Adya: Modern Indian street food coming to center near UC Irvine

WTTCHMN

Adya: Modern Indian street food coming to center near UC Irvine

The revolving door of new restaurants at University Center near UC Irvine continues.

Adya, a fast-casual eatery with a menu of modern Indian street food, is opening a second location at the Irvine Co.-owned center. The flagship Adya location opened in 2014 at the popular Anaheim Packing House food hall.

Chef-owner Shachi Mehra serves contemporary interpretations of Indian street foods, tandoori plates and fresh-made curries. For 2014, Register restaurant critic Brad A. Johnson named Adya one of the top 10 best new restaurants to open in Orange County. He called the yogurt-marinated chicken ?tender? and ?luscious.?

Mehra said Adya was designed to ?present an Indian experience that will allow those who are both familiar and less experienced with Indian cuisine to embark on a delicious, unique culinary journey.?

The restaurant, which is replacing California Teriyaki Grill, is set to open later this spring. It is part of a foodie evolution at the center, which has brought in contemporary concepts such as Blaze Pizza, Mendocino Farms, Tender Greens, Stax Cookie Bar and

Oh, we liked California Teriyaki Grill.

I wish someone would open a Sarku Japan in Irvine, they have one in the Mission Viejo Mall. I guess I've only seen Sarku in malls (Boston, Chicago) so maybe it won't work in a shopping center type environment.

Back