I'm not saying it's o.k. but I get at least a few of these per year so I always keep a close eye when I make those left turns.  Those idiots probably should turn right after realizing their mistake, if it's safe to do so, and make a U-turn somewhere but you know they won't.  I don't necessarily look at it as entitled people but just very careless and thoughtless.  But this is Irvine.  :p

The ones that I hate even more are the ones that turn left with me from the third left turn lane (right-most one), when that lane doesn't exist, and jam their way in front of you and puts everyone in danger when they could have gone half a block and U-turned somewhere.

The driver was probably playing on the phone. I have seen that so many times now. Driver is distracted and looking down but his peripheral vision catches cars moving on the adjacent lane. They decided that they must have missed the change of light and start going as well even though only turn lane is allowed to go.

Even worse are short yellow lights. Drivers look down and by the time they look up again the light has changed from green to red and they end up screeching to a halt or t-boning someone.

9/10 the correlating factor is a phone in their lap, not so much ethnicity

I see it happen all the time.  It can be anyone from an old asian man to a young asian woman (see what I did there).  But seriously, it's a wide range of people who do it from all races.  The only privilege in the situation here is you is you being able to make privilege comments. 

I see that you are obsessed with that issue right now, so I get it. 

I'm not sure what to think about it, and am rather ignorant about the case.  What did the cop actually do after he accidentally shot the person?  Did he follow protocol?  Second degree manslaughter doesn't seem that inappropriate based on what I've heard.

Is Liang being unfairly punished to make certain groups happy?  I guess that's where the scapegoat stuff comes in.  Will his sentence be more than necessary?  Is it easier for them to sentence him because he is Asian?

Is this another case where people of a race side with someone because of their race and not the facts?  BLM is a joke because BLM is too insanely biased for it's own good.  BLM doesn't care about facts, it only cares about race.  Basically, are the Asians that are backing up Liang doing the same thing that BLM is doing?

Based on what you wrote, manslaughter is totally appropriate.  Manslaughter is the charge for an accidental death due to negligence.

BTW, what Liang did is much worse than most of the BLM headline stuff.  The problem with the BLM is that it deals with lies and assumptions.  There's just a small handful of cases where the cops obviously did something wrong.  Sadly, not all of those cops get punished.  Michael Brown, for example, probably deserved exactly what happened to him.  BLM used him as thier stepping stone.

With the facts that we have, though, it's more difficult for the cop to get a pass.

Asians don't want to be equals to whites when it comes to BLM.  The media specifically finds cases where a white officer is involved with a black victim and then the media tries to smear the white officer.  Does the asian community want the media to try to smear asian officers as well?

I want less police corruption.  I want more police cameras.  I want less BLM bs. 

spootieho said:
  Michael Brown, for example, probably deserved exactly what happened to him. 

The difficult thing about these cases is whether one believes in absolute rights of an individual no matter their color, background, or even actions.  If someone just obeys an authoritarian figure, even when the authoritarian figure is wrong, they might escape consequences.  But if you fight back when the authoritarian figure is wrong (I realize it is not smart but it is definitely not incorrect to fight back)  does that mean he got what he deserved or that the authoritarian figure can go scott free?

I am sure in the olden days the rape victims also had to go through similar protests.  Nowadays everyone pretty much accept no matter what the rape victims actions were (provocative clothes, drunkenness etc) the perpetrator should get punished to the maximum.  So why shouldn't a properly trained police officer be punished for abusing his power? Especially the ones that have guns that can take away life so easily.  So BLM have to take any available incidents to push the issue.

There is no "accidental discharge", only negligent discharge either due to mechanical failure (i.e. Remington trigger) or failure to follow strict safety protocols.  The most basic firearm safety rule is that you NEVER put your finger on the trigger, until you have ID'd and sighted the target that you intend to shoot.

During the court proceedings it was revealed that both officers were not proficient in CPR, even though they were required to be trained.  They were basically spoon fed answers for the passing exam.  If the CPR training was this lax, I'd question how strict they were on the firearm training.

Peter Liang should be punished, the degree of his punishment is subject to debate, but it should not end with him.  This is a failure that goes back to police academy, those who are responsible for training officers that were negligent in their duties should also be held responsible.

MagicJ1zz said:
My position as a Chinese is that, as unfortunate as it may sound, somebody has to take the fall for this one because a life was lost.  Peter was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  There are people who argue that they shouldn't have sent two rookie cops to do vertical patrol.  Actually, this has nothing to do with rookie cops or not.  Peter even testified on the bench that he did these patrols hundreds of times, in his own words.  " "I've done hundreds of verticals, and this is how I always do it," Liang said."  Which I think he refers to one flashlight in one hand, a glock 19 in the other.

Time and place does not excuse him for failing to follow basic firearm safety protocol.  His glock was tested to require 11 1/2 lb trigger pull, and he was not supposed to have his finger on the trigger.

There are 2 possible causes for the negligent discharge.  First is mechanical fault of the pistol, and second is the officer's failure in keeping his finger OFF the trigger and OUTSIDE of the trigger guard.

There is also the procedure issue of NYPD's policy on officers drawing their weapons during patrol.  IMO there is no reason to conduct regular patrols with weapons drawn, and if the condition was dangerous enough that officers had to keep their weapons drawn, then NYPD should not have sent just 2 rookie officers.

For civilians, when we go to the local gun range, there's a range officer who will yell at us if we fail to follow safety procedures.  For police and military, there is no such thing in the field.  This is why they go through Police Academy or Military boot camp where proper firearm handling is drilled into their heads.  Right now, I don't have high confidence in the quality of NYPD training.  If Peter Liang's partner saw him put his finger on the trigger, he should have said something.  Failing to do so is also an act of negligence.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/nypd-officer-peter-liang-trained-cpr-article-1.2534127

"Liang, convicted Thursday of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of Gurley in a dark stairwell at the Pink Houses in 2014, testified that his academy instructor gave the class the answers to almost the entire CPR exam.

?The last 10 questions they didn?t want to give the answer because they didn?t want everyone to have identical scores,? Liang testified.

Liang?s partner Sean Landau testified he practiced less than two minutes on a mannequin. An NYPD spokesman said the Internal Affairs Bureau is ?reviewing? the CPR issues raised at the trial.

-----

If the instructors at the academy is helping students cheat on CPR exam, what else are they cheating on?

MagicJ1zz said:
momopi said:
Time and place does not excuse him for failing to follow basic firearm safety protocol.  His glock was tested to require 11 1/2 lb trigger pull, and he was not supposed to have his finger on the trigger.

I totally agree.  At the end of the day, he shouldn't have had his service weapon drawn.  11.5 lb trigger is quite heavy.  My stock Glock 19 is only 5.5 lb.  Still, you have to be really pulling it to really make it fire.  I think the dept. needs to make a rule for rookie cops that their weapon shouldn't be chambered with a round.  If the round wasn't chambered, none of this would've happened.  Given the facts that a rookie cop is more than likely to be startled and panic in extreme situations, rookie cops should be taught to cock the slide back when they're REALLY serious about firing.

If I'm not mistaken, the Army's Beretta 92 (M9?) has trigger pull weight of 11-14 lbs.  Ruger revolvers are also rated 9-14 lb trigger pull for double action, or 9-11 lbs for the newer LCR polymer frame models.  The triggers are heavy for safety reasons.

Trigger jobs and aftermarket trigger springs are in vogue, but I would rather learn how to use a heavy trigger than to tempt fate with a firearm.  If you've never touched a scary light trigger, I own a RWS/Diana 34 air rifle with T06 trigger factory set to ~2 lbs that you can try at Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino.

According to Jeff Cooper's color code rule, you're not supposed to even draw your weapon until "Condition Red", and this is after you have already identified a specific threat.  The actions of the specific threat will dictate your response.  But in less conditions (Yellow, Orange) you are supposed to keep your weapon holstered.  IMO for NYPD to tolerate their officers doing regular patrols with weapon drawn, loaded or not, is an issue itself.  If the patrol was dangerous enough to warrant keeping your weapons drawn, then they should not have sent just 2 rookie officers.

MagicJ1zz said:
I'm here.  I'm just suffering from Vegas withdrawal from my bachelor party.  Let's just say... 4 hours of sleep every night, beach club at 11, night club till 4am, followed by strip club till 7am and then 4 bottles of belvedere every day really fucks up your body...  I did manage to hook up with one asian girl at Drais... rather not discuss about that because she happens to live in Irvine (no kidding right!?). 

My buddy has all the photos stashed in their possession.  Apparently, I was making it rain with my stack of $20s and getting lap dances in the club by these Asian girls until the bouncers told me that they can't do that. 

There is no question about it.  Vegas is totally sin city and especially in a club, not so much the strip club.

I hope, if I have a daughter, she would grow up sensible enough to not marry someone like 

Back