047
  • -Received: 3502
  • 3CWG
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »
I still think plug-in longer range hybrids are where it's at.

EV most of your local driving, hybrid when you need the range.

The Tesla 3 will probably look much nicer than the Chevy Bolt EV.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Yesterday at 09:20:53 PM]